Thorpe Conservation Area

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Graeme&David

Thorpe Conservation Area

Post by Graeme&David »

Good evening

We are in the process of looking at some properties in the Thorpe conservation area, and wondered if someone would be able to point us in the direction of a source of information regarding what can and cannot be done to the houses ? We understand that the restrictions are quite tight and sometimes extend to what can and cannot be done to large trees in private gardens - is this correct ?

We must commend you on a truly impressive website, it has proved incredibly useful and clearly demonstrates that people living in Sydenham really care about their locality and are prepared to do something about issues that arise - you don't see much of that in London anymore !!

Thanks for your help, hope to hear from you soon :D

PS: we did try a search of the forums but could not find any previous posts on this topic.
charlie

Post by charlie »

Annoyingly, there used to be a series of incredibly detailed - almost dementedly so - documents about this on the Lewisham website, but they seem to have gone now. (You can see the cached Thorpes 'home page' by Googling 'thorpes estate sydenham'.) From what I remember the rules were pretty strict but, as you'll see when you wander around the streets, they're not exactly rigidly adhered to...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes the redesign of the Lewisham website a week or so ago is a disaster. I have a private hunch that is where they sent the folks who did the Cobbs Corner roundabout. More about that here:
http://forum.sydenham.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=284

You can use "WayBackMachine" to rescue the contents of pages no longer in the Google cache. I can't find anything with the search terms above cached at Google. We may find it at http://www.archive.org. Problem is AFAIR they don't do PDFs.

Perhaps we could ask a Sydenham councillor to go and dig a copy out of Laurence House for us? We can certainly give it a safe new home here.
charlie

Post by charlie »

sorry, the search terms i meant to suggest were 'thorpes estate conservation'. but i swear, this morning i get a completely different result to last night. you can see something of the old pages by clicking 'view as html', though...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Charlie - all I can find is two uncached documents. The only HTML I can retrieve is:

>>>>>>
25. Sydenham Thorpes (Map Ref C9)
Designated in 2001. An Edwardian estate dating from 1901 – 1914, built on the site of the grounds of the Old House, Sydenham Road (demolished in 1902). A compact grid of modestly sized terraced and semi-detached houses lined along a grid-like network of roads. The varied design of the houses reflects the most popular of contemporary architectural influences, and detailing is of a high quality. Street trees and private gardens also make an important contribution to the character of the area, which has a strong period feel.
<<<<<<

Nuffin about what shall/shall not do.... Any more leads?
charlie

Post by charlie »

sorry, that seems to be it. last night the cache had a page with a brief history of the thorpes, plus (now dead) links to PDFs with detailed drawings, plans, etc. lewisham will surely still have these knocking around somewhere...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Don't worry charlie. I'm sure some of our regular Thorpe based conservationists will be along shortly with some ideas/documents. If not - I'll have a word...
annabel mclaren

Thorpes conservation area

Post by annabel mclaren »

In response to Graeme and David's inquiry - the Thorpe Estate became a conservation area in 2000 and shortly afterwards was given an Article 4 direction (which means that it benefits from fairly strict planning controls). In practice this means retention or refurbishment of the original windows and doors, no vehicle 'crossovers', retention of the rubble and flint garden walls etc. Planning permission is required for new roofs, windows, extensions, conservatories etc - it is always best to check with the conservation officer at Lewisham. Prior to 2000 many original features were lost - one of the reasons why the Sydenham Society pushed for the added protection afforded by conservation area status. Many of the garden trees will be covered by Tree Protection Orders - in particular the poplars which are a feature of the estate and were part of the old field boundaries. Again, best to check with the council. There is an excellent leaflet on the history and architecture of the estate which was available on the previous version of Lewisham's website - I too have just searched the new site and can't find it. I have a copy so if you message me privately I can let you one - or email Lewisham's planning dept at: planning@lewisham.gov.uk
Apologies if this sounds demented - but the Thorpe streetscape is unique!
Oh, and there's a very relaxed residents association too!
Graeme&David

Thorpe Conservation Area

Post by Graeme&David »

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies.

Since our original posting, we've had our offer accepted on a property in the Thorpes.

So if all goes according to plan, we should soon be completing our application to join the Sydenham Society :)

Graeme & David
charlie

Post by charlie »

congratulations, greame & david - you'll love it here.
annabel, since you seem to be an expert on the subject, i hope you don't mind me asking a quick question... i'm in the thorpes and need to find a builder who will do a 'sympathetic' job of repairing some of my house's brickwork. i don't suppose you - or anyone else - knows of someone?
thanks in advance...
annabel mclaren

thorpes

Post by annabel mclaren »

Hi Charlie
I'll ask around! In the meantime, if anyone else has any good recommendations it would be great to hear about them.
DukeofThorpe

Post by DukeofThorpe »

You can actually find the all of the PDF documents concerning the conservation area on the following web site under the literature and links section:

http://stepwisebuilding.co.uk

Rgds

:)
Graeme&David

Post by Graeme&David »

Thanks for the link to that website - what a fantastic website with so much information !! Incredibly useful indeed.