NEW GREYHOUND - 1st IMPRESSIONS?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
admin
Site Admin

NEW GREYHOUND - 1st IMPRESSIONS?

Post by admin »

The first images of the Cobbs Corner proposed redevelopment are now here (courtesy of SydSoc to whom I would like to thank for their help in getting this story out):
http://www.sydenham.org.uk/news_greyhound_plans.html

What do you think?

Admin
Last edited by admin on 11 Mar 2009 14:15, edited 1 time in total.
simon

Post by simon »

Well, there is certainly a lot of residential development there, which I suppose was inevitable. The addition of retail is welcome and I am glad the bulk of the Greyhound building has been saved but what for? Is it planned for retail, or could it actually revert to being a pub?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Judging by the image they are proposing green roofs and the clutter around the greyhound will be removed leaving a stand along building with a square behind with shops.

My initial impression is...Wow. If properly detailed, the modern buildings could contrast with the old, really setting off the Greyhound. Hopefully the Greyhound would become a really well run pub. I think it will look great (as long as they don't suddenly start diluting the spec and putting in plastic windows and cheap shoddy shop fronts with horrible signage as we currently have in many shops in the high street.

As Nasaroc said earlier, we need a strategy, we need enforcement of that strategy and we need quality competition to raise standards.

I welcome these proposals, I think they are a good mix of modern and old and could be a real asset to the area. Please do them, do them well and help make Sydenham proud of itself again.

Combined with the interesting proposal for Bell green, which looks well thought out and designed, we may finally have a catalyst for growth that is well thought out, well designed and doesn't destroy our heritage.
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

Anything's better than the Greyhound in its present state, but I'm not sure that the retail spaces are a great addition - there are already several empty shops on the high street at the moment. Let's hope I'm proved wrong and that new businesses are attracted to the development.

I also echo Lee's comments that the quality will need to be there in both the design and finish of the new buildings if this place is to be an asset.
boon

Post by boon »

We moved to Sydenham after the grey boarding was put up around the Greyhound, which somewhat limits my perspective - I'm not sure what the corner looked like outside of pictures. That said, I do think that the new proposal is very good. Clearly something has to be done there, and it is a prime location for both business and residence. What's proposed looks like a good compromise for introducing new development as well as keeping the pub (assuming that it's going to actually stay a pub and not be converted to offices or something similar).

My only concern is whether or not there's the demand to fill any new retail space. The high street has several unoccupied units, and quite a number of duplicated services (hairdressers, nails, pound shops) with high turnover. Is there any information from the developers as to how they expect to fill these?
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

It looks alright, but then artists impressions always do.

Anything is an improvement on the current eyesore.

I dont remember ever seeing an impression of what the original development was going to look like 'sans Greyhound'. I would be interested in comparing the two.

If it gets the go ahead, then will work begin straight away? Had the original plans been sanctioned, it would probably be nearing some sort of completion now.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Regarding the retail units, the council HAVE to develop a strategy or this.

• Encourage certain types of businesses to the area.
• Offer them discounted preferential rates initially to encourage the shops that fulfill a set criteria for the type of business they are trying to attract for a set period.
• Ensure the business they attract compliment one another, ideally grouping complimentary business together. If the high street were to have a butcher, baker and fishmonger, they should be together, not spaced out over the whole high street (we currently have an excellent but rather grotty looking butchers opposite Home Park, who walks all the way down there?).
• Ensure that the signage of the shops is within set guidelines and ENFORCE it. We don't want any more shops with no signs, broken signs, miss matching shop fronts, ugly signs like the Atlantic sea fish shop sign on the discount jumble sale place in the high street.

This is going to be a gateway to Sydenham, how it looks will reflect on the whole of Sydenham and in turn will have a huge effect on trade. Landscaping, urban art etc will make a huge difference to the scheme.

It will take time to get it right, get the right type of business, but even in todays market it can be done if you find the right business, do it well and let people know about it.
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

Hmmmm, I'm reserving judgment on that. I'll be intrigued to see how it actually looks when built, and I can only echo Lee's comments about the need to make sure the retail units are managed properly.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I think that the devil will be in the detail (apologies for this tired old cliche) and I look forward to finding out more about this - potentially this could be good news for Sydenham.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I am not impressed and cannot help thinking what The Prince of Wales would say.
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

On the one hand it's good to see some movement with the Greyhound site & it's great it's going to change as it can't stay as it is.

On the other hand the design seems underwhelming to me. The flats architecturally look quite poor, like every other 'quickie' development, it doesn't stand out as something inspiring for Sydenham but hey probably my expectations are too high. Reminds me of the flats being built in Forest Hill, imagine them in 5 years covered in traffic dirt & we'll have our own mini Croydon.

Anyway that's just a first impression, I'll reserve any judgement until we can see the model, I'm not saying don't build but it just could have been much more interesting :)
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Oh no! I'm never usually the negative one..! :(

I've thought twice about posting this and hope that I've just misinterpreted the pics but...

My first impression is of a council estate on Westferry Road near where I used to live on the Isle of Dogs; this too had a darker island building surrounded by "white-washed" flats with shops beneath.

The stress must absolutely be on very high quality design of build, space and retail outlets - as at the moment (I'm very sorry to say) the images make me think of of a 50s ghetto that could easily turn into a no-go area...
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

With just one elevation it's difficult to judge. From the angle we've got it looks OK, but I wonder what residents of PHG are going to see when they look out of their back windows? Still, I guess some fairly intensive use of the current car park is inevitable so they're going to be overlooking flats which ever way it goes.

I think this has potential, particularly if combined with some of the Sydenham Gateway ideas, it could become an interesting space.

It's also a shame we have had to get to a point where we have a boarded-up pub and plans submitted in the midsts of a massive economic downturn, but still, we are where we are.
blue&whitewizard1991

Post by blue&whitewizard1991 »

Weeble, makes a very good point. 'We are wear we are', given the current economic climate it is now surprise that this planned development is high on density and low on architectural significance. The developer just wants to get the flats up as quickly and at as little cost as possible. If this can be achieved you may well find that these flats are priced very competitively compared to similar schemes down the road in Forest Hill (built before the recession hit) that don't benefit from more conservative income projections. In my eyes (regardless of aesthetics) the development is therefore likely to stimulate Sydenham's economy by attracting young proffessional first time buyers, that otherwise might ahve been attracted elsewhere.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

What if it had green walls aswell as roofs?

http://www.eco-age.com/page.php?id=store

Cenzo

Post by Cenzo »

Obviously its only an intial view so is subject to change, but I think the plans could use a few more trees. The surrounding landscape is a bit grey and dull and that would help brighten it up.
Chances of it happening is low to zero i imagine
Wispy Wonder

Post by Wispy Wonder »

Where will the new residents and those using the shops actually park?

'Oh - sorry guys, hadn't thought of that - maybe we need to bulldoze the pub after all.' says the developer.

W. Wonder
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

They wouldn't submit the plans if they didn't think or it wasn't going to happen.

Not everyone has a car and perhaps there will be an underground carpark.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Wispy the shops would attract people in walking distance. Good idea houses without car parking spaces. They are 100 yds from a station and from about 5 or 6 bus routes
SMOKEIT

Post by SMOKEIT »

i do like the overall masterplan for the site and how they have opened up the site at street level...it makes a positive contribution to the sydenham gateway. well done guys.
however the new-build apartments definately needs some work.
the trees on the roof are an attempt to 'green' the scheme...i seriously doubt that someone is going to have 10 potted trees on their roof terrace. take the planting away and the building themselves are monolithic white blocks. they need to work on articulating the facade drawing from elements from the surrounding buildings pushing out/setting back some elements such as windows or balconys and varying their pallete maybe with some cedar boarding to the facade as per lee's photograph