Penge moving ahead of Sydenham?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
mikej

Penge moving ahead of Sydenham?

Post by mikej »

I see that Wilkinsons - a useful short of shop which we don't have in this area (nearest in Orpington?) is opening soon in Penge - in the Blenheim Centre next to Iceland.
Also, a new Lidl is opening almost opposite Sainsbury's - in the old Edgington furniture store.
Two very good additions. Is Penge on the up? and why not Sydenham?
sean

Post by sean »

Wilkinson's is already open and Lidl opens next week I believe.
Rebelmc

Post by Rebelmc »

In my experiemce, Wilkinsons is little more than upmarket pound shop, and Sydenham has those hanging out of it's ears.

As for Lidl, there's been one in Sydenham for at least three years, so I'd say Penge is actually lagging behind a bit!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

On plus for Penge is alcohol free area in the high street. Anyone who has the misfortune to walk past the neighbourhood centre surely would appreciate that in SE 26.
paget76

Post by paget76 »

Out of interest, since when was a new Lidl a sign of being 'on the up'?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Simply put. No.

There are lots of things in the pipeline in Sydenham, Lets stop talking ourselves down. Penge is a larger shopping area, it has a Woolworths, it has a Sainsbury's in its high street. It's different.
Paddy Pantsdown

Post by Paddy Pantsdown »

paget76 wrote:Out of interest, since when was a new Lidl a sign of being 'on the up'?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2007 ... nsumernews

PP
multisync

Post by multisync »

Penge has a Tesco express as well!
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

As has already been said, Wilkinsons is certainly is not an indication of an area being on the up, while Sydenham already has a Lidl (regardless of whether you think that's a good thing or not).

As Lee says, why do we have to talk ourselves down? And why do we have to create some sort of competition between ourselves and Penge for which town can be "on the up" the most?? We should focus our energies on getting the best out of Sydenham and stop worrying about what is or isn't happening down the road.

And BTW - just have to say I was pleased to see the new costume hire place on Kirkdale. Ok, so it's not really opening up new shopping opportunities, but it has a nice shopfront and is a welcome replacement to an empty shop.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Everyone seems very excited about a shop called Wilkinsons. To be frank I have never heard of them , are they connected to Wilkinson Sword ??

I think we need a mixture of all types of shops aimed at all types of peoples.
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

As Rebelmc said, they're basically a slightly upmarket, larger, pound shop. They sell types of household products, stationery, etc etc. If you've never been to one you haven't missed anything!
leaf

Post by leaf »

Wilkinsons is not quite 'little more than a pound shop'....its more like superdrug, woolworths and a DIY store rolled into one.
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

But Leaf, you could say that about the bigger pound stores.. they also sell cosmetics and toiletries, household/DIY stuff, etc. The store layout, image, marketing, etc, of a Wilkinsons is what makes it seem more in common with a slightly nicer and bigger than normal version of a pound store as opposed to Woolworths, Superdrug, etc - they're just not in the same league - which also explains why Eagle (and others I'm sure) have never heard of Wilkinsons.

Maybe it's doing them a disservice, but that (in my experience) is the perception of them within the majority of the community also.

Basically, I don't think anyone needs to lose any sleep over the idea of investors going to Penge rather than Sydenham on the basis of whether or not we have a Wilkinsons!
maestro

Post by maestro »

I've not only heard of Wilkinson's, I've made trips down to Sutton specifically to use their store down there for years now. Haven't tried the Penge one yet (officially opens tomorrow I think). I find them quite unique, they offer a vast range of household/electrical/gardening items and some foodstuffs too. Their range of bathroom/kitchen cleaning products are excellent, their own 'Wilko' branded items are particularly good quality and value. Branded goods seem much less than what you'd normally pay in supermarkets or DIY stores. Quite unlike any 'Poundshop' I've ever been to (I often wander into them but can never spot much I'd want to waste a pound on!). I'm hardly celebrating the new Lidl though, there must be a bigger concentration of them around here than anywhere else in the UK. It would have been nice to see an Aldi or Netto open for a change.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Thanks for all the Info about Wilkinson's guess I will have to make my mind up whan I see it.

It is amazing to see with inflation and declining pound what they still sell in Pound Shops.
What do you think you can buy in a Zimbabwe Dollar Shop.??????????
maestro

Post by maestro »

Eagle wrote:Thanks for all the Info about Wilkinson's guess I will have to make my mind up whan I see it.

It is amazing to see with inflation and declining pound what they still sell in Pound Shops.
What do you think you can buy in a Zimbabwe Dollar Shop.??????????
Probably wouldn't even buy a plastic carrier bag at the till. Just a shame Mugabe's parents didn't invest a dollar in condoms all those years ago.
Postman

Post by Postman »

Well at least we have chef's Delight!! :wink:
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I always wondered about that title. Maybe the Ched is delighted but are the clients.
Postman

Post by Postman »

Maybe thats why Penge is up and coming! Maybe they dont want a chefs delight. lol
stone-penge

Post by stone-penge »

Penge also has a McDonalds...