Theft in broad daylight

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
El Cid

Theft in broad daylight

Post by El Cid »

A friend of mine he lives in a road near Mayo Park had a new washing machine stolen at around 2 pm this afternoon. The delivery guys had, stupidly, left it in the garden. When my friend came out of the house, he saw all the bubble wrapping on the ground, but no washing machine. He thinks it might have been stolen by scrap metal guys who cruise the streets looking for stuff to sell. It just shows that you can't be two careful when people are prepared to nick something like a washing machine in the middle of the afternoon in full view of neighbours.
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Re: Theft in broad daylight

Post by JGD »

Horror story - your friend's case to be argued with the supplier, deliverer and respective insurance companies will be a tale to be told too.

On Perry Hill the fastest drive-by pick-up in daylight is around six minutes. Average 12-25 minutes for white goods. Once watched an eastern European lady lift my defunct Neff oven single handed from our garden (awaiting an official paid-for uplift) and carry it off to her white transit van. For information, it had taken two of us to remove it and place it in the garden.

Computer kit is less popular but for some reason tv's vanish quickly too - even if labelled "Not Working" .

Is there a table or league published anywhere?
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

JGD wrote: 24 Nov 2019 19:08 Horror story - your friend's case to be argued with the supplier, deliverer and respective insurance companies will be a tale to be told too.

On Perry Hill the fastest drive-by pick-up in daylight is around six minutes. Average 12-25 minutes for white goods. Once watched an eastern European lady lift my defunct Neff oven single handed from our garden (awaiting an official paid-for uplift) and carry it off to her white transit van. For information, it had taken two of us to remove it and place it in the garden.

Computer kit is less popular but for some reason tv's vanish quickly too - even if labelled "Not Working" .

Is there a table or league published anywhere?
How do you know she was Eastern European?
mosy

Post by mosy »

There was a radio news item today that the latest trend is of stealing mattresses from hotels.
RJM

Post by RJM »

mosy wrote: 9 Dec 2019 13:38 There was a radio news item today that the latest trend is of stealing mattresses from hotels.
I'm torn between thinking that this is a bad thing (obviously), and a level of admiration for the organisation that must be involved in that - mattresses are heavy!
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

mosy wrote: 9 Dec 2019 13:38 There was a radio news item today that the latest trend is of stealing mattresses from hotels.
I heard that on Radio X today.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Honestly, it's in The Times for any doubters:
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/matt ... -fs8d9kml3
and elsewhere in print.

I imagine it's either dead of night with ground floor windows likely to be left open or more likely people in overalls with "papers" saying they've been contracted to remove old mattresses.

Well, they embedded car radios to avoid snatching, so embedding mattresses (<- geddit) ought to be easy. Too late if the horse has bolted though.