Contactless Card Payments

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Parker1970

Contactless Card Payments

Post by Parker1970 »

Just to let you all know that as of today, the contactless card limit has been increased to £45. It may take a while for all terminals in stores to update, but you should find it rolling out quite quickly. Whilst this was originally introduced to reduce the use of cash during the Covid-19 period, it has been decided that the limit will stay this way even once we are on the other side of it.
Last edited by Parker1970 on 1 Apr 2020 17:59, edited 1 time in total.
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Re: Contactless Payments

Post by JGD »

This is welcome news for actual card-users.

For those that already use smart phones to pay contactless - the limit has been substantially greater for some time.

The constraint that has existed though has been with the retailer or vendor. Traders can still choose to limit the maximum value of contactless transaction they will process in their machines before a chip and pin payment becomes necessary.

Some of course were not aware that the level had to be adjusted by them - and I wonder of this new maximum of £45 will require some to adjust their payment machines locally. Or will card machine suppliers roll-out a universal update, therefore reducing what our local traders will have to do.

Edited to add
: Apologies Parker1970 - you cover that in part in your post.
Parker1970

Re: Contactless Payments

Post by Parker1970 »

JGD wrote: 1 Apr 2020 14:26

Some of course were not aware that the level had to be adjusted by them - and I wonder of this new maximum of £45 will require some to adjust their payment machines locally. Or will card machine suppliers roll-out a universal update, therefore reducing what our local traders will have to do.

Edited to add
: Apologies Parker1970 - you cover that in part in your post.
No worries. Reading your reply made me realize I should have clarified, as you have, it is card contactless I am referring to. I work in the card payment industry and you are absolutely 100% correct that many retailers do not realize they need to call their acquirer/terminal provider in order to raise HVP (High Value Purchases) for contactless payments made by Apple Pay or Google Pay (Was Android Pay) as the retailer does need to decide a new limit for themselves. Contactless payments by phone require the phone to be unlocked, therefore it is no different to entering a PiN which is why this was changed. Many retailers still have the £30 limit even on phone payments purely because they don't realize they need to call.
syenhamboy

Re: Contactless Card Payments

Post by syenhamboy »

Shops that take contactless the linit was £30 now increased to £45 (where they have activated it) GOOGLE PAY AND APPLE PAY are processed differently and there is no normal limit, the phone has to be unlocked and some higher value sales require a PIN or fingerprint for confirmation.
Not all shops that take contactless take GOOGLE PAY and APPLE PAY, so you can use your phone but only up to the £30 or £45 limit.

Most banks now force you to use chip and pin on every 4th or 5th contactless transaction to prevent unauthorised contactless being used endlessly. To limit the number of fradulent transactions.