Buses on Dartmouth Rd (Northbound) & Train problems!

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Gaz

Buses on Dartmouth Rd (Northbound) & Train problems!

Post by Gaz »

From TFL website:

DARTMOUTH ROAD, SE23: Routes 122 176 and 197 are diverted northbound only and subject to moderate delays from 1000 Monday 27 October for about 3 weeks due to Victorian water mains replacement works.
DIVERSION
Towards Forest Hill:
From Kirkdale diverted ahead via Kirkdale, Sydenham Hill, Sydenham Rise, Routes 176 and 197 then divert left into London Road to line of route, Route 122 diverts right into London Road, Devonshire Road to line of route.

***Not sure if I've seen this mentioned on here already.

Also, the trains were an absolute nightmare from Syd today. They cancelled 4 or 5 trains in succession with no warning or announcement until after it was due (we could see the trains pulling up to the points just outside the station, but then they just transferred to the fast track and went past!).

What is the panel's advice on the best way to London Bridge from Syd station should this happen again - has anyone got an email address to suggest a bus route to London Bridge from here..!?

Ta

Gaz
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

What time was that Gaz? I got the 7.40 in and it was fine.

I've always thought the only option in this situation would be to head down to Penge and get the train into Victoria? Problem with the bus is that it would take ages in peak hour traffic....
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

my train (0850) was late, and there was a cancelled train in the other direction..... They blamed "poor conditions" which was a farce as it was a lovely perfect autumn morning today!

the alternative route to London Bridge that I would suggest would be to go to lower sydenham station..... ring national rail enquiries before you head off to see if any problems are reported.
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

The weather was 'orrible at 6.58 when I got my train up to London with grey drizzle and ice, and my train came in and arrived on time so I don't know how they could blame the weather later on when it was bright and sunny.
GLOBAL THINKER

Post by GLOBAL THINKER »

I have gone back to East Croydon and got the fast train to London Bridge before, usually works quite well (apart from yesterday :wink: ) You just have to change platforms
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

GLOBAL THINKER wrote:I have gone back to East Croydon and got the fast train to London Bridge before, usually works quite well (apart from yesterday :wink: ) You just have to change platforms
and I hope your travelcard covers zone 5.... :wink:
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

I overheard a phone conversation that someone was taken ill on the 0857 and so this train sat at Forest Hill station, meaning that all trains behind (until the 0940!) had to bypass Syd.

The annoying thing was the announcements and info board were saying the next train was due, then it was 3-4 minutes late, then as we were watching it draw up to the points just south of Syd it was cancelled 'due to deteriorated track conditions in the metro area' and went straight past. Thing is when you finally get into work there is not a jot about any problems on their website to prove you're not exaggerating!

I think the only realistic alternative to get into the City would be to go to East Croydon and back out on the fast track or via Peckham Rye (but because of the above announcement it sounded like the problems were actually just outside London Bridge), or to get to Balham and tube it in...
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

you don't like lower sydenham then?
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

bensonby wrote:you don't like lower sydenham then?
I've never had to use this station and so have never actually been there to be honest, I've always lived in Upper Syd or Forest Hill areas (so my first thought was to get to Catford or Crofton). I'm not even too sure how to get there from Syd station..! :oops:
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Gaz wrote:
bensonby wrote:you don't like lower sydenham then?
I've never had to use this station and so have never actually been there to be honest, I've always lived in Upper Syd or Forest Hill areas (so my first thought was to get to Catford or Crofton). I'm not even too sure how to get there from Syd station..! :oops:
get the 202/194/450 down to savacentre (or walk), head down southend lane, turn down worsley bridge road on the right and its about 5 mins up on your left.

Its nto the most convenient place from Sydenham station, but I think it works out the quickest...especially if the east-sroydon train is a way off or there are major problems on the line.
Donny

Post by Donny »

I also watched three trains bypass Sydenham - so frustrating as if we had know we could have crossed over and caught the Victoria train. Was ill-advised to go to Norwood Junction to pick up a fast train although there wasn't any. 90mins wasted! Typically poor communication from Southern!
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

More fun and games from Southern this morning - my train is always 8 carriages, but this morning it was 4 carriages. No warning, no explanation, no apology. I get on down towards the back of the train anyway so I was okay and still got a seat, but those waiting at the other end of the platform had to run to get on. By FH the train was full, by HOP it was crammed, and by Brockley it was just ludicrous.....
oin

Post by oin »

Having been waiting at the front end of the train, I was one of the ones who had to jog all the way back down the platform to get on. We left Sydenham "crammed" and hit "ludicrous" at Forest Hill!
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

I think the poor track conditions at this time of year are the infamous "leaves on the line" which makes traction difficult - I've noticed that over the last week or so (major disruptions notwithstanding) that trains have been coming in slightly delayed, probably for this reason.
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

Poor tracks don't explain why they had to half the amount of carriages in peak hour!! Maybe the controllers were bored and were taking bets on how many passengers they could fit in a 4 car train...