Boundary commission - Sydenham to combine with Dulwich

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
KPR

Boundary commission - Sydenham to combine with Dulwich

Post by KPR »

New constituency boundaries for consultation - Sydenham, Bellingham, Perry Vale and Forest Hill combine with Dulwich to form new Dulwich and Sydenham constituency.

Sounds posher than Lewisham West and Penge, though I probably have more interaction with Penge than with Dulwich to be honest.

https://boundarycommissionforengland.in ... ham-BC.pdf
simon

Re: Boundary commission - Sydenham to combine with Dulwich

Post by simon »

I'm now living in Penge and it is proposed we become part of the Beckenham constituency, which I'm not keen on at all. Its bad enough having Bromley as my council (they're useless) and now it is proposed I have a Tory MP.
alywin

Post by alywin »

We always were part of the Beckenham constituency - until the last time the boundaries were changed. A dead cert Labour MP versus a dead cert Tory one - not much of a choice.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

We're only just over the hill from Dulwich. ('Dulwich borders' is what we shall tell the estate agent.) So quite happy with this. (I think it' s the same proposal that the Boundary Commission made on the last round, which was never implemented.)
stuart

Post by stuart »

alywin wrote: 9 Jun 2021 00:27A dead cert Labour MP versus a dead cert Tory one - not much of a choice.
A consequence of FPTP for most of the country. Any other vote is a wasted vote an ensures we will always be run by a government representing only 40% of the electorate or even less.. We moan about it endlessly. But then we voted to keep FPTP less than a decade ago. A democratic vote to stay less democratic?

I can see the Bellinghaites raising a petition to both rename their station as 'Lower Dulwich' and be elevated to zone 3?

Stuart
mikej

Post by mikej »

Alywin commented "We always were part of the Beckenham constituency - until the last time the boundaries were changed. A dead cert Labour MP versus a dead cert Tory one - not much of a choice."

Actually, adding three Labour wards (Crystal Palace, Clock House, Penge and Cator) and losing a couple of staunch Tory wards might well make Beckenham actually marginal in future. especially as its MP is not well regarded in the area.

I have my hopes, anyway!
simon

Post by simon »

Missed that bit MikeJ, thanks. So there is hope, but the idea of Beckenham being a marginal is something I'm struggling to get my head around :?
Syd_Stone

Post by Syd_Stone »

All this angst about boundaries, none about multi member districts. We always tend towards the issues about our democracy that the established powers are happy for us to discuss.
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

simon wrote: 10 Jun 2021 21:36 Missed that bit MikeJ, thanks. So there is hope, but the idea of Beckenham being a marginal is something I'm struggling to get my head around :?
That's why the name is so wrong. It's Beckenham and Penge. It's Penge (and Anerley and Clock House) that makes it marginal. Left to its own devices Beckenham would continue to elect an awful old buffoon sporting a blue rosette.

That said, some of Beckenham has become less blue in recent years, as younger more liberal Londoners replace older Kent conservative minded folk.
syd

Post by syd »

The estate agent rebrand will be south Dulwich
alywin

Post by alywin »

I'd totally forgotten we'd discussed this until I did a search for "constituency" today after I received Labour's latest missive and realised that we're back to being Beckenham and Penge again after all these years (shades of the Piers Merchant years!). Never did seem to make much sense to have a constituency going across borough boundaries.
rbmartin

Post by rbmartin »

Not all of SE26 will be in the new Lewisham West and East Dulwich constituency.

The Southwark side of Sydenham Hill along with Crescent Wood Road will continue to be in Dulwich & West Norwood, while those in the London Borough of Bromley will be in Beckenham & Penge.