Sydenham Tyres

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Hissing Syd

Re: Sydenham Tyres

Post by Hissing Syd »

Thank you, that is appreciated and we will write also.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

If they are repairing cars in the street (and it’s not an emergency) it is an offence under s.54(1) of the Metropolitan Police Act 1839.
mosy

Post by mosy »

bensonby, with the best will in the world, surely after this length of time, the trick would be to persuade the powers that be that they should actually do something to enforce rules already in place?
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

No idea. I can’t say I’m particularly aware of the issue. I was merely pointing out a piece of relatively obscure legislation that I’m not sure many police officers would be aware of that the premises may be guilty of that could be brought to the attention of the neighbourhood police.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Thank you. It might be useful grist to the mill if there is a tenable police/criminal aspect that could bypass council reticence.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Discrete photography of work on public highway may be a useful tool when you find a friendly bobby.

Stuart
syd

Post by syd »

I passed the shop and all the tyres have been removed!!

It took a while but It looks so much better, now on to my next task
JRW

Post by JRW »

Sydenham Tyres has been taken over by a new business, and they seem really nice. The previous crew left when the building had to be substantially rebuilt, on the orders of Building Control. The tyres were hiding massive damage from a vehicle hit, and the brickwork of the gable had a huge and growing crack that threatened to drop bricks on the unwary.

The builders did a wonderful job, saving the bricks and copying the unusual bond used on the whole terrace. The front window is new, and the wall was rebuilt from the left-hand side of the 1st floor window, round to the far side of the gable. Glad you couldn't spot the difference! It shows how skilled the work is.
danmarwil

Post by danmarwil »

That’s great to hear on many levels, the last lot were absolute cowboys.
syd

Post by syd »

JRW wrote: 2 Oct 2022 13:39 Sydenham Tyres has been taken over by a new business, and they seem really nice. The previous crew left when the building had to be substantially rebuilt, on the orders of Building Control. The tyres were hiding massive damage from a vehicle hit, and the brickwork of the gable had a huge and growing crack that threatened to drop bricks on the unwary.

The builders did a wonderful job, saving the bricks and copying the unusual bond used on the whole terrace. The front window is new, and the wall was rebuilt from the left-hand side of the 1st floor window, round to the far side of the gable. Glad you couldn't spot the difference! It shows how skilled the work is.
Yes its a great job! If only other businesses showed the same respect.