police

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Annie

police

Post by Annie »

I'm surprised that there has been no mention of the large police presence in Lawrie park gardens last night?

there was a search of gardens and backs of the houses there was even a helicopter search.
They were looking for 2 "Hoodies" who had been seen attempting to break into cars in the street.(thats what i was told by the officers) they took one man away in the police van.
So keep your eyes peeled.
Oddly this morning i saw 2 "Hoodies" in full winter wear, (hood up gloves on) and it was a lovely sunny morning about 9.20am
they were looking into the cars as they passed by then one returned to pick up a large stone, but was disturbed by passer by.
before anyone says they could have been gardening or doing us all a favour in some way, I was there! :roll:
stuart

Post by stuart »

I was there but it seemed a very minor incident to me which is why I didn't bother to post about it. Maybe I was mistaken but this is how I saw it.

I passed by a moped on its side (crashed?) In Lawrie Park Road. A police car was in attendence. Two more arrived and then all shot up LPG to Redgates where they were joined by one or two more. The police did a quick sweep looking for two or three lads. They did go behind Redgates - but not the houses further down the road.

Within a couple of minutes a couple of police marched a couple of very sheepish lads up from LPR. I think they were taken away. The police told me it was about stolen mopeds. A helicopter did turn up hovered for a couple of minutes and then went away. The speed at which it arrived suggested it may have been en route to/from somewhere else.

Annie saw it one way. I saw it another. I just thought I ought to add a bit of balance as number of police & cars appears to have no reflection on the severity of crime as I recently experienced:

A week ago (in another part of London) I saw a guy messing with a frontdoor lock, give up, found an open window and climbed through it. As a neighbour said he did not known I called 999 assuming it was a break in. 5 Met cars & vans impressively converged within 2 minutes from all directions. We were all embarrassed to discover the culprit was a locksmith called because the occupants were locked in!

How might that have been reported on a Forum?

Stuart
Last edited by stuart on 13 Jul 2008 13:59, edited 1 time in total.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

A "suspects on" potential burlgary will always attract large number of police.... its good that it was reported - even if it was a mistake.
marymck

Post by marymck »

The local police race track (aka Kirkdale) was even busier than usual last night. Anyone know what this was about?
Annie

Post by Annie »

stuart wrote:I was there but it seemed a very minor incident to me which is why I didn't bother to post about it.
Stuart
Stuart with respect, they used police dogs to search behind mine and neighbouring houses.
they used police on pushbikes,in cars,in vans and a helicopter, they were in neighbours back gardens with torches, the whole thing lasted 45 minutes.
now you may call all that all minor but i don't.
also it may have been a different "incident" than the one outside my house?
I was told by the police that it was about cars being broken into.
I am not one to embellish a situation i just told it as it was.
stuart

Post by stuart »

I live four houses from the incident, My backgarden was *not* searched nor my two closer neighbours. There was a lot of activity by the garages behind Redgates including dogs. The incident did involve a moped. I saw it and it was mentioned to me independently. The helicopter arrived quickly and soon departed. We didn't see the usual circling/lights you usually see in other incidents.

I didn't time the incident since it seemed to be over very quickly. I couldn't see anything remarkable about it apart from some kids apparently getting nicked. Otherwise I would have got my camera out and you could have seen it all here. Maybe from the other side it looked different but I can only report what I saw and heard.

Stuart
Annie

Post by Annie »

The "incident" lasted 45 minutes - i did time it.
even my neighbours in Lawrie park avenue had their garden searched i watched it all take place.
I don't recall saying the incident you mentioned didn't take place Stuart, just that it may have been a different one.
If it wasn't a different one then fine, but the one i watched from the minute the police turened up till the time they left they were searching behind my house which has garages behind it and various neighbouring gardens even letting the dogs of the lead.
perhaps they didnt bother to search your garden because someone saw them run through Redgates to behind my house.
I'm not to keen on the way you are trying to suggest that i am exaggerating on what i saw?
Oh and by the way i live closer to it than you. :roll:
Annie

Post by Annie »

Also Stuart do they use lights all the time or infa-red in helicopters?
:wink:
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Annie wrote:Also Stuart do they use lights all the time or infa-red in helicopters?
:wink:
they use both. There are all sorts of wonderful gismos in those machines.

Also, I'd be interested to hear what people think is a "major incident" and what a helicopter and dogs &c. mean to you... (i.e. what impression do you have if the helicopter is out and about)

Believe it or not - we do not live in an area of rampant crime. Despite the fact that the daily mail thinks society is falling apart...
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

stuart wrote:I live four houses from the incident, My backgarden was *not* searched nor my two closer neighbours.
are you absolutely sure? They may have ran through...the police don't have to ask permission to go into your garden - nor do they need to tell you......that is if they are chasing a suspect.
Annie

Post by Annie »

Hiya Bensonby,
I didn't say it was a Major incident so lets get that straight, what i said was ----They were looking for 2 "Hoodies" who had been seen attempting to break into cars in the street.(thats what i was told by the officers) they took one man away in the police van.
I was not trying to make the area look bad after all i have lived here for over 30 yrs and i own a house so i'm the last one to want the area portrayed as "Bad", i would however say that when a helicopter is involved normally i would assume it was because someone was "missing "ie- a child or there were some sort of danger to the public, ie-a joy rider.
all i was trying to do was to alert people to the fact that there are a couple of youths in the area who like other peoples hard earned property.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

fair enough - its just when the helicopter comes out often people seem to think that something horrible and disasterous has happened.

It was probably that there was a suspect known to be in the area and the helicopter was looking for / following them.

The "hoodies" may or may not have been invovled. Indeed, its perfectly plausable that they had stolen the moped, had dismounted near you and were being chased by the police. Indeed, that's what I guess happened going on the info in this thread.
Annie

Post by Annie »

:D
Yes Bensonby thats probably what happened, only i hadn't heard about the moped till Stuart mentioned it,
my objection wasn't the alternative story but the way it was inferred i was making more of the incident than i should have, when i was telling it as it was.
Annie

Post by Annie »

oh and just for the record, i have posted on here before about actually seeing 2 "Hoodies" trying to prise open a neighbours car door with a crow bar,The Police were called but were too late, unfortunately we had our window broken for the effort.
stuart

Post by stuart »

It was about 11:45pm last night. The exact sequence I experienced was as I drove up Sydenham Road a police car blue flashing overtook me, another came from another direction. I followed them into LPR where they stopped at the scene of a moped crash (it was on its side). As I passed they relighted - zoomed passed me and with another white van coming from the Bromley end of LPR turned up LPG. They stopped in front of Redgates. I turned into my drive (on the same side as Redgates) and walked up.

Police from the vehicles walked down LPG looking into (but not entering) front gardens. I spoke to one officer. The situation seemed quite relaxed. He asked if I had seen a couple of lads running down the road (I hadn't). It was I who suggested they might want to check out a well known route into our back gardens. He didn't follow that up and I went and checked it myself. No one there. No one had been there (you can't get thru without leaving a mark). A helicopter arrived and went. Then some policemen frogmarched two lads up LPG from LPR and questioned them for a little time on the other side of the road.

That was it from my viewpoint. I have not made any suggestion you didn't see what you saw. Only that it was not major incident from my view. If it had, as I said, I would have recorded it. I hope you can accept that as an honest report too.

I guess the real truth may be as neither of us saw it.

Stuart
maximax

Post by maximax »

I live off Lawrie Park Road and have the impression that this street/area has seen a bit of an influx of lowlifes recently. Was approached a couple of times, asking for change/my mobile/telling me something I couldn't understand due to slang of the African communities being used and possibly also due to English not being my first language. They were all male, in their 20s/early 30s, not hooded, prob not from this area. I have also seen a few hoodies, some of them kicking wooden fences in Bays Close which itself has been the location of several noise disturbances recently, and seeing a good a amount of police presence there about 10 days ago in the evening, when I saw two police vans and a patrol car there (maybe more, didn't check properly). Hope all this policing and neighbourhood awareness can make the Lawrie Park area unsafe for criminals once again.
sean

Post by sean »

DING DING!! Back into your corners please!

Next time Annie get your gun!
Annie

Post by Annie »

:D
i'm more like a rottweiler than a gun slinger.

Stuart, thats probably the difference between what we saw then because all this kicked off approx 10.45 and must have been ending when you arrived home.
sean

Post by sean »

Just remember folks, don't have nightmares.
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

And if you do hear or see anything suspicous please don't hesitate to pick up the phone and get in touch with one of our advisors, all calls are free up until midnight.