WHAT IF: no1 THE NABOURHOOD CENTRE

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Sainsbury's started as one shop, like most large brands today. They were a local shop.

I just don't buy this 'tesco, sainsbury's, asda' etc put local shops out of business (although I have major issues with Tesco having worked for them). They provide what people want, sainsbury's especially are quite green as a brand and ethical. Local shops have to try harder.

The Butchers near Home Park closed recently. Many people on this forum said they didn't use it and the reasons why. I know that they were given similar feedback by Sydenhamites, they didn't act on the feedback and now they are shut.

The main reason why our high street has empty shops is because they haven't risen to the challenge.

We have a large sainsbury's and yet we have:
• Two ISTANBUL (Formally MFC3) convenience stores.
• A bakery
• Somerfield (soon to be the Co-operative)
• Lidl
• A flower stall
• Various smaller convenience stores
• Tesco metro
• A (very good) bookshop
• A couple of off licences
• Wear Abouts for childrens clothes (among other clothes stores)
• Various newsagents
• Fruit and veg shop
• Superdrug
• 3 general stores (aka pound shops) all of whom sell products you can get in Sainsbury's.

Sainbury's also has a cafe and we have a few of those too.

So clearly Sainsbury's doesn't kill every local business in Sydenham!

I think Local shops should try harder.

The high street as a whole looks tatty as has been said many times before. When the issues is raised that shops should make more of an effort you always get someone saying 'don't criticise successful local businesses'. Fact is, all businesses should listen to their customers and criticism and turn it into a positive.

If they can improve and it's an investment worth making, then make it.

Lots of shops have opened and shut in the short time I have been living in Sydenham, lots of new signs gone up, shop fronts replaced etc and yet hardly a single business seems to have use this forum for research or asked it's customers what they thought. Some, like smart chaps changed a perfectly fine shop front for no apparent reason which must have cost them thousands.

It's one reason why brands are so successful. Believe it or not, they take criticism and feedback VERY seriously.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

nimbyboy wrote:There's a marble Sainsbury shop front under one of the pound shop frontage.
Interesting thought that they had an old fasion shop in the high street once and have now killed the trade in bell green and lower Sydenham.
Now they re invent themselves as Sainsbury's local shops so they can put the small local businesses to the wall
I don't think Sainsbury's has killed the High street shops. East Dulwich (don't groan), has a big Sainsbury's (and what's more it's open 24 hours) and you can't say Lordship lane has been killed by that.

Basically the shops on the High street need to do stuff that Sainsbury's doesn't do, and sell it in a way that makes shopping on the High street a pleasant experience in a way that the supermarkets never can, that's how come the shops of Lordship lane thrive.
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

Julwz and leenewham raise some interesting points. For my two penneth I think we suffer as we effectively have 4 'High Streets' within relatively close proximity (5 if you count Dartmouth Road, after all Forest Hill is Sydenham's forgotten offspring :wink: ). We have Bell Green (it's all 'Lower Sydenham' from the station down to J Sainsbury but for clarity I'll call it Bell Green) plus Sydenham Road, Kirkdale and indeed J Sainsbury itself having as much floor-space and range of stock as an average High St.

Hence why we have businesses in Kirkdale replicating what is found in Sydenham Road who are themselves replicating the tawdry fare to be found at Bell Green. These salmonella vendors seem to close down and re-open as the same type of business about on average once a year...

If Lesser Dulwich ought to be held up as anything then it ought to be how they have struck a 'balance'. They have their Iceland's and their William Roses. It's a healthy balance in line with the resident demographic. Not so in Sydders. I think it's because, in the main, all the residents of the many comfy streets in Sydders simply shop/eat elsewhere [save a few notable exceptions which we all can list].

As for Smart Chaps the owner was telling me Lee that it was for security that he removed the mahogany frontage. He basically said he'd tried to keep the original but everyone else was going for 'shutters'. I'd be keen to know who will be slapping his wrist given the status of the conservation order...

BTW I hate supermarkets with a passion. Katherine has to drag me almost kicking and screaming to Waitrose - I even hate going there. I'd love to shop locally more but there are few High St businesses worthy of my custom. I hate seeing businesses going to the wall but there's a perverse satisfaction at the travails of some.

Phew! Long two penneth?
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Juwlz and Ulysses make some excellent points. Unfortunately i was tempted to post further comments in the "Threat to Sydenham Road Improvements" thread, but i see it has been locked.
I was chatting to a lesser well-known member of BALGRA this morning about Lewisham being flexible over some genuine concerns that some residents and traders have , and that woking for a solution for everyone is good.
He was still a tad reluctant to admit the plans for Sydenham Road were a good idea and said the road will only improve when we get better businesses to the area. And that got me thinking about the whole 'chicken and egg' debate.
I think/hope that by Lewisham pushing for improvements to the High St (or Sydenham Road, if you want to be pedantic/factual) will actually draw better businesses to the vacant units we currently have and may persuade other traders to up their game. It's good for Lewisham to press for improvements which will atrract more people to the area and take the first step to making it a destination site, rather than Bell Green or Forest Hill Sainsburys

Like Ulysses says, Lordship lane has it's share of cheaper shops because a High St needs diversity to match the poulation. And it still does well, despite Dog Kennel Hill Sainsburys around the corner.
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

Nothing more depressing than the approach to Sainsbury's Sydenham [on foot]... Acres of cars shunting to-and-fro, hordes of starlings and crows, bleak and windswept outlook... And then to be welcomed into the embrace of Sainsbury's...