where are our closest bluebell woods??

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
mikej

where are our closest bluebell woods??

Post by mikej »

As the title says, I'm feeling the need to revel in nature's beauty and wondered where our nearest bluebell woods might be - can anyone recommend any? Happy to drive or travel by train.
JMLF

Re: where are our closest bluebell woods??

Post by JMLF »

I’m pretty sure someone told me the back of Beckenham place park has lovely bluebells but not sure if it’s at the scale for what you’re looking for?!
michael

Post by michael »

This is an excellent place for bluebells:

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/emmett ... tts-garden
John H

Post by John H »

lots of bluebells in Beckenham Place Park. Sadly they are Spanish bluebells
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

You’ve just missed the peak of the bluebells in Beckenham Place Park woods, but they were spectacular. Best last week of April, usually. As part of the restoration of the woods, a lot of invasive ground cover was cleared late this winter, which should allow for an even bigger carpet of bluebells next year. There are also some new paths through the woods to show off the bluebells. If you go this weekend you see the tail end of them, but they are fading fast. You know when they’ve peaked when you see a blue haze in the middle distance as you walk through the woods.
gerispringer

Post by gerispringer »

Toys Hill-other side of Westerham- park in the NT car park and walk through th Elwood’s to Emmetts Garden. Bluebells all the way.
sherlomi

Post by sherlomi »

Sydenham Hill woods has bluebells - not carpets of them but bluebells none the less and the woods are beautiful.
syd-gal

Post by syd-gal »

I went to Beckenham Place Park on Sunday, and yes the bluebells are on their last legs. But there are plenty of English ones, not Spanish ones. I was going to add a photo, but don't know how to.