Who's standing in the Sydenham by election in May?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Labour candidate for Sydenham this May

https://www.lwaplabour.org.uk/2021/02/1 ... -sydenham/
mikej

Post by mikej »

Margot Wilson has been selected as the Lib Dem candidate to fight the by-election needed to fill the vacancy for a councillor in Sydenham ward in May 2021.

Margot, a former teacher of French and English to Speakers of Other Languages, moved to Sydenham in 2011 to be near her family. She appreciates the lively arts scene in Sydenham and is a strong supporter of local independent shops.

Our surveys of local residents showed concern at the amount of litter and fly tipping around the ward, often with no signage to discourage people from leaving waste in those spots. Margot supports pleas for a waste recycling facility nearer to this part of the borough to enable residents to dispose of unwanted items without traveling to Deptford. She says "As long as there are no prosecutions of fly tippers, they will feel they can get away with it."

Another concern is that trees which have to be felled need to be replaced in order to combat the climate emergency, and keep Sydenham's streets green and pleasant.

Margot can be contacted on:

libdemmargot@gmail.com
020 8659 2067
https://twitter.com/margotwil
stuart

Post by stuart »

And in the interests of balance:

Meet Helena Croft the Conservative candidate for Sydenham ward.

Helena lives in Lewisham with her husband and they have two grown-up daughters. She has lived in Lewisham since 2016.

Helena is the Executive Director and founder of a charity which supports vulnerable women across London and the South East, such as victims of sexual abuse and human trafficking. Prior to moving to Lewisham Helena lived in Sussex where she was a district councillor, serving as the council’s cabinet member for communications and town centre, as well as being Deputy Leader of the council.

https://www.lewishamconservatives.org.u ... lena-croft
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Is there a green candidate?
JRW

Post by JRW »

Can you please change this thread's name? Perhaps 'Election News'?
Sideofham

Post by Sideofham »

I've had a check and unfortunately The Official Monster Raving Loony Party will not be fielding a candidate this time round, unsure about Lord Bucket Head.
vbsydenham

Post by vbsydenham »

Sideofham wrote: 26 Feb 2021 07:33 I've had a check and unfortunately The Official Monster Raving Loony Party will not be fielding a candidate this time round, unsure about Lord Bucket Head.
They are - I just looked it up; his name is Jack Lavery
stuart

Post by stuart »

vbsydenham wrote: 26 Feb 2021 08:00 They are - I just looked it up; his name is Jack Lavery
Nope, the role of Lord Buckethead is much disputed. I think you will find the real one is testifying today at a place you may know well :twisted:

Do you know if the the SNP putting up a candidate to try and capture the JGD vote? Independence from Boris and EU re-entry for Sydenham might also tempt Tim & Robin! Frictionless Trade across the Ravensbourne should be no problem for Mr Frost to negotiate.

Stuart

EDIT: Sorry JGD - I just remembered you are spearheading the campaign for Bell Green to secede from Sydenham. Take back SavaCentre!
vbsydenham

Post by vbsydenham »

If you want to talk Salmond I think we'll have to retire to the pub......
stuart

Post by stuart »

vbsydenham wrote: 26 Feb 2021 10:28 If you want to talk Salmond I think we'll have to retire to the pub......
I would, except I think he is a little too wide to slip through the back door.

Stuart
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

Just an observation or two.

Secessionist tendencies? I may possess a few but as Stuart points out, only localised.

SNP policies are not mine. I like my UK truly united.

You may think, oddly, I have an admiration for Nippy Sweetie and Alex S - both stand head-and-shoulders above anyone currently installed in HMG roles in both terms of intellect and integrity. This round of reported nonsenses in Scotland are difficult to understand but we can be certain that Westminster driven "leaks" are intended to maximise political damage in and to Scotland and to the SNP that the Tory machine can inflict.

Whilst it is reported and followed in the Scottish press the really vitriolic propaganda is spewed out by the right-wing English Tory press - no real surprise there.

Johnson is acknowledged to be the most potent factor in turning the Scots populace towards considering independence once more. His is a horror story of mismanagement within his now factionalised and deeply riven inner circle and particularly of the so-called "Union" portfolio which has gone through serial phases of ceremonial beheadings and hurried exits driven by Johnson and Symonds perception that the unit "betrayed" Johnson by sending him on his last disastrously embarrassing foray into Scotland. Johnson and Symonds apparently hold Gove to be the key architect of Johnson's trip to Scotland and apparently his coat is on a "shoogly peg" and he can expect to receive the ceremonial dagger between the shoulder blades as soon as Symonds can place it in Johnson's indecisive - and very shaky - hands.

Johnson's cabinet need the Scottish drama to deflect attention from their own internally driven criminality and ineffectual so-called governance.

Rees-Mogg and Johnson betray their view of Scotland and use their Eton-learned debating skills to childishly circumvent the Speaker's ruling that they must desist from calling the SNP "Nationalist". Whilst knowing fully how the meanings of that label are considered to be vile in its historic connotation - hence the Speaker's ruling.

Whilst we may get to understand a little of what happened in Holyrood once the investigation (currently still underway) is complete, we will never know what impact HMG's role had in publicising every infraction, minor or otherwise, accurate or fabricated.

On comparison of characters; Salmond was extremely badly behaved personally and was caught out. But at least he is not a sitting PM who's witless buffoonery caused him to betray a cancer-suffering wife by conducting an affair and who is unable to 'fess up to how many children he has and by how many women.

There is no accounting for the lack of accountability.
Last edited by JGD on 26 Feb 2021 11:23, edited 2 times in total.
vbsydenham

Post by vbsydenham »

stuart wrote: 26 Feb 2021 10:46 I would, except I think he is a little too wide to slip through the back door.
A bit too blue for the Town Hall, stuart
JRW

Post by JRW »

Isn't this supposed to be about local politics?
vbsydenham

Post by vbsydenham »

Chalk up a swing and a miss for JGD :D
stuart

Post by stuart »

Sorry JGD but for all Nicola's impressive presentational skills - outclassing Boris in spades - the results, particularly Covid-19 related are alarmingly similar. And that's what counts. Except people don't.

But getting back to dear old Sydders. Two candidates have a bio. Jack Lavery doesn't. Call me old-fashioned but I do like to know who is angling for my vote. Come on SWLP - put up a page - or give us a link to one. Background, achievements and forward plans is all I ask. is that difficult?

Stuart
JRW

Post by JRW »

They are assuming that they will win, unchallenged.
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

JRW wrote: 26 Feb 2021 11:07 Isn't this supposed to be about local politics?
Where did I miss that in the title - "Local Politics"?

But then some parts of the issue would be better in The Pub - more freedom and more fun to be had there.
JGD

Post by JGD »

vbsydenham wrote: 26 Feb 2021 11:08 Chalk up a swing and a miss for JGD :D
Better to have swung than never to have swinged at all.
vbsydenham

Post by vbsydenham »

Sounds like you've been visiting the same kind of establishments as Stuart :shock:
JGD

Post by JGD »

vbsydenham wrote: 26 Feb 2021 11:30 Sounds like you've been visiting the same kind of establishments as Stuart :shock:
You are mixing up both Stuart and I with that old "Buller", Johnson.