Refurbishment of Billings in September

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Refurbishment of Billings in September

Post by JGD »

Precipitous news this morning.

BH on her regular visit to Billings to re-stock with their delightful cheeses has been informed they will have a short shut-down in the early weeks of September for refurbishment.

With some difficulties in bearing that news - they have no cheese now and will not be re-stocking until after the refurbishment.

The Hunt for Red Dorsetshire begins now!! (Did you see what I did there?)

Hearing reports that Polhill had some last week....

Do any cheese aficionados out there have any nearby sources for that delicacy?
mosy

Re: Refurbishment of Billings in September

Post by mosy »

I'm not a big cheese eater but found these people who'll deliver Dorset Red for £5.95 if under £25, which isn't bad if buying a batch with other cheeses or meats from their menu:
https://www.thedorsetmeatcompany.co.uk/ ... -red-190g/
They say it's not dissimilar to Red Leicester, which is easily found in supermarkets as is applewood smoked cheddar that you might like otherwise.

Very good to hear that Billings are finding it worthwhile to stick with us in Sydenham :)
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

Whilst I am looking forward to the refurbishment, my mother will be disappointed. I get her shopping every week since Covid and take it over to her in Streatham and she is thrilled that I have such a great Butchers... she has also become addicted to their Quiches... apparently best quiche she has ever had... and the sausages.. and the minted lamb rump... she has a list... :D
mosy

Post by mosy »

Will Billings be doing deliveries or ring and collect as I think they have other shops too don't they? They won't want their regular customers to drift away so it might be worth asking.
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

Thought I’d take the opportunity to ask as I was in this morning - there won’t be anyone there and it’s a pretty major refurb mostly of the back of the shop (new kitchen, toilets etc) so extremely doubtful any service will be available during that time. Fingers crossed the refurb goes to plan and it’s open the following week!

On a side note the website still states those who require it during the ongoing pandemic can get a delivery and anyone can order for pick-up rather than browse/shop so to speak.
Pally

Post by Pally »

I don't think Billings has any other shops