Kente coffee shop - first impressions positive!

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
sydenhamboy

Kente coffee shop - first impressions positive!

Post by sydenhamboy »

Well we've got ourselves another rather pleasant coffee shop. Just popped in there - it's all quite tasteful and definitely better than I imagined. Do check out the back garden - it's all decked nicely and it was very pleasant out there. Guess we should all support it. The signage isn't amazing but the shop front looks good.
I think it's a move in the right direction.
Thoughts anyone???
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Yes - nice cup of tea for only 80p, and a good location to read the papers or look out and see what's happening on Sydenham Road ... which clearly has a bearing on why they wanted to get rid of the old front, even though retaining the basic shape of it.
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

Excellent - and we can pop in and have a cup of coffee and a pastry safe in the knowledge that:

1. We wont be bumping into those who have made a declaration on this site to boycott it.

2. We will be supporting a small business trying to make a go of it in a very uncertain economic climate.

That's what they call a 'win win' I believe.
leaf

Post by leaf »

gillyjp wrote:Excellent - and we can pop in and have a cup of coffee and a pastry safe in the knowledge that:

1. We wont be bumping into those who have made a declaration on this site to boycott it.

2. We will be supporting a small business trying to make a go of it in a very uncertain economic climate.

That's what they call a 'win win' I believe.
:)
scott.l.hamilton

Post by scott.l.hamilton »

Stopped in today and was very pleased! The coffee was delicious and the service was very friendly. The patio in the back with four tables is nice and offers just a little retreat from the street without having to go to the Dolphin. For all the grief about the window, it is quite nice to sit and people watch through.

While the Sign is terrible, the rest is clean and well done. Why don't we design a new one for them? If they like it they can run a " change our sign" fundraiser. I'd slip a tenner in a cup to contribute.

I will support them like any of the other shops I like on the Street. The sign is not enough to make wish them ill and the change to the door means it is buggy friendly.

I wish them luck.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Sounds like a challenge Scott!

Hmmm, a new 'what if' coming soon then. Just a few changes (which wouldn't cost much either) would totally change the way it looks and is perceived.
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

Well said Scott, and look forward to that idea about the sign, lee. I had a baguette and a coffee out in the decked patio area on sat morning .. nice to be away from that road .. highly pleasant. We've got to support it because it was the sort of place we were crying out for a year or two ago.
One or two more nice bars, a deli and pizza express and we'll be getting there. Think we should really go for that new sign idea - it's gonna be embarrassing telling them isn't it?!!! :oops:
scott.l.hamilton

Post by scott.l.hamilton »

We should absolutely go ahead with a sign redesign. Let them know the background and offer to help. They may not know people are upset about, it I am willing to bet another tenner that they will make the change if it will help with business...
blue&whitewizard1991

Post by blue&whitewizard1991 »

Went in there for a coffee and to read the paper on Sunday morning - it was a thoroughly pleasant experience. The decked area at the back is wonderful and the staff can't do enough for you. Good VFM as well.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Where is the coffee shop? Can someone tell me where it is?

And Scott. I am disappointed that you seem to consider there is an alternative to beer at the Dolphin........
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Tim Lund wrote:Yes - nice cup of tea for only 80p,

That's a shame....I only drink a horrible cup o ftea :cry:
noangel

Post by noangel »

Fabulous, it looks good afar from Silverdale :D (I haven't had the need to get further than the station since it opened).

Does anyone know if they do a "take-away" service? I need a cheap alternative the Megabucks coffee I get whilst in London Bridge.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I will give it a go.
Hopefully does not have horrendous music like The Blue Mountain , which is patently there for the staff rather than the customers ?
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

yep totally agree eagle. I love the blue mountain but the music is too loud and clearly for the staff - some nice jazz would have done, or something more modern but mellow - no one needs 'drum n bass' on a saturday morning hungover breakfast.
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

I agree - I asked them to turn it down or change it once and all I got was icy stares, which is why all my coffee/sandwich/breakfast needs are now catered for by the friendly staff of Sugahill.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Yes I asked them once at 10 am Sunday when I was the only client. They look totally amazed when I kindly asked them if they would turn it down.
Now use Sugarhill , lady there really friendly. Pity often not open Sundays.
Must try Kente.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Does anyone know if Kente open Sunday morning please?
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

sydenhamboy wrote: no one needs 'drum n bass' on a saturday morning hungover breakfast.
I don't think anyone ever needs 'Drum 'n' Bass' (sic) ever!
poulet

Post by poulet »

Eagle wrote:Does anyone know if Kente open Sunday morning please?
It was definitely open last Sunday
Barty

Post by Barty »

bensonby wrote:
sydenhamboy wrote: no one needs 'drum n bass' on a saturday morning hungover breakfast.
I don't think anyone ever needs 'Drum 'n' Bass' (sic) ever!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
BENSONBY!!!!!!!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm off to find my iPod.....now where's that Pendulum album I downloaded...