WHAT IF: no1 THE NABOURHOOD CENTRE

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
leenewham

WHAT IF: no1 THE NABOURHOOD CENTRE

Post by leenewham »

This is my first 'what if'.

I may do more if it's well received and who knows, perhaps the council will take notice.

What if the Nabourhod centre (this is the current version)...

...was painted and had a bit of TASTFUL signage so people actually know what it is!. Is it that difficult or expensive to do? Some nice proper phoneboxes would be nice in such a prominent location (and remove the damaged and tired railings while your at it council too!)

And perhaps it's worth changing the net curtains in the window. How about some fresh different coloured vertical blinds to bring a bit of colour to the high street?

Last edited by leenewham on 19 May 2009 19:05, edited 1 time in total.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Looks great - prefer the top one, but either would be fab.
Mind you I favour knocking the whole lot down and making a town square!!!
Cheese Wotsits

Post by Cheese Wotsits »

yes please!!
I prefer the one with the coloured blinds, but even a coat of paint will make a huge difference! I can't believe they've let it look so bad!

I guess bright colours aren't everyone's cup of tea, I like them, but we could do something similar with muted colours or even print them with something to do with Sydenham :-)
Cheese Wotsits

Post by Cheese Wotsits »

yes please!!
I prefer the one with the coloured blinds, but even a coat of paint will make a huge difference! I can't believe they've let it look so bad!

I guess bright colours aren't everyone's cup of tea, I like them, but we could do something similar with muted colours or even print them with something to do with Sydenham :-)
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

that's great Lee, nice job.

I'd pick the middle one, can we rename it as well as re-brand it?
parker

Post by parker »

The thirds definetely the best, makes it look more stylish and covers the windows on the lower floor unlike the other two.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Both of the mock-ups look good - how much would they cost to implement?

Any chance you could give the street drinkers a makeover whilst you're at it (e.g. new clothes, tattoo removal, teeth whitening etc)?
Willy

Post by Willy »

What happens in this building, I thought it was an empty office building waiting to die!
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Willy wrote:What happens in this building, I thought it was an empty office building waiting to die!
It's the HQ for the Sydenham Literacy trust....The Sydenham Grammatical society is based next door in the Two Half's (sic)
sugahill cafe

what if

Post by sugahill cafe »

Great Job Lee,
Would have thought you could achieve that exterior including signage(+all materials and labour) for
roughly 3,500.Add to that the cost of the scaffolding,and the blinds.
MiniFox

Post by MiniFox »

Shall we have a whip round..?
parker

Post by parker »

No! Im sure our extortionate taxes can pay for that!
Annie

Post by Annie »

bensonby wrote:
Willy wrote:What happens in this building, I thought it was an empty office building waiting to die!
It's the HQ for the Sydenham Literacy trust....The Sydenham Grammatical society is based next door in the Two Half's (sic)
:lol: chuckle :lol:
Annie

Post by Annie »

:D I Love the mock up,what a difference it makes,
clever stuff.

If only!

Do you know what Lee? I didn't realise how run down that place is,
Please do some more,its really opening up my eyes.
MiniFox

Post by MiniFox »

parker wrote:No! Im sure our extortionate taxes can pay for that!
Perhaps we can persuade our MP to use it as a 2nd home and expense it?
Sorry, now I sound like a Daily Mail reader
parker

Post by parker »

Minifox, you dont have to be a 'Daily Mail reader' to wonder bitterly about what Lewisham is spending your money on, especially when the borough your paying taxes to live in is in a dire state. Sydenham not being the only ward!
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

i think the building definitely needs a makeover. Thanks to Lee for the mock-ups. It's hardly a shining beacon of Sydenham, and a damning criticism of it, when you consider it is operated by Lewisham Council.

I think a rebranding/renaming of the centre is in order.

'Neighbourhood Centre' anyone....?

And as for MPs expenses.....
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... claim.html
poppy

Post by poppy »

I love the coloured blinds Lee, paint and font/sinage style. You probably know how often I have banged on about those dreadful net curtains.

I think the building is used frequently by adults with special educational needs, and cynically I know, maybe the council don't think they would appreciate nice surroundings and how wrong they would be!!!!

There is actually a rather tired and not very obvious 'community noticeboard on the outside'.

Maybe a Sydenham arts fest poster would be nice in the window or doorway, or one for the International music fest. They would brighten it up a bit....
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

Juwlz wrote:Looks great - prefer the top one, but either would be fab.
Mind you I favour knocking the whole lot down and making a town square!!!
Steady on - you'll have the Syd Soc getting Lewisham to slap a 'conservation' status on this grotesque eyesore and then we'll be stuck with it until it falls down.

BTW - why couldn't they spell 'Neighbourhood' bit correctly when it first became that? Is it an Americanism or could someone genuinely not spell? Or am I just missing some obscure point somewhere?

Personally I am in favour of Julwz suggestion - the bulldozer job......
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

BTW - why couldn't they spell 'Neighbourhood' bit correctly when it first became that? Is it an Americanism or could someone genuinely not spell? Or am I just missing some obscure point somewhere?
And how do you pronounce it? I've heard some important person at a meeting say 'Nabberhood', which sounded a bit weird to me.