Greyhound...

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Paxton

Greyhound...

Post by Paxton »

I live in a flat overlooking the Greyhound. I'd like to ask if anyone has any up to date information on the building's future.

I often work from home and am able to see the whole site from my office window. Obviously, I can see over the hideous, grey hording. A few weeks ago somebody was clearly surveying the site, and paying special attention to the car park area. However, nothing seems really to have changed since August last year (apart from the fire).

Any information gratefully received!
nork1
Location: Banned myself - can't be bothered with the Greg/Ulysses show anymore

Post by nork1 »

Well almost a year on and it's still a bloody eyesore... don't hold your breath, I reckon the 'developers' are waiting for it to fall down from neglect. Greedy selfish b*****ds.
T Boy

Post by T Boy »

As I understand, it was a failing pub so the owners sold it to a developer. Local groups including the Syd Soc objected to its redevelopment due to it being an example of British architecture/ heritage!!!!!! Anyway, now there are restrictions on its redevelopment and locals will have to put up with the hoardings. In light of current market conditions the views we have to put up with look likely to be there for a long time so we can thank the objectors for their opinions.
simon

Post by simon »

Oi Tory boy! So why do you want the greyhound knocked down and turned into flats? It wasn't a failing pub, the leasholders were happy to carry on with it but had their lease terminated by the owners.
There haven't been any new plans submitted and given the state of the housing right now I think it unlikely they will press on with any development. So we will have an empty boarded up pub for a while. Instead of an empty pile of rubble, which persumably is your prefered option.
Welcome to the board by the way.