Halloween in Sydenham

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
scott.l.hamilton

Halloween in Sydenham

Post by scott.l.hamilton »

Is anyone else going to the Halloween "event" organised by the TCM?

I will be there with mine. I will be the accompanied by a St. Bernard (the boy one) and a Princess ( the girl one) unless she changes her mind to a butterfly.
Children in fancy dress will gather outside Somerfield at 4pm for trick and treating around the local businesses, returning at 5.15pm for fancy dress judging. Sponsored by Somerfield, Sydenham Traders and LB Lewisham.
mysti77

Post by mysti77 »

Well I'll be getting some treats for the kiddies for when they come to my door but I'm not sure how much to get!! On a diet so don't want anything to be left over, but don't want to run out either!
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

I'll be there with a spider, a beautiful gothic witch and a skeleton. I'm the one with the witches hat, green hair and long pointy warty nose. (So no need to dress up too much!) :lol:

This is the third year we've done it and it's such a lovely atmosphere - everyone's so kind and friendly. Thank you in advance to all the Traders who take part.....
oin

Post by oin »

Mine will be there as a Viking skeleton and a toddler who won't wear her witches hat at a guess :). I'm hoping join them before the end. It seems like a nice idea.

mysti: in past years the trick or treating seems to be fairly quiet - mostly between 5 and 7. I wouldn't get too much in but YMMV.
mysti77

Post by mysti77 »

Do the kids even go on to the residential streets?!

I've got some chocolate but not seeing any ghosts/witches etc.
annabel mclaren

Post by annabel mclaren »

I've just come back from the high street where I caught the end of the Trick and Treat judging - all looked fantastic, and apparently there were 150 children taking part! Thanks to all the organisers!
scott.l.hamilton

Post by scott.l.hamilton »

Sorry I missed you Mummycat! I saw the Spider so I figure we were close. My son was the little ST Bernard and my daughter had the Cinderella dress...

I thought the event was great, and my wife enjoyed it as well. It was interesting to see which shops took part and which ones did not... It was a shame that several stores ran out of candy. I was amazed at the number of participants and the PSCO's which was good to see as well. It was a very nice "group" of people.

I think the organisers (Sydenham Traders, Somerfields and Julie) did an excellent job. There should be more community events....
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

We've just turned off the lit up pumpkins and shut the blinds. We had about 7 groups of kids, the young ones with either parents or older siblings. One little girl was TINY, and so cute, I did wonder whether she should be out. Anyway it kept me fit and warm running up and down the stairs.
We did have a skeleton (a crying skeleton, awwww...) with another older one and with mum and dad. Was it you and yours?

We bought two bags of sweets and have a handfull left.
biscuit

A BIG THANK YOU

Post by biscuit »

A BIG BIG THANK YOU TO ALL THE SHOPS and ORGANISERS of the Halloween event on Sydenham Road who made Halloween Friday SO special for the local kids! It was busy and all were in very good humour (well almost everyone anyway)! The children were treated to loads of sweets, goodies and lovely books. What a lovely idea.

It was fun in a safe and very well organised event. All the businesses were tremendous and many thanks to the PCO/PCSOs who kept a watchful and good spirited eye on the procession. It was great being amongst such fun and watching the kids having such a lovely time.

Thank you :P :P
mysti77

Post by mysti77 »

I only had 3 sets of kids turn up to my house for treats. Lucky kids got handfuls of chocolate but I still have tonnes more.

So sweet they were, wishing me happy halloween :) I'm glad that they had fun but wish more people took part. NOT a single teenager turned up and no eggs/flour etc. so I dunno what all the fuss was about.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

It looked like a good event, I went past on a bus as it looked like it was kicking off. I did see Scott out of the window but obviously I wasn't able to say hello :)
annabel mclaren

Post by annabel mclaren »

We reckon we had around 40 kids visiting on Friday night - all very cute, mostly in groups with mums and dads hovering. But whatever happened to Penny for the Guy?
yummymummy

Post by yummymummy »

We took part on Friday and it was a fab event, thanks to the Sydenham traders and those who organised it. there were not enough trick or treaters to my door :-( we have tons of goodies left over! plus the bag full from the high street. I wont need to buy any sweets for the rest of the year. I look forward to next year.
mummycat

Sydenham Traders Trick or Treat 30th October

Post by mummycat »

The annual Sydenham Halloween event for children, will take place on Friday 30th October next week, not actually on Halloween itself.

Meet at 4pm outside Somerfield for instructions. Judging of Fancy Dress will be at 5:15pm outside 59 Sydenham Road (old House of Curtains). Incidently where the Sydenham Road proposals are being displayed (don't forget to sign the petition: http://www.petitiononline.com/sydroad/)

I'm adding this announcement to last year's post to remind everyone how popular it was!
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

I'm all in favour of kids having a great time...Christmas / Easter etc. Breaking up for the holidays.... Birthdays. But I really don't get this 'Halloween' business. What on earth are they celebrating? It all seems a bit odd.
I'm not a killjoy...Just a bit confused, really.

I suspect our present Halloween is basically a daft American import...?
NorthernIrelandSydenham

Post by NorthernIrelandSydenham »

The Irish took it to America and as far as our 'present Halloween' goes, well everything has to develop for modern desire.

Good stuff, will be bringing my wee girl to this, she will love it.

I have a feeling she will be going as something Irish and scary.
:twisted:
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

They may have taken it to USA [Good old USA!!]. But, what are you actually celebrating?

'Develop for modern desire'? That doesn't mean much. Sometimes its not right to do something just because you may feel like it.

Let's all dress up? Why? Why not celebrate 4th July?

Kids should know why they are 'doing stuff' ... Otherwise it is pretty pointless.
Christhom

Post by Christhom »

Halloween is now established in the UK so its pointless arguing against it.Its an old European event but obviously Americanised now. I think the prohibition and or expense of private Guy Fawkes night celebrations has left a space for it. Also to be honest if you're a kid its a lot of fun. Its very colourful and involves sweeties !
Even I succumbed and put a plastic RIP tombstone in my back garden and a pumpkin mini windmill. ' Death be not proud '.
NorthernIrelandSydenham

Post by NorthernIrelandSydenham »

It’s pretty pointless for some of the grownups that take kids and can’t really be bothered, but it’s never petty and meaningless for the children?! Were you never a child Trawlerman? Take a walk down on the night and see the eye of enjoyment.

I think maybe coming from where I do, makes me value the Halloween event more and take it for what it is. (pint of the black please)

'Develop for modern desire' means quite a lot. Developing something for modern desire is a way we maintain old ways, if only the Church of England thought of such things, it might be able to hold a modern congregation above 20 people!

We move on and we adopt, this is essential, as children of today are fed contemporary by the spoonful. And if we don't, then things we hold dear die.
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

I understand what you are saying...But my point has still not been answered. What are we celebrating?

'Trick or treat'?

Some older 'kids' have turned this bit of harmless 'fun' into a festival of extortion and intimidation. Some older people are so nervous that they refuse to open their doors. I kid you not.

The 'modern' is not good in itself. Developing something for the modern desire is an empty phrase.

Perhaps you mean 'evolve' , 'adapt' ...But for what? To what end?
Fun? What is the impetus behind the 'fun'?

Celebration must have a reason... Or else it is empty. Even children deserve to have a basis for their celebration...Or more precisely... especially children.

The modern age is too full of meaningless 'fun' and hedonism. Look at what has happened to Christmas.

Let us try and bring some proper meaning into our lives and our children's lives. The modern world is full to the brim with pointlessness, greed and profit for its own sake.

Our children deserve better.