Your website

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
barbarajbuchanan

Your website

Post by barbarajbuchanan »

Hi

Just like to say that I stumbled on this website by accident and I think it's brilliant.

I've lived in Sydenham for years but have very little idea about what's going on in terms of the council, planning etc as I don't have access to the local newspapers.

This really fills a gap.

I'm interested in supporting any campaign for a cinema to be opened in this area as I think its crazy we don't have one and I'm not that keen on Beckenham's Odeon.

I also think the roadworks around Cobbs Corner have been extremely poorly handled so I'm glad someone is kicking up a fuss about it.

Regards
Barbara Buchanan
Freelance Journalist :D
danstevens

Post by danstevens »

agree! Many community web sites are dull and out of date - not this one!
back_ache

Post by back_ache »

what kind of cinema are you looking for?

There is a cinema club in west norwood which is not far from here, that shows less mainstream films, we also have the ritzy in brixton which has bags of character, indie films and great carrot cake.

Given that within a short distance we have off-beat, character and mainstream films, what would you visualise your cinema showing?

PS I like the idea of a local meeting place not based around booze but they have to make money to survive!
back_ache

Post by back_ache »

this artical explains the problems local cinemas have more elequentlent than I ever could

http://money.msn.co.uk/investing/Insigh ... efault.asp
back_ache

Post by back_ache »

The cinema club in West Norwood is http://www.filmonthursday.org/ it looks like great fun.
annabel mclaren

Post by annabel mclaren »

The Broadway Theatre in Catford (next to the town hall) has a great programme of indie and offbeat films - all for a fiver! Go to: www.broadwaytheatre.org.uk; you can park for free in the car park behind Laurence House in the evening - or catch the bus. It's a really good venue. And if you want to find out more about what's going on locally, the Sydenham Society is a good place to start; details of events etc at www.sydenham.com
Matt_G

Post by Matt_G »

I think Annabel means www.sydenhamsociety.com :D