Noise in Lower Syd last night

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
JamesSyd

Noise in Lower Syd last night

Post by JamesSyd »

Does anyone know what was happening in Lower Syd last night? There was loud music, shouting into microphones, thumping bass etc until about 3am.
syd-gal

Re: Noise in Lower Syd last night

Post by syd-gal »

There was a party, I think in the allotments, but that ended by about 11 pm.
maestro

Post by maestro »

I could hear it, kept me awake until well after 3am until it eventually stopped. Particularly inconsiderate when you need to have bedroom windows open to let cooler air in during this weather. :x
Jollylolly

Post by Jollylolly »

I have no probs with occasional parties that go on until late. However, I would agree that 3am is way tooo long. It was coming from near Home Park I think. Hopefully a one off!
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

Is this the same lot blasting music out tonight (1am weds morning), where's it coming from? Sounds like a sound system, mics etc.

So bloody annoying when you have early start for work and need the windows open.
Chris Best

Post by Chris Best »

The anti-social behaviour in the early hours was from the Hazel Grove estate and the music stopped at 3.15am followed by the noise of people leaving the party. I have raised a complaint with the police as the 101 number was not answered and asked Lewisham Homes to look at these neighbour disturbances.
Holaquease

Post by Holaquease »

Chris Best wrote:The anti-social behaviour in the early hours was from the Hazel Grove estate and the music stopped at 3.15am followed by the noise of people leaving the party. I have raised a complaint with the police as the 101 number was not answered and asked Lewisham Homes to look at these neighbour disturbances.
Thank you. It was insane, especially on a Tuesday night. I live outside the estate and it kept me awake. I really pity the neighbours that live closer.

Seems like it's going to be the motorbikes tonight.
catwoman

Post by catwoman »

I live on hazel grove and I am not hearing this what part is it? Please.
John H

Post by John H »

Chris Best wrote:The anti-social behaviour in the early hours was from the Hazel Grove estate and the music stopped at 3.15am followed by the noise of people leaving the party. I have raised a complaint with the police as the 101 number was not answered and asked Lewisham Homes to look at these neighbour disturbances.
Good luck with that. They are answerable only to your friend Mr. Khan and he does not give a damn.
stuart

Post by stuart »

John H wrote:They are answerable only to your friend Mr. Khan and he does not give a damn.
Incorrect. The Met is jointly responsible to the Home Office and the Mayor of London. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropoli ... ce_Service

And why do you say this Mayor doesn't care about social responsibility?

Stuart
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Noise complaints are not the responsibility of the police. They have no powers to deal with noise. You need to contact the council.

The failures of the 101 line are wholly unacceptable, however.
Pally

Post by Pally »

John H wrote:
Good luck with that. They are answerable only to your friend Mr. Khan and he does not give a damn.
That is not the case. And what evidence is there that Sadiq Khan doesn't give a damn?
Chris Best

Post by Chris Best »

Below is the detailed reply from the MPS setting out the reporting online for ASB - Lewisham Council also has online reporting for noise nuisance - https://www.lewisham.gov.uk/myservices/ ... fault.aspx

May I please start by advising you that the Metropolitan Police do not have any powers when it comes to noise nuisance and Environment Health Officers are there to assist with such matters and at Lewisham council they only have an online reporting option. I would advise for this to be raised with your local council if this is an on going issue. I will also provide you with a contact number for your local safer neighbourhood team which is 0208 649 3598 - please be mindful that this is not manned 24 hours. The safer neighbourhood team are a small group of PCSO's and Police Officers that are responsible for dealing with community based problems that affect members of the community within a particular neighbourhood. Below I have copied our standard operating procedures for your information:
Under the provisions of the Noise Act 1996 and other associated legislation, your local authority has a mandatory obligation to deal with any noise which is deemed to be a 'nuisance'. It's not simply at night where the act might come into force, nor is it restricted to common complaints like music and loud parties - general traffic noise, DIY/construction projects and use of other kind of machinery is also incorporated into the legislation.

In terms of your complaint regarding the 101 system I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience this has caused you, we are in the process of trying to rectify the situation and put solutions in place - this is being addressed at the highest level. I have detailed below ways in which the MPS is currently trying to deal with the delays being experienced on the 101 phone lines.
The MPS is currently trying to address the delays that are received particularly on the 101 and 999 phone systems. The operators who answer the phones are responsible for answering the 999 calls as well as the 101 calls and they are answered in strict order of priority. The 999 calls taking obvious precedence and then the 101 calls are answered the oldest first. Members of the public who call on the 999 system have priority over those that call on the 101 system for obvious reasons that it is perceived that these people require genuine immediate police assistance. However, their reasons are not always to report an emergency and sometimes this line is used as callers have no credit or to report incidents that are not genuine emergencies. The problem with this is that it then causes further delays and pressure on both the 999 and 101 service essentially meaning that calls start queuing. The MPS has taken steps to try and alleviate the pressure on the phone lines by launching a huge recruitment campaign. However, as you can imagine it does take time to sufficiently train new staff to reach the high standards expected and required in this working environment but never the less some of the new recruits are now coming on to the floors to take calls from the public. The shift pattern has been altered at the beginning of last month to ensure that more staff are available for a larger portion of the day and night although the effects of this are still being monitored as it is in it's early stages. Finally police officers are taken from their normal role of patrolling the streets to answer the phones when demand is perceived to be exceptionally high, although this isn't often never the less it is an option that is considered. This also is not an ideal answer to the problem as it obviously causes shortfalls elsewhere. Unlimited overtime is offered to plug any gaps that are foreseen in staffing levels and this is widely taken up and is the most successful at boasting staffing levels. As you can see the issue is being addressed at the highest level and protocols are in place to try to reduce the queuing on the phone lines as much as possible.

To prevent the queues on the phone lines the MPS is also currently developing the website, and although it seems a bit late in the day given the level of modern technology it never the less is hoped to be more efficiently running by the end of the Summer. Members of the public will therefore be able to deal with the incidents that they wish to report essentially anti social behaviour which amounts to a large volume of the calls that we receive on line. We have received a number of complaints that members of the public have been directed to the website after trying to call 101 only to find that they are then unable to report anti social behaviour/traffic incidents via the website and are consequently referred back to the 101 system. I have raised this issue to the Chief Superintendent who is the most senior officer in charge of this department, and he has authorised the changing of the message that members of the public receive while waiting on the 101 line, which has now been introduced, however, at this time this inevitably leads to further queues on the 101 phone lines.

The issue of delays on the 999 phone lines is addressed daily with direct discussion with BT, at the highest levels and so I can assure you that problems around this area are continually monitored to ensure that everything is being done that is possible to reduce the delays.

It is currently being developed to bring in an automated system that allows members of the public to be transferred directly to the department that can best assist them rather than hanging onto the 101 phone line for an indefinite period which appears to be happening at the present time. This system is almost ready to go live and it is hoped that the date for this will be the 13th August. We also have the MPS website where there is a section on the bottom that says "contact us". If you go to this section and then to the drop down menu that says "discuss something else," this gives you the ability to advise of the problem. This is manned 24/7. You may not receive an immediate reply as the MPS is currently receiving 1 email a minute and in times of peak demand on the phone lines some Operators are removed from the digital side of policing to answer the phones to reduce the queues. There are other facilities available on the website such as Twitter and a Live Chat forum were issues such as this can be reported. These particular features are only manned 0800-2200 hours, and so this can provide an issue particularly for noise nuisance complaints, although as I explained these are primarily dealt with by the Environmental Health Officer (EHO) at the local council. It is envisaged that the Digital side of policing is going to be much more efficiently running to report more incidents particularly Anti Social Behavioural (ASB) issues by September 2018, and fully operational by October 2018.

In short the MPS is trying to resource ways in which the delays on the 101 and 999 lines can best be reduced but at this present time it would appear that the demand is just so great that the delays are likely to continue until the full implementation of the protocols, as stated above and below have been introduced as a complete package.

I sincerely apologise for the frustrations that you were met with in relation to this issue on behalf of the MPS and I hope that the explanations that I have provided in how the MPS is trying to deal with these frustrations, essentially in regards to the 101 phone line go at least someway into restoring your confidence in the Police Service as a whole.
John H

Post by John H »

Pally wrote:
John H wrote:
That is not the case. And what evidence is there that Sadiq Khan doesn't give a damn?
What evidence is there that he does?
John H

Post by John H »

Well you did your best Chris Best.... A lengthy, verbose and largely unhelpful response. The next question you might ask is "what happens when someone does manage to fight their way through all of this and actually registers a complaint?"
Deltacute

Post by Deltacute »

That party has happened the same time every year (first weekend in August - somewhere near home park ) for the past 3-4 years. This year’s party was probably the worst I’ve heard due to the person on the mic and as mentioned in previous posts the fact that it went on for sooooo long
Last edited by Deltacute on 12 Aug 2018 07:39, edited 1 time in total.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Well you did your best John H.... A short and unhelpful response that didn't answer the questions asked of you ...
FTFY.

Stuart :(
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

John H wrote:Well you did your best Chris Best.... A lengthy, verbose and largely unhelpful response. The next question you might ask is "what happens when someone does manage to fight their way through all of this and actually registers a complaint?"
Well, if it’s a noise complaint, nothing. Because it’s not a police matter. I thought that was quite clear as t was covered at the start of the post.
JRW

Post by JRW »

This year's party on the night of the 4th/5th of August was held at the back of Byron Close. I actually went and looked, and saw the lights and dancing across the park; the noise was quite unbelievable. Lewisham needs to sort out a reporting system if they can't afford a patrol, so this can be tackled.
RJM

Post by RJM »

JRW wrote:This year's party on the night of the 4th/5th of August was held at the back of Byron Close. I actually went and looked, and saw the lights and dancing across the park; the noise was quite unbelievable. Lewisham needs to sort out a reporting system if they can't afford a patrol, so this can be tackled.
A decent reporting system would be nice. The cul de sac backing on to our house has an incredibly loud party on August BH Saturday most years and there's nowhere to report it! We're stuck unable to use our garden in the day due to noise, and being kept awake at night - fortunately just the one day, but if it's not the only place it happens then there really should be someone to deal with it. I used to live in Tower Hamlets (not the best run of boroughs at the time) and they had a noise team who would come out at night!