Freeview boxes

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Ella

Freeview boxes

Post by Ella »

Is anyone else having problems with their freeview box? About 10 days ago all of a sudden our box told us it couldn't find any channels. We have one TV with an in-built system and there is no problem with that just the box. Not sure where I should buy a new box or if there is something fundamentally wrong.
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

I have heard that some boxes stopped working following some upgrading that Freeview did. I did think this happened a few months back (see http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/low/tech ... 561287.stm) but it might be possible that this is actually ongoing?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Different boxes have stopped working at different times due to the Freeview specification being 'on-going'. Usually its because the original box maker did not envision so many channels and the max number has been exceeded.

Google your box name/model to check.

Also be aware that in order to squeeze in more HD channels the spec is under re-discussion. Hence any current Freeview HD device may not work when the new HD channels come to Crystal Palace in 2012 (and even that date is under review).
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10/22 ... _high_def/

I guess the advice is to buy a cheap box (<£20) which you don't mind throwing away in a year or two. But then cheap boxes`may not be the most reliable ...

Admin
Ella

Post by Ella »

Thank you natbeuk and Admin. Looks like I will have to buy a new box.
mysti77

Post by mysti77 »

mine stopped working too :(
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

I might have one going spare Ella. I had one (still working according to the search Admin suggested) but then moved to a Bravia with Freeview built in and now have switched to Virgin Media.

If I can find it consider it yours and I'll PM you.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Ella wrote:Thank you natbeuk and Admin. Looks like I will have to buy a new box.
Ella, was your box one of the ones listed on the BBC report above?

Ta

Gaz