Free personal care for the elderly

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
annabel mclaren

Free personal care for the elderly

Post by annabel mclaren »

I would like to know where the candidates stand on the issue of free personal care for the elderly and those with conditions such as early onset dementia. This has already been implemented in Scotland and was recommended by the Sutherland Commission in 1999.
Lewkip

UKIP on the elderly

Post by Lewkip »

We endorse any effort to relieve the burden of aging. The elderly community is at the forefront of our national manifesto to quit the European Union: We aim to convert the current £30 million per day that British taxpayers give to the EU by immediately increasing state pensions by £25 per week. We also seek to reinstate tax credits on dividends paid to pension funds, adding £5 billion a year to their value. As a further measure to correct an injustice: we would restore full pension rights to expatriate pensioners whose pensions were frozen when they left the UK.

There are a number of unfortunate side effects arising from devolution that enables this country to have two different standards of care including the elderly. If elected, I would support any initiative to ensure one minimum level of care across the entire British isles.

Turning to local matters I am saddened to learn of the challenges facing Age Concern's operations in Lewisham. It is a charity that has provided crucial support for the elderly in the borough and is facing a funding crisis at this time as it has had to close its information and advice drop-in service. Unlike a Government department, it has no direct call on the council tax paid by residents of Lewisham.

I call on Lewisham Council's Community Sector Unit (CSU) to review the way support is offered to the elderly across the borough with a view towards identifying and streamlining the needs, experience, expertise and geography of access to help. According to the CSU's recent annual report, we note that just over £1 million has been made available or pledged to nearly twenty organisations across the borough in the care of our elderly between 2002 to 2004.

UKIP would like to see a transparent commissioning procedure that would seek maximum benefits from the usage of such funds, which could help start the rationalisation, and consolidation of the support our elderly citizens receive and deserve. Such a review may pave the way for Age Concern Lewisham to resume its drop-in service.