Sydenham Town Center - What do you think?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Tim Lund

Not to be forgotten

Post by Tim Lund »

Nasaroc

Scott is away for a few days, but I know he has produced his own list of bullet points from the 'Business and Enterprise' table at the Assembly, and will be checking them with others who were on the table, including our town centre manager. So they will not be forgotten. In fact, I would hazard a guess that this table will develop a life and agenda of its own, and not limit itself to attending an Assembly meeting every six weeks or so.

But yes, there is a very obvious danger that this develops into 'yet another talking shop'. Being on the co-ordinating group of the Assembly, I had the opportunity (and took it) of asking Chris when we met between meetings your very question - what is the point of it? Much as I respect her, I don't think then she had a very good answer then. I think a large part of the problem is that, having presumably originally been a policy initiative of Members, it is now managed day to day by officers who expect to use the same formula in every ward. I also went to the Perry Vale Assembly which was very obviously cut from the same mould, even as a significant theme coming out of it was how Perry Vale had a different (and less well defined) character from other wards in the area.

The fact that tables on Thursday were organised by themes was I think an initiative of Chris's, and I'd like to think a response to questioning what the point of the Assembly was. As such I think this arrangement was a tacit invitation to local citizens concerned with particular areas to work together and take control of the agenda from officers who (in Poppy's words) are 'unenthusiatic, uncharasmatic and non-visionary'. Or so they might seem - in fact there are plenty of good council officers around, who are probably just as frustrated as you are. However, if different areas of interest were also, like different wards, to develop their own agendas, the 'one-size-fits-all' approach is even less likely to work.

I also think the focus on how we decide to spend a £10,000 localities fund is unfortunate. This is probably unfair, but at current rates I believe that amounts to four planters on Sydenham Road. Peanuts by comparison with the £2m or whatever is to be spent on Sydenham Road Renewal. Also peanuts compared to the amounts controlled by Community Councils the other side of the hill in Dulwich. Whatever the sums of money involved, competition of particular pet schemes for use with money to be spent each year between different interest groups - 'youth', 'business', 'environment', 'sport and leisure' (were they represented?) - is likely to lead to a less cohesive overall community.

I don't claim to know how the Assembly could work better, although I am thinking about it, and will certainly raise the matter at the next co-ordinators group. Naturally if anyone else on this post has their suggestions, I will be reading them with interest.
jackie

Post by jackie »

Like Poppy I feel quite disillusioned with Lewisham and the token attempts at democracy. I too couldn't make the meeting and I suspect a lot of keen people who are willing to be involved will give up because they already lead busy lives and will not continue to waste time discussing 'issues' and making sensible suggestions which are not taken up. I have just come back from West London right across the South Circular and I was ashamed to drive down the hill into Sydenham to be faced by the state of certain shops. We cannot attract new businesses if Lewisham doesn't take the initiative however much we residents talk. I also agree with Poppy about the 'clean-up' session - a complete waste of time unless shops are provided with enough bins and plants and shrubs are grown. I for one am completely fed up with emailing Julie Sutch requesting this
Ang139

Sydenham Town Center

Post by Ang139 »

AT LONG LAST......Lived in Sydenham for 8 years and its about time that money has been granted to us for improving our tired high street.

So much potential, but only a few shops will make you want to stay in Sydenham for more than an hour. Its a big shame...

If I want to stay local, but have the need to shop, I tend to go Penge, where at least there is a Peacocks, Shoe Shops and Woolworths to browse around, and more that one Food Supermarket i.e. Sainsburys and Iceland with no travelling involved.

Sorry Scott but to get Sydenham up the ladder, you may need to take a few tips from Penge... :idea:

Myself and girls love living in Sydenham and an improved high street will make all the difference, and to any buyers who decide to live here.
sydeman

Post by sydeman »

I definetly like the idea of a mixed high street, some decent shops, like a butchers, green grocers, a kitchen shop etc, ones which i would venture down from upper sydenham for. At the moment, the street full of pound shops, and its just not worth it. A couple of nice restaurants/bars would be good as well; yep CP has loads, and its only a short walk/bus ride away, but we do need some ourselves. The only decent restaurant in the area is Thats Amore on Kirkdale, which is not bad. Some trees as well would soften the street, and take away the impact the volume of traffic has. Not sure about Peacocks, etal...no point in emulating Penge too much
poppy

high street

Post by poppy »

I agree with the Peacocks comment Sydeman.
poppy

high street

Post by poppy »

yours, that is.
sydeman

Post by sydeman »

Thanks Poppy. I think the best way to attact better independent and a good mix of shops is first make the environment better...trees, better management of the road (and sometimes this does'nt mean just making pavements wider so the traffic is squeezed ever more, hence slowing it down). Its working with the great cafes we now have. Market forces prevail in these sorts of things.
poppy

high street

Post by poppy »

It sounds like the greening of the roundabout is being opposed by the council on safety grounds, although no one has said exactly what their fears are. But I was thinking today, couldn't they make the roundabout (the concrete bit) when they redoo it much shorter so at least grass and small bushes, which don't grow above a certain height could be planted?
Ang139

Post by Ang139 »

:) Hi Sydeman and Poppy, I totally agree with you both and more bistros/restaurants would be a brill idea. The problem is that when you begin your journey at the top of sydenham and walk down its like de-ja-vu and the repetitiveness of the same shops gets very boring. Less seedy pubs on every corner would not go amiss either.

More green has to be a must, and would give the whole high street a big lift. A mini market once a month, similar to Beckenham would be a nice touch too.

Sorry Sydeman, but my Peacocks, Shoe Shop, and Woolies idea still stands.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I agree Ang, although I'm no fan of Peacocks due to their unethical sweat shots/child labour.

We need more variety in retail and catering. Not everyone shops in every store or eats in every restaurant. As often proved in these forums, you can't please everyone all the time! THere are too many things missing from the high street at the moment which we desperately need to address.

With a better spread of shops, better street environment, better shop fronts and signage hopefully one day people will be getting on the bus to come here to spend their money.

Keep it local.
Annie

Post by Annie »

:D
Hiya Poppy, did you live round here when the roundabout was really pretty all year round changing with each season covered in flowers etc?
then some idiot decided to change it all! I don't remember being consulted on having a wobbly mess put in its place---Those were the days i was proud of living in Sydenham. :cry:
Rodeoclown

Re: Sydenham Town Center

Post by Rodeoclown »

Ang139 wrote:Peacocks...and Woolworths....

Sorry Scott but to get Sydenham up the ladder, you may need to take a few tips from Penge...
Sorry Ange, but if you think that by having a Peacocks and a Woolworths Sydenham could be construed as moving up the ladder then you must be insane!
Gaz

Re: high street

Post by Gaz »

poppy wrote:It sounds like the greening of the roundabout is being opposed by the council on safety grounds, although no one has said exactly what their fears are. But I was thinking today, couldn't they make the roundabout (the concrete bit) when they redoo it much shorter so at least grass and small bushes, which don't grow above a certain height could be planted?
I don't understand why there couldn't be a rockery type planting on there at least. It seems from the Council's proposals that there is very little 'greening' being done in the Sydenham High Street regeneration; just lots of bland, grey concrete being laid. :cry:
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

Do you know what the problem is?

Someone has to cut the grass/trim the bushes/weed the flower beds. That's the reason. Complete bullshit quoting "safety reasons".

I don't use the high street in Sydenham a great deal because it's shit. Plain and simple. I can not think of one store I would want to go into there. I will try out Ghurkas, but other than that the only reason I go there is for the post office.

I use the bookshop, Blue Mountain and Sugar Hill at Cobbs corner and that's as far as I go because the high street is dirty and has high volume traffic with quite a narrow footpath - walking along the high street is an unpleasant experience. Probably not much can be done about these, unfortunately.

I can't think how throwing a load of money at the high street will solve what i think are the two biggest problems. It's an important road because between Sydenham and Forest Hill it's one of two places to cross the train line, so restricting the traffic is a silly idea. Widening the footpath to allow some decent trees/plants will mean moving out into the road...restricting traffic.

I might take a wander down there tonight just to have a look after posting this.
castiron73

Post by castiron73 »

To encourage better shops and shoppers to the high street I think something like this is needed - Steve Grindlay has this photo on his Flickr site.

Remove all the horrible signs and put awnings up (and those fantastic lanterns if possible). It all looks smarter instantly, even if there's a pound shop underneath.

The eye is drawn up to the lovely architecture too, which is still there apart from the Superdrug bit
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

This is the thing - there's some fabulous architecture in Sydenham and it's hidden by the awful shopfronts. Surely there are some relatively inexpensive ways to spruce up the shopfronts, make the most of the buildings and so transform the whole area....
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

.... and it's not just the ground floors of these buildings that need sprucing up. We need to ensure that the Landlords of the whole building look after the upper floors, especially as they are now part of a conservation area.

I'm talking about the appalling mess above the shops between Sema's and the station - some of the windows are missing and boarded up!
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

does anyone else think that getting rid of the zebra crossings and replacing them with lights is a bad idea?
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

Yes! IMHO there's too many traffic lights in this country in general and I think zebra crossings generally work better at allowing people to cross while also letting traffic flow...
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I agree with the awnings, the high street looked better hears ago because the shop fronts were in sympathy with the building above. Due to the ill conceived plan by past town centre managers, grants paved the way for people to destroy the original shop fronts to replace them with what we have now.

Shame.

If you go to Brick Lane market, one street there has matching shop fronts all in wood. There are restriction on the signage you can use and they look brilliant.

Signage isn't that expensive. Raised lettering can be fitted for a few hundred pounds. Those large illuminated light boxes can cost thousands. Most shops in the high street make the classic mistake of cramming as much information as possible on the signs.

I also agree that more traffic lights are not a good idea. Give me a zebra crossing any day.