SCAMS

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Cathy

Re: SCAMS

Post by Cathy »

I've received numerous calls from an officer ??? (can never catch the name) saying that I owe HMRC money and that if I don't contact them by pressing/contacting them a warrant will be issued for my arrest. Needless to say I am still waiting...I never click on anything...if in doubt find an official telephone number and ring them.
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

Cathy wrote: 18 Jun 2020 20:18 I've received numerous calls from an officer ??? (can never catch the name) saying that I owe HMRC money and that if I don't contact them by pressing/contacting them a warrant will be issued for my arrest. Needless to say I am still waiting...I never click on anything...if in doubt find an official telephone number and ring them.
Yeah, I got this one today. HMRC have a fraud investigation open on me apparently. I hung up, poured a glass of wine and moved on with my day.
mosy

Post by mosy »

A new scam targets people who've ordered a Covid 19 test, asking for bank details to pay for the test, which is free of course. (News this morning.) Sigh.
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

Good alert.

Thank you.
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

A new very hostile scam call this morning and rather unusually to my mobile phone number. The scammers faked the CLI number to make it look like the call was coming from Bradford.

It started with with an announcement that was a grave and very false warning that HMRC has instigated a fraud case against me and that I am to be prosecuted. It invited me to press #1 to speak to the officer concerned.

A man with an unidentifiable accent announced that he was Officer Daniel Green and that he was in charge of prosecuting me.

I advised him that I wanted him to keep talking as he had got through to the National Fraud Intelligence Bureau (National FIB that abbreviation is funny - and it exists) and that his call was being traced as he spoke.

Silence, a wait for 4-5 seconds and then he terminated the call. Scammer made to go away.

As in all of these situations, you must reject all requests to respond - you must NEVER provide bank details or credit card details.

NEVER believe any call that is designed first of all to scare you and then to con you into providing information to a scammer who will use that information to rob you.

Robbers, thieves, criminals - call them what you will but rob you of as much money as they can extract from your account is what they are experts at.

NEVER offer to make payment or provide details AT ANY TIME.

EVER.

ETA: Followed by a second afternoon attack on the same mobile number this time via SMS.

A fake message was received with an abrupt your Paypal account is currently suspended.

It is not.

But the message had a link in it which took me to a perfect copy of a Paypal login screen.

Had I been duped into proceeding, I would have provided my login name and my password to my Paypal account which the criminal could then have used to steal my money.

Simply by using these details and making purchases of services that I would not see rather than goods that can only be delivered to my address, any amount of money could have been removed without early detection.

But then, I wasn't duped.

They used a unique code in the message so will therefore probably know my mobile number cross-linked to their attempt - but they did NOT get my login details.
JGD

Post by JGD »

Brand new fake scam arrived in my inbox this afternoon.

Looked genuine from the TV Licencing body - but was a fake.

Watch out for it.
Update Information Required !

Please keep this email safe, as it tells you how to update your details.
Tv Licensing wants to inform you that your Information records are out of date.

For safety reasons, we need you to update your details as soon as possible.
Failure to update your records will result in account and licence cancelation.

Update your information records quickly and easily at: https://[Redacted - text looked genuine but it hid the scammers payload address]

Update your details !