Local choir recommendation?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Kaper

Local choir recommendation?

Post by Kaper »

Happy New Year. I’m keen to join a choir this year- one that meets on a weekday evening (so the Sydenham Singers is out.) I’ve read that the OneTreeHill choir is a good one, but don’t know anyone who is actually part of that it any other local groups, so interested to hear any experiences. Thanks.
Robin Orton

Re: Local choir recommendation?

Post by Robin Orton »

I sing in the Lewisham Choral Society which meets on Monday nights at St Laurence's church, Catford. A large but very friendly choir. There are no auditions, and we have singers with a wide range of expertise and experience, but we sing a quite challenging classical and contemporary repertoire. Next Monday we shall start rehearsing the Monteverdi Vespers.

A friend of mine sings in 'Raise the Roof'. a community choir that meets at the Horniman Museum on Thursday evenings. It encourages people with no singing experience to join. I went to one of its concerts a few years ago and was impressed.

The Sydenham Singers are another community choir, but I see they rehearse in the afternoon.
Kaper

Post by Kaper »

Thanks Robin, that’s really helpful- will check those out. I’m very much a beginner- haven’t sang since school ( I’m discounting karaoke!!) but have wanted to join a choir for a while now.
Michael Viner

Post by Michael Viner »

There's also the St.Christophers Hospice Choir which starts again on Monday 13th January ;we meet on Mondays - 7pm to 8.30pm at St.Christophers Hospice,Lawrie Park Rd. Sydenham. It's a nice,fun choir-and it's free
huntress

Post by huntress »

I joined Raise the Roof choir about 18 months ago having not sung since University days. It is quite a small natural voice choir. The members are very friendly with quite a wide age range.

The acoustics at the Horniman are excellent and we sing a variety of songs from across the world usually around a particular theme.
Members of the choir take part in Sing for Water each year and other events.

Term dates: 19th January-26th March & 23rd April-30th June.Thursdays 7-9pm. Registration 6.45pm.

Term fee £99, Drop in rate £10
Student rate £5 Drop in (with student ID)

Do come & give it a try.
Kaper

Post by Kaper »

Thanks Michael and Huntress, both sound great possibilities.
Thursdays would be a good evening for me. I’ll have a look on line and register interest ( or pop along)
Mandeville

Post by Mandeville »

If Thursday is a good time, you could try the Welcome Choir in Crystal Palace, meets at St John the Evangelist, Sylvan Hill SE19 2RX 7.00-9.00. It's another Natural Voice choir and is very friendly, joyful and relaxed.
https://therosewindow.org/choirs
Term starts Thursday 9th.