We asked, so we should now support

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Sowden

We asked, so we should now support

Post by Sowden »

Hi all,

Just wanted to give a big shout out to Kente Cafe. It is a fantastic little place with good food and nice atmosphere. Just the thing that everyone is contantly saying we need in Sydders.

Well, I was there on Saturday and have to say that it was disappointinly quiet, this isn't the first time either. I think the proprietor is great and it would be a huge shame if he and his cafe disappeared from our high street. I have nothing against Blue Mountain, but Kente's food and drink are of at least an equal level of quality, yet BMC always seems to be teeming on weekends.

Come on, let's spread the love.
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

where is it#?
poppy

Post by poppy »

I have been in and liked it a lot. But I do think it needs more 'kerb appeal' to use Kirsty and Phil's rather annoying lingo to get punters in.

1. Some pots outside (I know it might cost a hundred pounds or so, but I think it would be so worth it!) It would make it stand out. You really could miss the place easily.

2. An A-board or something outside advertising the fact it has a garden/outside seating area. Would do wonders. The sooner the better too, to make the most of the last of the summer, early autumn.

I think it has better seating outside than BM too, more comfortable and certainly less rickety looking which makes BM a difficult with young children.

BM did a lot of high quality flyering too, when they opened to make people aware of it.
blue&whitewizard1991

Post by blue&whitewizard1991 »

I'm a regular user of Kente on weekends, and I must say as someone living in a flat without any open space, their courtyard has been my salvation throughout the summer. The coffees are good and VFM, I sometimes think there sandwich range could be a bit more adventurous but generally it is good as well.

I would concur though that the kerb appeal is inferior to that of BM and i'd love to see the interior given a bit more investment it looks a little plain.

Post by Newbie »

Kente, is one of the few places apart from SugarHill that serves soya milk for coffees etc ...really lovely to have this as I'm completely allergic to milk! The staff are friendly but it would be good if they could vary their food.
The outside space is lovely, nice to be away from the main road!

I agree, plant boxes (bay trees etc) outside would be a good idea to create a barrier from the main road and set it apart from the other cafes on the street.....Homebase has a 15% sale this week!! :D
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I've just had yet another really good coffee at Kente - it's proving to be an excellent addition the high street. The interior design might not be to everyone's taste but it is still head and shoulders above 95% of the rest of the high street, and with a few tweaks it could be even better. So many congratulations to the owners and let's hope it continues its success.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

There are improvements in the pipeline at Kente but with all things running a business takes up a lot of time.

A lot of companies spend a lot of money paying for feedback. I know Kente reads the forum so any feedback is invaluable, but it's worth talking to them instore too.

Obviously there is the sign, the greening of the outside courtyard and usage of the space downstairs (I'm in favour of sofas and low tables with board games/newspapers like a place I used to go to in Brockley which was great).

Some of the more enlightened places in Sydenham have used these forums to good effect to help develop their business. Sugahill are another good example although the way the Honor Oak used the se23 site sets the standard.

It's worth mentioning this forum to businesses in Sydenham. Word of mouth can help and this forum is a great local asset.
kente

Post by kente »

Many thanks for your support and suggestions. We do have things in the pipeline as lee mentioned and hope to soon have them in place.
sophie

Post by sophie »

I love going to Kente and now go between Sugahill and them as I like the atmosphere in both of those places and despite being coffee shops I think they offer (to me at least) very different things. Kente has the outside space and Sugahill have poached eggs on toast!!!

I looked at Kente while it was still boarded up a couple of years ago now I think and had thought about upstairs being coffee shop and downstairs being something. Did think about treatment rooms for massage, beauty stuff etc Now there is the place across the road perhaps this wouldn't work but it would have been lovely I think. Hiring out the space would generate an income for the coffee shop with the people hiring the room being responsible for getting their business running.
BingBong

Post by BingBong »

Yup - another Kente fan here. I popped in for a coffee & croissant yesterday morning while waiting for the bank to open. Great coffee, croissant OK (almond - I prefer the almond goo inside to the almond flakes on top variety, but that's just a personal choice). They'd cleverly done a grab on a few Metro newspapers - presumably from Sydenham Station - so there's something to read, plus a Guardian & Daily Mail for those who like an opinionated view of the news. Sweet and attentive staff - the place definitely has mileage, provided enough locals 'get it' and use it.
sean

Post by sean »

While on Sydenham high street today I called into Kente for refreshments. Yet another nice experience. Airly room, clean and bright. Little crispy salad in a warm bun and a nice cup of tea all went down a treat - amazingly all for less than £4!!!

Will certainly pay another visit.