Cricket Match STF v The Dolphin

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

i'm looking forward to this year's game...i'll bring my bugle along again, too.

no, admin, i can't blow my own bugle with my love muscle, so don't get excited.
bencooke

Re: Cricket Match STF v The Dolphin

Post by bencooke »

I'd be up for a game, after narrowly losing to the Dolphin owners in the final of the boules contest last summer I've been looking for some arena of revenge!!
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

i'd heard they had been practicing for months!
TDA

Sports News From The Dolphin

Post by TDA »

The sun is shining and inevitably thoughts turn to cricket. One minor team change this year is our rebranding as the mightily impressive 'Triple D's (the slightly dodgy 'Double D's' now thankfully a thing of the past). With two new recruits from the internationally acclaimed Duke in Deptford*, Sydenham Town's task is surely made even more difficult this year. New Sam from Sri Lanka replaces old Sam from Sri Lanka and Bryan from Dublin boasts as classical an English schoolboy's sporting background. as you can get. Otherwise the same tired old cooks and bartenders will once again turn out to inflict a different kind of suffering on their customers.

The first of two boules tournaments planned for this year will be held in the garden at The Dolphin on Sunday July 19th accompanied by our annual hog roast. Despite much pressure to withdraw from almost everyone they know last years proud winners are determined to defend their title against all comers.

The old Duke of Deptford has entered the London Marathon this year - in spirit rather than on the track. The race organisers have kindly agreed to direct the race right past the front door where we will be serving breakfast and refreshment from 9am. There will be a brass band on the balcony and tea and sandwiches on the terrace. The pub is on the 7 mile marker and most runners will pass by between 9.30 and noon. Book and arrive early for a very pleasant morning's entertainment. No bugles please!

Michael Richards

(*In fact The Duke has long standing cricketing links. Steve Grindlay informs me that in 1870 “Deptford Town Cricket Club” was formed by Mr Maslem, the original landlord and builder of The Duke.)
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

had a party across the road from the duke on saturday...didn't go in but it looks like you've done a fantastic job.
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

Had a drink in The Duke myself just a few weeks ago. Excellent pub.

As someone who is perfectly able to blow your own trumpet, I can see why you don't want bugles during the London Marathon, TDA!

Last summer's "boules swindle" was such an transparent and embarassing heist that I'm amazed you aim to repeat this farrago. Two owners of pub are so desperate to prove their sporting prowess, that they choose a game most decent British people treat with contempt, then squeeze out a narrow win against opponents who have all had too much to drink to take aim accurately. I fully expect to see a winner's rostrum in the garden of The Dolphin for this year's "event".

On the cricketing front - Isn't there supposed to be a ban on bringing in workers from overseas when there is a British person who can do the job just as well? I'd like to ask the HM Customs to organise an inspection of all Dolphin team members' passports and work documents before a ball is bowled this summer.
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

*waves his little red passport*
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

PM me if you want me to put you into contact with a few clubs in Melbourne.
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

I'm just booking the next STF game versus The Dolphin at Sydenham Cricket Club - end April/beginning May. It will be on a Tuesday, early evening after work. Are you available Dominika? Or anyone else reading this who hasn't played in previous matches?
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

I hope The Dolphin don't try and recruit my mate Ferny who lives across the road from The Crown in Greenwich.

He is quality!
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

the weather is looking good...i hit 66 not out off 51 balls on sunday...looking forward to tucking into some TDA pies!
TDA

Player Needed

Post by TDA »

Dear Lambchops et al

Before we dare to face the might of a rejuvenated Sydenham Town team the triple Ds have a 'practice' game tomorrow (23rd) at 6pm in Dulwich - opposite the Harvester. We are one player short so if anyone of the 'auld enemy' (ie Nasarocs band of brothers) fancies a knock please let me know asap. Lift from the Dolphin at 5.30pm if required.

Michael Richards (please PM me)
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

Damn it, if I didn't have a function on I'd turn out for you.

Please let me know if you have any other games where you need a player as I'll happily help you out if only to just field and shout a bit.

Will bring my bugle too.

If you want to borrow some pads and gloves then you are welcome to.
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

nasser, is there a game on this year?

ulysees says he is up for it.
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

*ahem*

I explained to lambchops I have never set foot on a cricket pitch so I doubt I'd be a good call to make up any numbers. He's being mischievous again.

As for The Duke, well done on expanding your empire with this Michael. I am proud [?] to be able to claim I drank once or twice in it about 10 years ago. It looks like - judging by your pictures - that they had actually done it up since then. Before you got your hands on it...believe it or not!

It truly was a dive. Drank in it recently and can echo the plaudits given now you've added it to The Dolphin and The Dartmouth Arms.

As for the boast of 'middle of West Greenwich' on the website; come now. There's marketing speak and then there's marketing speak! It's past Deptford Creek, so, Deptford all the way?