Local Government Boundary Commission - Lewisham final proposal for Wards

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Local Government Boundary Commission - Lewisham final proposal for Wards

Post by JGD »

Local Government Boundary Commission yesterday (30 June 2020) published its final recommendations for new electoral arrangements with revisions for Lewisham ward boundaries.

Only two wards remain unchanged and Lewisham will gain two new wards and lose one.

It is estimated that the Lewisham electorate will rise to just over 206,000 by 2025.

The review is intended to ensure every councillor represents a similar number of people across the borough.

Every ward except Forest Hill and Telegraph Hill will change.

Residents on Perry Hill for example will be reallocated to within a new Perry Vale Ward boundary from Bellingham Ward. Bellingham Ward including Bell Green will remain autonomous from Sydenham Ward. Sydenham Ward appears to extend to a revised boundary on Perry Rise.

https://consultation.lgbce.org.uk/node/17020
Last edited by JGD on 2 Jul 2020 07:00, edited 1 time in total.
mosy

Re: Local Government Boundary Commission - Lewisham final proposal for Wards

Post by mosy »

JGD wrote: 1 Jul 2020 12:47 ...
The review is intended to ensure every councillor represents a similar number of people across the borough.
I thought the intention was to equalise MP's constituents, e.g. 500 apiece, not councillors, hence rejected previously by Scotland and Northern Island as too much distance to cover in the less densely populated area, plus rejected for c.six other reasons. Has the 500 each raison d'etre changed do you know or if not what makes them think it would be accepted this time round by devolved nations?
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

Perhaps I vested too much faith in the blurb.

But then it seems to make sense as the effort to equalise councillor representation we see are made at ward level.

Could it be assumed that constituency adjustments are made in parallel perhaps?

Even be a function of the equalisation of wards ? I see flaws in that too though.
Last edited by JGD on 2 Jul 2020 07:00, edited 1 time in total.
mosy

Post by mosy »

I think I might have leapt to the wrong conclusion as on rereading it looks like it is purely for local councillor representation. If so, I probably won't lose sleep as I doubt changes will make much difference to most of us across the borough. I've only written to a councillor once and got no reply at all, probably being too busy doing Very Important Work.

I don't think they'd count as is for an MP electoral change in ward boundaries as the plan creates an extra ward, i.e.another MP seat which a council can't do unilaterally, unless it simply combines two for MP purposes.