Coop buys Somerfield!

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Big Ben

Coop buys Somerfield!

Post by Big Ben »

The news of the Coop's purchase of the Somerfield group has just appeared on the BBC website - link here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7508982.stm
poppy

Somerfield

Post by poppy »

Been said before, but I really hope they do not sell our branch to Iceland! We need to keep a general local supermarket, don't want to be left with only masses of frozen party food (I use the word loosley).

I am no Kerry Katona! :lol:
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

Well in the article it says
"The Co-op may now look to sell some of the stores it has purchased, with Morrisons, Waitrose and Iceland touted as potentially interested parties."

So there's some hope, we certainly dont need an Iceland, I seem to remember some enthusiasm for a Waitrose a while back?
poppy

Somerfield

Post by poppy »

I read the whole article Ron, hence my post!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

My moneys on it being a CO-OP. If not then Waitrose.

I can't see it being anything else.

I'd prefer a Waitroes to give us more choice. We have Sainsbury's, a discounter (Lidl), some local fruit and veg places but nothing more aspirational.

How about a high street for everyone?
lizzie

Post by lizzie »

Please god, not an Iceland! Being realistic, I think the chances of Waitrose wanting the Sydenham branch are slim. I'd be happy with a Co-op - they are "the UK's most eco-friendly retailer", after all (http://www.co-operative.coop/food/Shop-Green/). Maybe if enough people email the Co-op and ask them to hang on to it then they won't sell it to Iceland?

Liz
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Email the Co-operative here:

customer.relations@co-op.co.uk
marymck

Post by marymck »

A Co-op would be wonderful. I am a Co-op member and really wish we had a decent one in this area. Thanks for the link Lee, I will send an e-mail.
SMOKEIT

Post by SMOKEIT »

i am with you lee. i would really like a waitose to open. it would allow for greater choice and uplift the area. we may get people coming from surrounding areas to shop in our high street instead of the other way around.

if its a co-op i would probably continue my shopping at the sainsbury in penge CP or bellgreen. same old same old!!

i have sent a email to waitrose customer services. hopefully..........
mosy

Post by mosy »

Surely for the Co-op, it's a numbers game at top level - like "Get rid of 50% of the portfolio" (or whatever percentage they consider in total probably represents a typical overlap with their existing stores) in a knife through butter way.

If Waitrose were to buy it, I'm sure it'd be for a peppercorn as they'd want to pull it down and rebuild it. Ditto Iceland for that matter. (Cue pretty hefty investment and return calculations.)

I suspect some in the Co-op will remember when there was one in Sydenham Road, and a butchers next door, and will wonder if they've bought a white elephant with this particular shop and will hope to sell the land on a change of use ticket.

I'd be happy for it to stay as a supermarket.
Frangipan

Post by Frangipan »

Co-op has totally reinvened itself since the stamp-giving days. It has been a pioneer in fair trade and organic produce. As someone who banks with Co-op and its subsidiaries I would more than welcome a change to one of their stores.

Waitrose would be lovely but out of my price range for a top-up fresh food shop that I currently use Safeway for. I'd have to go there for luxuries only. I would probably still use Sainsbury's for the main monthly shop simply for its range and choice.

Alas, due to my address and work commitments a veg box is out of the question, and how I miss it!
DaveT

Post by DaveT »

I've not been let down by co-op myself, so would be happy to see one in Syd. I'm more concerned about a repeat of the shennanigans when safeways was bought.. left the poor staff in a right state, not knowing what will happen to them next.

Safeyways -> Morrisons -> Somerfield...

In addition, to quote from The Metro (not really a great source of fact, but I'm just attributing the source)

Competition watchdogs will most probably require some of the Somerfield stores to be sold - with other food retailers to be interested in any of the disposals.

Considering that Morrisons released their Syd branch, under the same competition watchdog guidance (not the specific outlet, but that a number must be sold) might the co-op pick the same?
shell1

Waitrose

Post by shell1 »

Ronski wrote:Well in the article it says
"The Co-op may now look to sell some of the stores it has purchased, with Morrisons, Waitrose and Iceland touted as potentially interested parties."

So there's some hope, we certainly dont need an Iceland, I seem to remember some enthusiasm for a Waitrose a while back?
Isn't it about time Sydenham had a Waitrose (ok timing could have been better I guess what with the recession / credit crunch and all). If Waitrose decide to rise to the retail opportunity in Sydenham, then perhaps other quality stores will follow suit? They do the most gorgeous healthy salad range.
mikej

Post by mikej »

Referring to DaveT's good point,
Competition watchdogs will most probably require some of the Somerfield stores to be sold - with other food retailers to be interested in any of the disposals.
I can't see how the competition aspect would be relevant in Sydenham's case - after all, we're not inundated with Co-ops in this area. if anything, the whole area seems sown up by Sainsbury's, so it would apply almost anywhere else? What do others think?
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

You are absolutely correct Mike - "competition" worries won't stand in the way of the store becoming a Coop.

However, the Coop themselves may regard the shop as being too big. (The Coop see themselves in the "top-up" business where consumers use their stores not for giant weekly shops but for buying the odd pint of milk etc). The Sydenham store would be very much than larger than your typical Coop.

On the more positive anecdotal side, the staff of the store are absolutely convinced that the shop has been scheduled for a face-lift in the autumn and it would be difficult to believe that could happen if the store was not destined to be retained by the Coop.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I agree, I'd be very surprised if it wasn't to become a co-operative store. I don't think it is too big, lots of the new co-operative stores are larger and where I was born in Nottingham the stores there were huge. They are very similar in size to Budgens/Somerfield.

It looks like they have increased competition from across the road. We are getting a new supermarket in the old photographers shop. Unfortunately looking at the had written sign in the window, the fact that they don't appear to have cleaned the place before installing the shelves makes me think that this venture wont last that long and wont be an asset to the high street. I hope they prove my initial fears wrong.
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

Just spotted some news relevant to this thread:

http://ukpress.google.com/article/ALeqM ... 5Sy3qG50tQ

Basically Co-op have been given the green light to acquire Somerfield but they have to sell 126 stores. No idea which ones will be sold yet...
Wispy Wonder

Post by Wispy Wonder »

I wonder how many Saver Points Co op got with that purchase - surely enough for a free toaster.
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

lizzie wrote:Please god, not an Iceland! Being realistic, I think the chances of Waitrose wanting the Sydenham branch are slim. I'd be happy with a Co-op - they are "the UK's most eco-friendly retailer", after all (http://www.co-operative.coop/food/Shop-Green/). Maybe if enough people email the Co-op and ask them to hang on to it then they won't sell it to Iceland?

Liz
Why do you think that would be then Liz? Have you seen the prices and the housing stock here in Sydders? Outside of the obvious enclaves that our rowdy 'neighbours' inhabit of course.

I am with you though. I enjoy walking from Knighton Park Road to the Beckenham branch of Waitrose. And for the reason that it exists is very much the reason a Sydders branch of Waitrose will never be (in my opinion). It's just too close.

Waitrose keeps me green. I walk there (I choose not to own a car) with my 'bag for life' and walk back. The amount of money I spend at their (blooming lethal :D ) Deli counter means I keep a small Fair Trade nation in business for the next month!

I love Waitrose but as there's one in Beckenham I feel our hopes may be dashed. I'm not anti-Scummerfield per se. Their stock is OK but it's just the Scummerfield in West Greenwich (where I used to live just off Point Hill) and here are such depressing stores.

In short, I don't care what they do with it just do it up
Last edited by Greg Whitehead on 22 Oct 2008 12:46, edited 2 times in total.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I think the chances of having a waitrose are high.

1. Nothing caters for the higher end of the market in sydenham (there are million pound plus houses in Sydenham).
2. Waitrose sell some items cheaper than aldi and lidl.
3. There is no M&S here.
4. Supermarkets, rather than local traders look for gaps to fill. Local traders tend to copy what other people do in order to grap some existing trade.

But in reality it will probably become a co-op.