Bell Green Development

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
activist

Bell Green Development

Post by activist »

I heard that the government has approved Sainsbury's proposal to build two new large retail units on their savacentre site.

Do we know what is happening now - are there detailed planning applications and who is likely to move in?
Pat Trembath

Bell Green

Post by Pat Trembath »

Planning permission was granted lin November 2003 following a Public Inquiry. Permission is for 2 retail sheds and a dri-thru restaurant. Detailed plans are on the council's books but there is no indication that anyone is rushing to move in. This may be because there is a planning application on the larger site, behind the gasholders and Sainsburys may be waiting to see the outcome of this before they start building and marketing..

The application for the larger site is for a massive Homebase and Garden Centre (just imagine the weekend traffic!) several other retail sheds some business or light industrial units and yet another driv-thru restaurant.

Together with the 1100 car parking spaces already on Savacentre site, the 99 approved for the site in front of the Savacentre as yet undeveloped, this third application is for a further 470 car parking spaces -making a TOTAL of over 1700 free car parking spaces at Bell Green.

This application is likely, if approved by Lewisham, be called in for review by by Mayor Ken and ,if approved, by the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister.

Sydenham Society has objected to plans for retail development at Bell Green for over 10 years on the grounds of traffic impact and the impact of the a massive retail park on the towns of Catford, Forest Hill and Sydenham.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Well done Pat. I am sure most locals agree 100% with your views.
Homebase , surely the one at the other end of Southend Lane is close enough.
I regret Forest Hill Centre is beyond redemption but hopefully not too late for Sydenham
areopagus

Post by areopagus »

I've just noticed that the fenced area between the Sainsbury carpark and Bell Green now contains a very large earth-mover and several portacabins. Does anybody know what is happening?