Outrageous Acorn Estate Agents

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Tim Lund

Outrageous Acorn Estate Agents

Post by Tim Lund »

Just hearing from a neighbour that someone, presumably paid for by Acorn Estate agents, went into their front garden and posted a board saying "LET BY ACORN". Totally untrue, as they admitted when some other neighbours rang to complain.

Didn't Lee Newham organise some action a few years back encouraging a better standard of behaviour from local agents to do with their posting?
Parker1970

Re: Outrageous Acorn Estate Agents

Post by Parker1970 »

Tim Lund wrote: 12 Jun 2020 13:18 Just hearing from a neighbour that someone, presumably paid for by Acorn Estate agents, went into their front garden and posted a board saying "LET BY ACORN". Totally untrue, as they admitted when some other neighbours rang to complain.

Didn't Lee Newham organise some action a few years back encouraging a better standard of behaviour from local agents to do with their posting?
I do recall some action yes... I remember posting about it here as at one point, there were 8 "Let by" or "Sold by" agent boards pinned to the wall by my living room window... 4 on either side.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Maybe Acorn just got the address wrong? Estate agents use subcontractors for placing and collecting sign boards so mistakes or inattentiveness can happen.

As I understand it, new legal rules came in a few years ago, whereby a "For Sale" board can be placed only if commissioned for that property and "Let By" signs can only be left for 14 days after letting.

I rang several agents when the new rules came in (a while back now) re their boards aplenty adorning a perimeter wall like a pack of cards. Agents were happy to remove them (unless justifiably there). I was assured that their boards are expensive and they prefer to take them back rather than risk having them trashed. A polite phone call ought to work if a board is redundant.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

mosy wrote: 12 Jun 2020 16:33 Maybe Acorn just got the address wrong? Estate agents use subcontractors for placing and collecting sign boards so mistakes or inattentiveness can happen.

As I understand it, new legal rules came in a few years ago, whereby a "For Sale" board can be placed only if commissioned for that property and "Let By" signs can only be left for 14 days after letting.

I rang several agents when the new rules came in (a while back now) re their boards aplenty adorning a perimeter wall like a pack of cards. Agents were happy to remove them (unless justifiably there). I was assured that their boards are expensive and they prefer to take them back rather than risk having them trashed. A polite phone call ought to work if a board is redundant.
I think a phone call has worked ... hopefully reasonably polite!
sydenhamgardener2

Post by sydenhamgardener2 »

If anyone did that with my house, I'd inform them that I am happy to accept advertising on my property for a fee of £100 per week and then send them an invoice for the first three months! That should get them to shift it quickly!
Howard Staunton

Post by Howard Staunton »

They've gone even further at my property. The downstairs flat (which Acorn manage) has had a 'To Let' sign put up on the gate post for the last few weeks. I assumed my neighbours downstairs were moving out. When I bumped into them, they told me they assumed I'd decided to let my flat! Neither is true. You can imagine the concern they now had thinking maybe they were being kicked out. I contacted the owner, who I know well from his years of living in the property, and he told me he knew nothing about the 'To Let' sign and that he would tell Acorn to remove it.

Don't think I'd be too happy if I noticed the sign and contacted Acorn to enquire about renting the property.

Howard