Newlands Park development?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
fuzzy logic

Newlands Park development?

Post by fuzzy logic »

Hi !

Does anybody know what's going on opposite ladbrokes at the top of Newlands Park ? There seems to be a bit of demoltion going on. Also the shop 'hempire' that closed down has one of those yellow Lewisham council notices on it. Maybe the 2 are linked as the back of the shop would back onto the newlands park .. well sort of ?!

ALSO !! Whilst I am on a 'Newlands' theme .... Does it annoy you the speed people drive down there ? Yet again my wing mirror has been knocked off whilst being parked. I not saying get speed bumps but a few speed camera would hopefully do the trick.
Matt_G

Post by Matt_G »

Hi there,

I was wondering about both these things too - The place opposite Ladbrookes isnt being developed upon at the moment although they are extending / renovating the flat above the shop on the corner.
The guy in the shop told me that they "may try to do something with it later on" (Hurray - the scruffy junk shop has gone!)

As for the Hempire (another shop which I'm not mourning the loss of to be honest) the yellow notice proposes the conversion of 28A (presumably the bit above the shop) to type 'A3' which I believe is bar / eat in food place / pub etc. It also mentions the addition of an extractor at the back.

I guess its a case of 'watch this space'.
annabel mclaren

Post by annabel mclaren »

The shop formerly known as 'the Hempire' has been refused planning permission to convert to a restaurant - and I've noticed a 'to let' sign above their door... I just hope we don't get another pound shop! The installation of the extractor fan was part of their plan to become a restaurant.
Matt_G

Post by Matt_G »

Hmmm. I cant help thinking that Sydenham (or Lewisham) has shot itself in the foot. Again.

The council is happy to have pound shops, pawnbrokers and empty shops but wont allow someone to create a restaurant that could be exactly what the area needs. Am I missing sometihng?

Of course I may have been getting carried away - it was probably going to be another burger take away or kebab shop...
fuzzy logic

Post by fuzzy logic »

Nightmare !

That would of been great .. a restaurant/bar.

I was only saying last night if the high st gwas to get 2 half decent restaurants you could see Sydenham defintely going places within 5 years.Just in time for the tube. You can see they are doing up the building by the station to turn into flats.People are going want to move here even more so if we can draw them in.