New Zebra Crossing on Railway Bridge

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Muddy Waters

Post by Muddy Waters »

Time the subject of the zebra crossing got bumped up the list of subjects under discussion. It is over one month since anyone posted anything on this site, but it has had nearly 7000 visits.

Do Sydenham residents feel more confident using the crossing? It has been open for 6 weeks, now.

I note there are marks on the pavement indicating that a lamp post may well be on the move - presumably to improve sight lines for traffic coming up the hill
stuart

Post by stuart »

Muddy Waters wrote:Do Sydenham residents feel more confident using the crossing? It has been open for 6 weeks, now.
In a High Street where strangers don't usually speak to each other - I have been surprised on several occasions to be reminded to be careful as I cross that zebra.

I don't think it is because they read this Forum. More likely that when something is obviously dangerous thay take more care (of themselves and others).

There is a theory called the 'Adams Effect' whereby if you make things look dangerous, they compensate and the result is it paradoxically ends up safer. I think that is what is happening here.

As long as the drunk leaving the station late on a wet night doesn't forget the danger...
back_ache

Post by back_ache »

I am a motorist, a pedestrian, a sydenham rush-hour commuter and before the crossing, a jay walker and I'm going to chuck my halfpenth in

A crossing was needed as commuter from the north-west of the station is will tell you, the visabilty of it is awful though.

One problem is pedestrians have forgetten how to use a zebra crossing, unless you are 100 perecnt sure you can cross slowly before a car arrives you should wait for the traffic to stop both ways, then cross.
toppo

Zebra crossing

Post by toppo »

At approx 10.45pm on Thursday 17th of February someone has been run over on the zebra crossing - probably fatal by the amount of police / ambulance and delays to traffic.

It was so obviously going to happen. But who will be responsible ... apart from the driver ?

Steve
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for the posting - as a result I attended the scene. I am glad to report that the incident although serious does not appear to be life threatening. I am writing a report which will shortly appear on the frontpage;

http://www.sydenham.org.uk
toppo

Post by toppo »

Thanks ... glad to hear it. I am a driver, just moved here from Beckenham 5 months back, and I've watched with disbelief the contortions & modifications that project has gone through ... on what anyone with an ounce (sorry ... point 158 kilograms) of driving experience or even common sense would have known was THE WRONG SITE for a zebra crossing.

Steve
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This very long thread is now closed. Please post to this new thread:
http://forum.sydenham.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=130