Mad Dough

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Sydenham Syd

Re: Mad Dough

Post by Sydenham Syd »

El Cid wrote: 1 Sep 2019 21:35 Regarding Hibagon providing "world-class Japanese food", all I know is that any time it's open there's virtually no customers eating there, and they're always advertising for staff.

I admit I haven't eaten at Hibagon, or ordered a takeaway, and I recall when it first opened six or seven years ago it had rave reviews on the forum.

But my sense is that thing musts have gone down hill since then (this happens a lot with restaurants). Otherwise why do so few people eat there.
I tried to get a table there about four weeks ago on a Saturday evening at about 8 and was told I would have to wait until 9.30pm. If a restaurant has been open for seven years and is still trading, I reckon it’s probably doing ok. Remains to be seen, but the quality of the food is very good. Give it a go and fill some of those seats yourself
marymck

Post by marymck »

I haven't eaten in Hibagon for a while, but purely because it's been full whenever I've tried. I used to eat there a lot and will again. I love the freshness of the made to order sushi, the salmon don and bacon wrapped asparagus. This is the place also that introduced me to black garlic. Yumm. Oh and those duck loaded bun thingies.
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

Only ever eaten in Hibagon the once, but we routinely order deliveries from there. I suspect they do a lot of deliveries
KPR

Post by KPR »

Just round the corner so will give it a go, but I worry they’ll struggle because the passing trade isn’t that great in that location compared to the high street and food places down here have struggled historically (apart from the takeaways further down with their very annoying habit of parking on the pavement, but that’s another story).

As for Hibagon, nice food, but ‘world class’ is a bit of a stretch. Bit like when Raffaelle was in the Standard as the best Italian in London on the basis of some Tripadvisor reviews and there were apparently US tourists heading out to Sydenham to try it. Just shows how you can’t trust online reviews at all - their food is fine, but compared to Italian food in Italy? Average at best. Ditto Hibagon compared to actual Japanese food - note that Japanese restaurants outside of central London very rarely have Japanese staff (Hibagon’s are Nepalese, the place in CP is run by Chinese - not saying that you have to be Japanese to cook Japanese food, but the top end places employ Japanese staff trained in Japan and use authentic ingredients, and you can tell the difference).
Jollylolly

Post by Jollylolly »

Is there an opening date? I can’t wait! Wonder if the Alfred would let you have a takeaway pizza with your pint outside (as with seafood van??)
KEVD

Post by KEVD »

Walked past today and it looks nice. No opening date I could see.
KEVD

Post by KEVD »

Just saw on Twitter. They are having a soft opening on October 17th.
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

Newtosydenham

Post by Newtosydenham »

Had a great pizza there last night and my husband had a “very good” coffee and freshly baked pan au chocolat (straight from the pizza oven) this morning!

It’s BYO which I’m a big fan of and the guys running it are very friendly. Big thumbs up from me! A very welcome addition to this end of the high street.
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

Impressed that they do three different vegan pizzas. They should make more of this info as a business, people will travel a bit further for this stuff: https://static.wixstatic.com/ugd/f515ca ... 2aa224.pdf
Jollylolly

Post by Jollylolly »

Our pizzas were top quality. Really lovely
Concerned1234

Post by Concerned1234 »

As long as it’s gluten-free “policy” is better than Mamma Dough’s, I’ll be down...

Although the “gluten free available” note on the menu is dangerously close to the vegan section, so not holding my breath...
HappySyd

Post by HappySyd »

Had 2 great pizzas last night, Whatahell and StreetsofNaples, along with burrata and avocado flatbread. Definitely recommend. Lovely guys too. Wishing them all the best. Will be back.
KPR

Post by KPR »

Already been a couple of times - staff very friendly and food very good, so can’t fault it. Seemed busy both times too, so fingers crossed that will continue. Opens 8am so may get coffee on days I go past in the morning.