Oyster

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
fishcox

Oyster

Post by fishcox »

I tried to renew my monthly Oyster at Sydenham this morning, only to be told 'we don't do Oyster'.

Welcome to a new era for Sydenham station, with TfL firmly in control.

I actually had to buy a single to London Bridge, and renew my card there!
stuart

Post by stuart »

I caught the 8.30 am train yesterday. Not a member of staff to be seen anywhere. We were promised by TfL the station would be manned at all operating times at last week's meeting. Looks like multiple teething problems, hope they get recognised and fixed quick.

Oh and the Southern debranding still had not been debranded when I got back ... any change today?

Stuart
Chazza

Re: Oyster

Post by Chazza »

fishcox wrote:I tried to renew my monthly Oyster at Sydenham this morning, only to be told 'we don't do Oyster'.
Crazily enough, there's a newsagents opposite the station which will happily top up your Oyster card!
Blushingsnail

Post by Blushingsnail »

There are several places on Sydenham Road where you can renew or top-up Oyster cards. Check the TfL website for an interactive map of Oyster Ticket Stops: http://ticketstoplocator.tfl.gov.uk/LocationLocator/

Edited to add: It would be nice if the (Oyster-less) stations had a poster up listing the nearest Oyster Ticket Stops. Southern never did, perhaps we could persuade TfL that it would be a good idea?
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

The ticket office was firmly shut at 10.30am this morning. No sign of debranding at any stations along the line.

It will be very interesting to see if the station is staffed after 8pm this evening. I'll take a check.

Let's hope that TfL don't prove to be as unreliable as Southern. It certainly looks that way so far.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

what benefit will Oyster bring once it's enabled at Sydenham? the fares aren't cheaper or anything are they?
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

bensonby wrote:what benefit will Oyster bring once it's enabled at Sydenham? the fares aren't cheaper or anything are they?
It depends what you mean by enabling Oyster. It is already 'enabled' for people with a Travelcard on their Oyster card.

If you mean being able to top up or buy a Travelcard on an Oyster card at the station itself, it will simply mean we have one more place where we can do so.

But if you mean being able to use Pay As You Go, that will:
(a) make journeys easier - those with Travelcards on their Oyster will no longer need to buy a paper extension if they're travelling outside the zones covered by their Travelcard (unless they are travelling outside the Oyster PAYG area)
(b) reduce queuing - passengers can pass through ticket gates more quickly with Oyster than paper tickets
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

fair enough.

Stuart, the station was only handed over today wasn't it?
stuart

Post by stuart »

2am Sunday morning (20th) I understood. National Rail still have ownership, TfL management authority and LOROL do (or don't do) the work ...

Stuart
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

bensonby wrote:what benefit will Oyster bring once it's enabled at Sydenham? the fares aren't cheaper or anything are they?
I don't have a travel card, as I cycle to work. Having Oyster PAYG at Sydenham station will mean that I can just swipe through the barriers and pay my fare using the credit on my Oyster, rather than having to queue and buy a paper ticket.

Oyster price capping also means that a day travel card will be 50p less than a paper ticket. Not exactly a huge discount but it will add up over the year.

It will also be easier for friends who have zone 1-2 travel cards to visit; instead of having to buy a paper extension, it will be deducted from their Oyster credit automatically when they swipe out at Sydenham.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

The new gates on the up platform have been installed now. There is one wide gate and one normal size gate.

Although they were left open this morning, I think they will be in operation very soon.
Willy

Post by Willy »

What a waste of time the oyster gates are! They are either left open most of the time or one of the staff stands next to the wide gate constantly swiping his card on it to let people through, isn't the point to get people to pay their fare?
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Willy wrote:What a waste of time the oyster gates are! They are either left open most of the time or one of the staff stands next to the wide gate constantly swiping his card on it to let people through, isn't the point to get people to pay their fare?
I agree that they are a waste of time.....however, some of us need swiping through!
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Thought this was worth bumping, as I tried to renew my Oyster again this morning, but they still cant do this at Sydenham station.

'Some time next year' was the response to my question of 'When?'

Ho hum
Search East

Not long to go!

Post by Search East »

fishcox wrote:Thought this was worth bumping, as I tried to renew my Oyster again this morning, but they still cant do this at Sydenham station.

'Some time next year' was the response to my question of 'When?'

Ho hum
Stay calm fishcox, Oyster PAYG and renewing/activating monthly cards will be happening at Sydenham on Saturday 2nd Jan. :D (About ruddy time!)
More info here: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/oysteronline/5823.aspx
Pumpkin

confused

Post by Pumpkin »

am really confused.

bought an annual rail and travelcard today and was given a paper ticket. man said they dont do oyster. it just seems crazy that i have to use a paper ticket for a whole year, esp as i use the tube and bus, an the barriers have the oyster fuctions!!!

...on a separate note, the staff really need to pay attention to customer...man in the ticket office made mistakes by issuing the incorrect ticket (Twice!!!!!) causing a giant queue and annoyed with me!! Plus had the gaul to blame me for his mistakes!! (not good before 8am)
bensonby

Re: confused

Post by bensonby »

Pumpkin wrote:am really confused.

bought an annual rail and travelcard today and was given a paper ticket. man said they dont do oyster. it just seems crazy that i have to use a paper ticket for a whole year, esp as i use the tube and bus, an the barriers have the oyster fuctions!!!

...on a separate note, the staff really need to pay attention to customer...man in the ticket office made mistakes by issuing the incorrect ticket (Twice!!!!!) causing a giant queue and annoyed with me!! Plus had the gaul to blame me for his mistakes!! (not good before 8am)
The moral of the story is not to purchase season tickets during rush hour on a weekday!

I'd have been annoyed at you too..... When I used to buy season tickets I used to go on the saturday or sunday afternoon before I needed it or bought it on the internet.
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

To be fair Bensonby, we don't really know Pumpkin's situation. I agree it might not be the best time to renew a season ticket but there may be many reasons as to why Pumpkin chose to renew their ticket this way and at this time. I also tried to stagger the times I renewed mine down the years and plumped for weekends. You have the problem of the queue still building up on the weekend as there is only ever one window open. A bit damned if you do...

I must ask though Pumpkin why you didn't renew it at London Bridge or wait until Sydders 'goes Oyster' early in Jan?

As for bad attitudes, on Weds of last week I had another run-in with the male person who mans the barriers at the ticket office. The short one. I was loaded down and every hand was in use [I had the ticket in my teeth!] plus large suitcases etc. He started to tell me to put my ticket through the wide-access barrier...I had to demand he open the barrier by swiping at his end! I will go on record that he only ever seems to want to help fat, middle-aged black women. You should see the vulgar flirting he gets up to. He seems to think work is a place for frottaging...

Stuff everyone else seems to be his motto.
FHSoc

Post by FHSoc »

After a year of lobbying, we have just been informed by TfL that passengers can now purchase a Monthly ticket on Oyster directly from the ticket office or Ticket Vending Machines at the London Overground stations on the Sydenham line.

However, if a passenger requires an Annual season ticket on Oyster, they can request it from the station but it would have to be collected the following day (or later). TfL apologise if staff have been advising passengers to travel to another station as this is not the case. LOROL has confirmed that the staff have been re-briefed them so this should not happen again.
GLOBAL THINKER

Post by GLOBAL THINKER »

I will go on record that he only ever seems to want to help fat, middle-aged black women.
I will go on record to say the casual racism on these forums never ceases to amaze me, I have used Sydenham station every day for probaby 10 years and the number of middle aged women black or white have been generally in proportion with the general population.

It seems any post always manages to degenerate into racist, mysogonistic rantings. I used to look at this forum for informative info, sadly after weeks away I check in to see the usual rubbish.

Bloody disgraceful

Admin where are you