SYDMOB: consumer power improving Sydenham

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
sydmob

SYDMOB: consumer power improving Sydenham

Post by sydmob »

I came across something called 'carrot-mob' in San Francisco. They use it to "make the most socially-responsible business practices also the most profitable choices". Businesses in the area compete with one another to see who commits the higher % of their sales to do these improvements. The winner gets the carrot-mob supporters doing their shopping at an agreed time.

Many of us like Kente (and other businesses in the high street), want to see them do well and improve a few things (like their signage). The best support they can get from us is our trade, so why not use the carrot-mob idea to do a similar thing for everyone's benefit in Sydenham? I propose to call it SYDMOB.

What if over a period of maybe 4 weekends (every Sunday morning for example) Sydenham makes a commitment to generate extra trade for Kente?. We all go there and get a coffee and/or a bite to eat, maybe have it as a take-away if it gets too busy. In exchange, they set a side a % of the sales to improve the business. I think this should include to be to be as environmentally friendly as possible when improving the shop-front by using FSC wood, low VOC (volatile organic compounds) paint etc. - Farrow & Ball are now doing environmentally friendly paints in the type of colours Lee is suggesting in his 'what if'-. At the same time, Kente could have a 'help us change our sign' tips bowl if anyone is feeling extra-generous.

I think this approach would let us help more bussinesses in the area and even go beyond a "pretty face" to do a bit for the environment. How to help new businesses to get things like their sign right from the start will need a different approach, maybe a group of professionals in the area willing to provide their services at affordable fees or subsidized by the council?

What does Sydenham think? anyone up for it?

More about the carrot mob here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUz0kM1u_jk
(if I were you I'd fast foward the rap between minutes 2:10 and 3:05)

http://carrotmob.org/about/

P.S I've used Kente as as example as he's already showed interest in the what if proposal.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

This is a brilliant idea.
scott.l.hamilton

Post by scott.l.hamilton »

I'm in.... why not have a goal meter for these initiatives? We can have the proposed changes costed and have a "thermometer" showing the contribution towards the goal. Once reached you can then have a countdown until completion and a "Nip/Tuck" party when all finished.

Our voice can only changes so uch, but our patronage can change so much more...
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

To those who are reading this, who fancies a coffee in Kente to have a chat about this and other ideas on the high street. Sydmob is up for it.

Just an informal tea/coffee in a local business.

Any other local traders want to come along? Share some knowledge, have a chat, air your views and get to put a face to the name.

Lambchops? Parker? Poppy? AliB? Coll? Sydenhamboy? Eagle? Etc etc...

If it feels like a positive meeting then perhaps we can repeat it somewhere else next time.

Say saturday at 10.30am @ Kente?
sydmob

Post by sydmob »

I think the use of the "thermometer" is a very good idea Scott. We definitely need to cost things first and see if Sydenham and Kente are interested in a sydmob!

I've created an acount on twitter, so if anyone wants to follow up 'sydmob' there for quick and short updates please feel free to do so!

Hope to see the first supporters this Saturday! it's time to stop moaning and do something positive!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Sydmob,

You could also make yourself known at tonight's Sydenham Assembly and promote saturday @10:30. Is that a definate date? If so, I'll try and be there if that's OK.

Admin
sydmob

Post by sydmob »

Hi Admin, I'll try to make it to the Sydenham Assembly tonight, it's a good suggestion. Hopefully there will be a chance to share this with everyone.

See you on Saturday, the more the merrier!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Sydmob and I tried to make the ass-embly last night but found it to be locked up and empty at 8.15pm.

Look like latecomers were not invited.
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Well, we all left after 9pm and the doors were kept open. There were lots of people (!) coming and going....

Maybe you went to the Junior school (no. 15) instead of the Senior school (no. 19)?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Was it not the high school on the junction with Lawrie park road?

We weren't the only people looking lost!
carrotmobuk

Post by carrotmobuk »

Hi, I'm a co-founder of CarrotMobUK - we organised the London CarrotMobs a few months ago. Great to see you're interested in the CarrotMob concept!

We're actually working on improving the idea a little, by making it possible for people to make purchases at any time. We have a system for tracking purchases so the business is only committing a % of the extra business. We have a site in development at http://9carrots.org - feel free to sign up to the email list if you'd like to be kept updated.

We're currently focussing on businesses nearer the centre of London, but there's no reason not too bring this to Sydenham too! :)
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Brilliant, me and Sydmob will hopefully meet up with you soon.

Regards

Lee