Sydenham Delivery Office up for sale

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Thomas

Sydenham Delivery Office up for sale

Post by Thomas »

Does anyone want to buy the recently-closed Sydenham delivery office?

Seriously, this is for sale (see link below for comprehensive details). It is in the Thorpes conservation area and is locally listed, so it has some protection but I wonder what might become of it.

http://www.nb2bsales.com/NB_Content/279/frameset.stm
marymck

Post by marymck »

Oo now that really would make a great building for a restaurant.
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Im surprised no one has been in touch with Sir Terence Conran already, telling him of a marvellous opportunity in Sydenham.

Actually, given the previous usage of the premises, it's probably not a good idea to open a restaurant there; your meal would probably get lost on its way from the kitchen.
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Joking aside, it is a great building. I would love to see it put to good use.
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

I've just had a chance to study the plans on the link....

I like the idea of the Minstrel's Gallery and the windows in the roof - I'm imagining a kind of Kew Gardens style restuarant with seating at the front.

Ideal if you're meeting people off the train, as it's opposite the alley, you can't miss it!
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

This could interest a developer interested in converting it into flats (one of the reports that can be accessed from the link above suggests that division into 14 units would be reasonable) - after all it is a largely residential area and there seems to be greater demand to live in Sydenham than to open a shop or restaurant. This would seem to me the most likely route (though this might take some time to happen in the current economic circumstances) and in principle, subject to plans, something I would not object to. Does anyone else have any other ideas?
scott.l.hamilton

Post by scott.l.hamilton »

This property was proposed to the council to be used as a potential market hall/ event gallery / community space. As it is not owned by the council, they are also not interested in purchasing (last I heard). also, this property had an exchanged contract for over £1million. This contract was dropped by the purchaser because of the inclusion of the property into the conservation area. Also, Planning application was submitted to the council for conversion to residential flats, but this was denied by the council... to my understanding...

I think that if investors can be found, this property would be a great Market hall for people to come and sell their wares without having to open a shop. Imagine a Farmers market with a butcher, fishmonger, baker, fresh local vegetables and the like on offer twice a week.

At other periods it can be used for local exhibitions, performances etc.

Also, the price has dropped, 2 months ago it was for sale for £750,000
Last edited by scott.l.hamilton on 10 Sep 2008 13:40, edited 1 time in total.
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

Oh don't tease us Scott, that would be so cool.... !!!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Love the hall/market/exhibition idea, brilliant.
scott.l.hamilton

Well, I am trying to find investors, anybody has ideas, let me know. I am more than willing to help manage the project. PM me if interested...
multisync

Post by multisync »

What a brilliant idea.Someone take it up please
dickp

Post by dickp »

Now £575,000 freehold.
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

Wow, if the price kept dropping at that rate, in six months time they'll be paying you to take it off their hands.
scott.l.hamilton

One can hope - The hope is to have some local investors contribute to the purchase of the Property as part of a Not-for-Profit company. In my Vison it would have a restaurant space let to an independent / local restaurant, market hall/exhibition space and Coffee Bar in the "mezzanine". All a pipe dream at this point, but it could be a way for a community group to raise the profile of the area.

Many Many possibilities... Now... to find investors or an existing NFP willing to help out...
jonekt

Post by jonekt »

This sounds like a brillant idea!

East Dulwich has a sort of gallery/ warehouse shared by different shops & stalls - perhaps they might be worth contacting to see if they want to branch out and do something similar a few miles away in Sydenham..?

Crystal Palace also had a similar thing at the back of a pub and it was great in the summer with stalls etc.
stone-penge

Post by stone-penge »

It could be an ideal venue for a McDonalds or a Burger king
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I hope that was sarcastic! lol
Nickerbockers

Post by Nickerbockers »

I think it should be a nightclub that has an over-30s night - somewhere for us 'oldies' (?) to go that isn't full of school kids and/or rough as hell.

Whatever way NO MORE COFFEE SHOPS or cafes!!! PLEASE!
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

Doesn't the Windmill cover that? I went in there for the first time the other week on a Saturday night, and it was full of people whose average age would've been 40-50 all enjoying the tribute act. Despite the slightly dodgy exterior it was very friendly and didn't seem rough at all.

(If there's any Aussies reading this, it reminded me of an RSL or bowling club - never really encountered somewhere like that in London before!)
Postman

Post by Postman »

Why didnt they just leave it as a sorting office? Now we have to go to Forest Hill for out parcels? Where's the sence in that? Another cut for the poor postman and women.