Stupid new 4 way lights in Sydenham at Mayow junction

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
mikej

Stupid new 4 way lights in Sydenham at Mayow junction

Post by mikej »

What is the point of these? As far as I can see, in spite of the coned off areas, vehicles can still pass both ways on all 4 roads (Sydenham/Girton/Mayow).
It's causing huge delays and (presumably) massive pollution in the area.

Anyone know who's responsible?
Parker1970

Re: Stupid new 4 way lights in Sydenham at Mayow junction

Post by Parker1970 »

mikej wrote: 15 Jan 2019 13:15 What is the point of these? As far as I can see, in spite of the coned off areas, vehicles can still pass both ways on all 4 roads (Sydenham/Girton/Mayow).
It's causing huge delays and (presumably) massive pollution in the area.

Anyone know who's responsible?
Oh so that's what it is. I noticed when I got home that traffic at Cobbs Corner heading down through sydenham was at a standstill and stretched up Kirkdale and Westwood hill. I know it can get busy but it was particularly bad last night.

According to Roadworks.org they are there for another 8 days (23rd Jan)
mikej

Post by mikej »

What I was trying to say, is that the lights are totally unnecessary IMO - traffic can get past the roadworks area on all four approaches.

And as Parker says, they're causing huge delays
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

mikej wrote: 15 Jan 2019 13:53 What I was trying to say, is that the lights are totally unnecessary IMO - traffic can get past the roadworks area on all four approaches.

The very likely answer is probably Health & Safety, adequate distance separating the roadworkers from the traffic. It's also possible that the scale of the road incursion may change as the works move forward. It appears there are also high voltage works going on.

The works are listed as BT.
TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT ONLY DSLAM STREET CABINET & POWER INSTALLATION plus PCP RESHELL. Excavate to lay BT ducts, Lay concrete plinth, Stand cab. Excavate to expose low voltage cable for Power Connection and lay duct. POWER engineer to carry out inspection prior to jointing. POWER jointing team to insert cable and execute jointing works. Reinstate, Check and clear site.