Sydenham Delivery Office up for sale

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

I think that all sounds good Scott! Ideally I think you want to find uses that bring people in from surrounding areas - so to me this suggests art exhibitions, performances, etc, on weekends and evenings in the week and then during business hours you either have business-orientated use or community useage such as mum & baby groups, local radio, local business support, etc.

I guess it all depends how flexible the useage is - do you envisage fixed use, or could it vary day by day? Varied would be great I think.

Where I grew up we had a civic centre that functioned as a market on Saturdays, and at other times was used for anything from the local orchestra rehearsals and performances, to dance classes, to youth group events..... very flexible, and very much at the heart of the community.

Ultimately though, I'm just sold on the market idea. I think that would be fantastic and anything else is a bonus!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I fully support a market but heard some worrying news that the sorting office may be bought by an independent church called "mountains of fire".

I believe this is their website:
www.mountainoffire.org/

While I have nothing against worship of any faith, what could be a viable, exciting, important local resource (i.e. the market/community resource) that could bring more people to the high street, which in turn could prove to be beneficial to other traders in the high street lose out to a USA style church.

It's obvious which one I'd prefer.

Perhaps a poll admin?

Market or church?
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

Market - no question.

I find the idea of a USA style church occupying this building extremely worrying.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

strange, what leads you to believe that it would be "USA style"? - The leaders name on teh website look Nigerian to me...
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

I hadn't looked at the website, I just took Lee's word for it :wink:

But now I've looked, it is an African church. However I am still completely opposed to them taking on this building. I feel it would be totally to the detriment of the community if it were used for a church, or anything else which only benefits certain people rather than the area as a whole.
fat_mike

Post by fat_mike »

Would definately object to this being an African Church! As this would only service a minority of the community
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

wouldn't that be great for the local area?

all those jesus freaks screaming about salvation, and the "mountain of fire will be coming down to BURN YOU SINNERS!" etc etc....

i do some training up in surrey quays and there's an african congregation who worship there. bloody hell do they make a lot of noise, and i would be really pissed off if i lived across the road.
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

Speaking of noise, I did a quick search online for this lot and found the following on here http://www.time1068.com/?s=g8n2n8&n=news

END TO CHURCH NOISE MISERY IN SIGHT
Belvedere residents are celebrating after the council refused the latest planning permission bid for the former North Kent Indoors Bowls Club. People living near the site have been complaining for months at the noise pollution caused by the Mountain of Fire and Ministries of Miracle Church, who have held services for thousands of church members in the building running into the night. Councillors warn that legal action may be taken against the group if the noise is not reduced to the legal requirements.
24 November 2007

Sounds great doesn't it???

Not to mention my philosophical objections to some of their beliefs/practices mentioned here:
http://www.metroeireann.com/index.php?o ... &Itemid=50
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

wankers.

hahahahha!!! check it out:

This coming Friday and Saturday, the Mountain of Fire and Miracles Ministries (MFM) will hold its ‘Ireland for Christ 2008’ event at the National Basketball Arena in Tallaght – the advertisements for which promise “healing and deliverance” from depression, martial “frustration”, sickness, substance dependence and “witchcraft attacks”.

MARTIAL FRUSTRATION! i wonder if this is what bush suffers from?
simon

Post by simon »

Surely they would need planning permission for change of use?
Paddy Pantsdown

Post by Paddy Pantsdown »

Deeply depressing. Raving pentacostals both at doors of the White House and now our Sorting Office. Here is a video of what may happen inside:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6TQs4hXP3I

PP
charlieandpip

Post by charlieandpip »

this is such depressing news.
Just as we hoped that the really special architectural buildings in Sydenham could be put to good use for the community it looks like it is going to become a noise nuisance as well as a space for very few people indeed from the local community.
castiron73

Post by castiron73 »

Scott, my wife and I would be willing to put £1000, perhaps more, into a community venture. Subject to a good business plan of course. I don't want to throw it away.

Can you round up enough people? If everyone in the Society invested £500 you would be there.
scott.l.hamilton

Post by scott.l.hamilton »

As I understand from the realtor, several offers have been made and a decision may be made next week by Royal Mail. I think there is one bid in that would be good for the community......................

I'll keep you posted...
castiron73

Post by castiron73 »

Oh well, I wasn't sure what the situation was, with the property market being so slow. Fingers crossed then. But given the closure of so many post offices I don't expect the community will be at the heart of Royal Mail's decision.