Out of control kids in Fairlawn Park

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Jessie

Out of control kids in Fairlawn Park

Post by Jessie »

I am fed up with the out of control kids in Fairlwan park as many residents are.

Tonight i was walking back from work and into the road were 3 boys were playing football two cars come round and slowed up for them to stop playing so they could go through, instead of stopping and moving out the way the carried on playing so the car could not pass. So when the the car drove over there ball the kids shouted abuse and started swearing at the the man in the car as if he was in the wrong.

What is wrong with these kids do they not have any manners or no road safety they do not realise by doing this they could have caused a accident.

I no kids will be kids as we was all one BUT we had respect for people and there property and WOULD never give them lip it would be more then our life's worth.

Tell me what can be done as no one seems to stand up to them, i am just fed up with it as i imagine many Fairlawn Park residents are. :evil:
Jessie

Post by Jessie »

Also i forgot to add that the police have told us to take pictures of the youth or ASBO kids as i think they are better known. But tell me Why would you do this as then it would give them more ammunition and make the situation worse.

I no i am just fed up with it how bad is it they you are living on your won you come home from work and bolt the doors up and shut the windows and curtains so they can't get to you.

Also it says something that you pray for it to rain so they can't play out and sit on your wall and damage your property.

I am really not looking forward to the Summer Holidays in Fairlawn Park.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

I take it you have reported it to your SNT?
Jessie

Post by Jessie »

Many events have been reported to the police local council and Hyde housing as many of the trouble makers are from these propertys (not all of them who live there are bad).

Hyde have informed us that thy are known to them as problem families and have had lots of complaints about it.

Nebiourhood watch have also been noted about the events as well.

It just comes to something when you care scared to take foot out side your door or can't get out your gate because there bikes are blocking it and the wont move it.

Half the kids are not residents of Fairlawn park and come to see there friends and they are the worse we had one off them pee up next doors wall while they were sitting watching the TV with there kids.

They think they own the street they sure do rule it at the moment. grrrrrr
floom

Post by floom »

Jessie says--They think they own the street they sure do rule it at the moment. grrrrrr
But they do own the streets now.

Soljahs, innit....
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

keep a diary of what happens when - include as much detail as possible. Descriptions, names, times, exactly what is said and so on....

try and photograph them - do this surrepticiously.

Encourage all your neigbours to do the same.

after, say, a month go and present all of this to the police and the housing association. Keep hassling them until action is taken (whilst taking more evidence)

I would also challenge their behaviour if they swear/vandalise &c. but that all depends on whether you feel confident enough to do anything. Also it depends if they know where you live (you don't want a brick through the window)

Of course, kids playing in the street is not a problem in itself, but what you describe seems to be completely unacceptable.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

floom wrote:
Jessie says--They think they own the street they sure do rule it at the moment. grrrrrr
no they don't its our duty as law-abiding citizens to challenge illegal and anti-social behaviour. We can't just leave it up to the police - do you know how thin the thin blue line actually it?

Just stay safe (and within the law) when going about it.
Jessie

Post by Jessie »

I agree playing in the street is fine but when the intimdate you that not good.

It keeps being brought up at NHW meetings so hopefully something will soon be done about it.
Jessie

Post by Jessie »

bensonby wrote:
floom wrote:
no they don't its our duty as law-abiding citizens to challenge illegal and anti-social behaviour. We can't just leave it up to the police - do you know how thin the thin blue line actually it?

Just stay safe (and within the law) when going about it.
Many a time things have been said but they do nothing they just laugh in your face and make it worse for you.

I no i am just haveing a moan as i no we were all kids once but we played out on bikes played football, cricket etc but we would never wack the balls at windows and cars and and chuck our bike on to peoples cars and scratch them, they just seem to have no respect and as i sadi if you do say somthing they laugh at you.
Howard Staunton

Post by Howard Staunton »

Jessie, I can only sympathise with your situation. The sad fact is there's little or nothing that can or will be done about this anti-social behaviour, or at least nothing that will have any effect on the youths involved.

As a fellow resident of Fairlawn Park I am familiar with the individuals you speak of - fortunately for me I live at the top of the street which is somewhat quieter. A neighbour of mine had a problem some time ago when trying to drive his car past several kids who refused to move their bikes to allow him to pass. He eventually got by them, parked his car, only to find half an hour later that his car had been vandalised. Several months later he had a football kicked in his face hitting his glasses and cutting his face. He has since sold-up and moved out of London claiming the behaviour of the local youth as a contributory factor in his decision to leave.

Sorry not to offer something positive to this thread.
Last edited by Howard Staunton on 27 Jun 2008 10:24, edited 1 time in total.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

There are things that can be done - it just takes tenacity, patience and resilience. The only people that have real power in this situation is the local people - but only if they stand together.
Howard Staunton

Pass me a baseball bat bensonby, I'm right behind you.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

woo! vigilantism!

You, of course, have power in law to use (reasonable) force as necessary...I wouldn't recommend it though most of the time.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

of course, I'm not advocating vigilanteism :roll:
Howard Staunton

... no, but we can daydream.
Paddy Pantsdown

Post by Paddy Pantsdown »

My generation did own the streets. Nobody dare park a car on our footie pitch. Its where we lived, its where we played. Its where we exhausted ourselves for the price of a few bent flower borders.

Now - as you eloquently describe - they have no right to the street. Its there to provide free parking for grown-up's gas-guzzling motors. Much more important.

I'm not defending those kids. But I would be pretty pi**ed off if I was a young lad with the way I'm treated by us lot. Its hardly surprising when in return they show us no favours. The first Sydenham Assembly noted the lack and removal of youth activities in our Town. We need to do something about it. There were a lot of teenages there who wanted to help. Can we look on this problem more positively than as pure crime & punishment issue.

Kids playing footie should be a good thing. Needs encouraging. I suppose clearing the street and having a tournament followed by a street party might be too ambitious?

PP
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

but there is a difference between just having a game and being abusive and committing acts of vandalism....
Jessie

Post by Jessie »

Paddy Pantsdown wrote:My generation did own the streets. Nobody dare park a car on our footie pitch. Its where we lived, its where we played. Its where we exhausted ourselves for the price of a few bent flower borders.

Now - as you eloquently describe - they have no right to the street. Its there to provide free parking for grown-up's gas-guzzling motors. Much more important.

I'm not defending those kids. But I would be pretty pi**ed off if I was a young lad with the way I'm treated by us lot. Its hardly surprising when in return they show us no favours. The first Sydenham Assembly noted the lack and removal of youth activities in our Town. We need to do something about it. There were a lot of teenages there who wanted to help. Can we look on this problem more positively than as pure crime & punishment issue.

Kids playing footie should be a good thing. Needs encouraging. I suppose clearing the street and having a tournament followed by a street party might be too ambitious?

PP
I agree kids should be aloud to play out i think there is nothing better then seeing kids play out and the sound of there laughter, and i think that would be a fab idea But seriously Paddy you come and stay in Fairlawn park on a bad night and see what we have to put up with and then you will be just as upset as us residents.

I agree that there should be more youth centers for the kids

But when they damage your property don't move out of a main bit of road for a car to pass who have the right of way block your front door with there bike then they are in the wrong.

Don't get me wrong not all the kids are out of order my 70% of them are. We have had window smashed by a water bomb that had stones in them, who going to pay for that not them? that will be us!
My parents dar is so scratched because of the bikes they chuck up against them, a few doors down had a hose pipe put through there letter box and turned on, again who is going to pay for the damage we are.

I am just so fed up off it, I spend half my time here and half my time in West London and it has got to the point i dread coming back to Fairlawn Park after living here 26 years this is not good news.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

[quote="Jessie]kids should be aloud to play out[/quote]

Is that a deliberate typo? - considernig the noise... :P
Howard Staunton

Actually Paddy, you are defending them. Nothing too wrong in that. We'll send them around to Venner Road. Which end of the road are you at? Wouldn't want you to miss out!