Cricket Match STF v The Dolphin

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
nasaroc

Cricket Match STF v The Dolphin

Post by nasaroc »

The first cricket match of the season versus the combined forces of The Dolphin and Dartmouth Arms is on Monday 2nd June at Sydenham Sports Club, Cricket lane, off Kangley Bridge Road starting at 6pm.

Further planned matches are against Lewisham Council and Blackheath Women's team.

Dolphin owner Michael has been busy recruiting a number of Sri Lankans to strengthen the Dolphin team. Hiring staff on the basis of whether they can play cricket or not has got to be a breach of employment law, surely? I fully expect the food to deteriorate sharply in both establishments over the coming weeks. After all, would you hire Shane Warne to cook risotto? This just shows how desperate they are to repeat the streaky win of last year over STF.

So let's hear it from all you cricket players. We've proved that SE26 are more intelligent than SE23 in the quiz. Polishing off The Dolphin/DA at cricket should be easy.

PM me now if you are available.
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

I've had six confirmations already.

Juwlz, AliB, Steve, SimonO - are you available?

Admin - can you score?
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Nasaroc, I am surprised you are after my services after last year. I am very much built like Shane Warne, but unfortunately without the cricketing ability. In fact I am more like 'Big Daddy' at the moment.

I can, however, down two pints of Stella in under a minute.

I am available , am I in?

alib
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

nasaroc wrote:Admin - can you score?
With Pat again? Delighted ;-)

Admin
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

I'd be up for taking some photos of the event if you'd like them? I've been wanting to take try taking some of a sports event for a while.

Cricket wiise I havent played cricket since I was 12 so I seriously doubt I'd be any use on the field.
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

ALIB wrote: I am very much built like Shane Warne, but unfortunately without the cricketing ability. In fact I am more like 'Big Daddy' at the moment.
Can you text like Warnie?

That WOULD make you The Daddy!!
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

"A text message sent to the wrong woman has put paid to a reconciliation between Shane Warne and his former wife.
The Australian cricketing legend is said to have composed a message telling a lover that "the back door is open" - then accidentally sent it to Simone Warne." (BBC, Sept 2007)

Lambchops, you mean like the events above? I think even after 10 pints of Stella I would have more sense than that.

Alib
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

it's his version of the doosra!
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

Ronski,

That would be excellent! I'm planning to write match reports and then submit them to the lady from that magazine (SE26?? sorry can't remember), so some piccies would be ace.

Also, if your camera can do it, some video of the game would be good to stick up on SydTV. I'll be taking my camera for post match reports from the skippers and (Wo)Man of the match to put up there, so some actual game play would be good.

See you down there.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

i am getting myself a box after last time.

cost is of no consequence

And seeing what happened yesterday, will batspersons be needing helmets with face masks? I do not wish any visits from the tooth fairy

Alib
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

Hahahh yeah that was pretty shocking.

Anyone is welcome to borrow my helmet. It's got a grill, and is a rather fetching shade of green.

what happened last time? hit in the knackers? i'll have a look around the club on sunday and see if there are any boxes i can grab for us. some hot water and soap should get rid of any public lice.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

OK then nasaroc,

It seems I can't refuse the opportunity to humiliate myself in public.

But of course, if you want to replace me with someone who can actually play cricket I won't be offended!
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

Juwlz, stop being so modest.

10 people have now confirmed they can play.

Steve are you available again?

SimonO - what about you? In a game of cricket even you would accept that we can let one or two in "through the gate", surely? And you're the only one with wicketkeeper gloves?
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Are we planning any brief training sessions, or do we just rely on our dormant/extinct talent and physical prowess surfacing at just the right moment (next week)?

If we are 'just turning up' , i am hoping Nasaroc will be informing us of the selected players and acceptable dress. Looking at last years photos, it would seem trainers and casual/sports clothing of any colour will suffice.

Looking out the window it would seem that swimming trunks and armbands may be the order of the day.... :cry:
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

Nasser, I've got some keeper's gloves. Or, I could provide us with my team's keeper if you want.

Juwlz and Alib, if you want to hit the nets, then I can on thursday after work, say 7pm, or any time on Wednesday (tommorrow)? Anyone else want to come down...though I'm not sure where we go?

I've got a load of kit so don't worry about pads and bats and stuff. No spare boxes, though!

I would say that everyone should at least wear a white shirt for playing in. I'm playing in shorts if it's hot!
sophie

Post by sophie »

Out of curiosity, how come a cricket match is so important that it's in the esteemed "Town Hall" forum and not in the cafe?!!!! :lol:
sophie

Post by sophie »

... or even the Pub!!! 8)
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

we are playing for Sydenham Town Forum.

it's VERY important!

also, i think it's important that all poms experience some cricket...you never know you might be selected for next year's ashes.

HAHAHAHAH.

you going to come down to support us, sophie?
simono

Post by simono »

Happy to give it a go.
sophie

Post by sophie »

Haven't we just won a cricket match or something?!!!

:wink: