Bell Green: Planning Inspectorate Public Enquiry announced

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Growsydenham

Re: Bell Green: Planning Inspectorate Public Enquiry announc

Post by Growsydenham »

For those following this saga, an application has been posted today to convert the ToysRUs building at Bell Green into an Aldi. What this means for this application I’m not sure.
JRW

Post by JRW »

All mention of Aldi has been removed from the redevelopment application. They are now applying to demolish to build a speculative retail shed, with no tenant arranged.
prince

Post by prince »

Growsydenham wrote:For those following this saga, an application has been posted today to convert the ToysRUs building at Bell Green into an Aldi. What this means for this application I’m not sure.
Well that’s great. I was hoping that that the former toys r us unit would be taken by Poundstretcher! It seems likely that if Aldi take this unit, Poundstretcher will inevitably take the old coop building. Not what many of us will want on the high street! And even more inevitable the gas holders still come down!
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

Growsydenham wrote:For those following this saga, an application has been posted today to convert the ToysRUs building at Bell Green into an Aldi. What this means for this application I’m not sure.
Whilst this looks like a little surprising at first glance, it is in fact a fairly prudent move by Aldi.

Probably increases the certainty of success and will certainly shorten the planning stage and construction phase lead times and Aldi can commence trading on this site.at a much earlier juncture.

Not at all sure what genericising the description of the store on the planning application will mean, but LB Lewisham's counsel's advice appears to be that the retail space constraints, as defined in earlier development applications, are in fact outdated. It could be the case therefore that the Inspector will concur with council's counsel and an increase in retail space might be viewed as permissible.