Safeways/Somerfields

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham

Safeways/Somerfields

Post by Guest »

Re the Safeway report on the Sydenham Town website.

Having previously worked for Safeway for 28 years it saddens me to see the way it is disappearing. I am sure however that Morrissons are only finishing the decline started by the Argyll Group when they took over from the American parent company in the 90's

They attempted to do whay all accountants do and wring every last penny profit without putting in sufficient investment to keep it the Rolls Royce of supermarkets

Post by Guest »

I have noticed that since Morrisons have taken over safeways the prices have increased. I think this unfair for the elderly people of sydenham who cannot get to the large savacentre at bell green. I do not know how they advertise as being cheaper they are one of the dearest supermarkets. I know they do their special deals but they more than make up for it with the prices on their other products.

Mrs R B
Paddy Pantsdown

Post by Paddy Pantsdown »

Yes I agree with you. They have just put up French Sticks to 58p. Safeways used to do 2 for 45p.

Lower prices Mr Morrison?

No petrol coupons, lower quality fruit & veg and I notice a lot of staff have disappeared. This takeover is a disaster. Much more of this and people will stop shopping and Sydenham wil lose a vital store.

I hear that Morrisons are having trouble managing Safeways and are trying to sell the smaller stores like ours. I wonder if Tesco could do a better job?
Muddy Waters

Post by Muddy Waters »

WATCH OUT!

Today's Telegraph reports that "Wm Morrisons is understood to be in advanced talks talks to sell 120 stores to Somerfield in a deal worth between £240m and £250m "

What goes round CAN come round and Somerfield sold out of Sydenham before
Paddy Pantsdown

Post by Paddy Pantsdown »

OH NO! Pity there is no such thing as 'Waitrose Express'.

Does Somerfield have a quarter billion?
Muddy Waters

safeways

Post by Muddy Waters »

My posting of 18 October would appear to have brought early news of the possible Safeways switch from Morrisons to Somerfield.

According to the Home page of Sydenham Town this is now confirmed.

Interesting article, Admin, wonder what others think :?:
annabel mclaren

Safeways

Post by annabel mclaren »

Somerfields can hardly be worse than Morrisons - from their website they look very encouraging, with Good Food awards and lots on 'working with the community'. Fingers crossed! Plus a refurb for the store will be a great boost to Sydenham.
Muddy Waters

Post by Muddy Waters »

Okay, Annabel - anyone else want to join this discussion ---please?

I'm sure there's lots of folk out there that could add to the discussion - Safeways, Cobbs Corner, Zebra crossing , East London Line Exension- let' s get a local residents "point of view"about what is happening and the hope for the future, starting now!!!!!
Sandie

Post by Sandie »

I used to live in E Dulwich and Somerfields was not really a consideration when shopping,it appeared dowdy and not fresh, but over the last few years it seems to have pulled it socks up, possibly trying to keep up with the pace the sole traders in Lordship Lane have set. So it would appear that their management may look into the competition. This forum should help residents achieve what they want from their local store if presented to Somerfields. After all Somerfields were here once and could have learnt from past mistakes. :!:
ju_thu

Safeways

Post by ju_thu »

:( Am very sad to hear about Safeways/Morrisons becoming Somerfield (learnt about it via the Sydenham Society). I agree with what others have said about the prices in the store currently. Also have to say that some of the items I used to buy when it was Safeways only have disappeared. Will Somerfield make a 'go' of a store on this site? What happens if they don't?

I've lived in Sydenham five and a half years, and have felt that the area was on the 'up'. The prospect of two 'cheap' stores - Lidl and Somerfield - doesn't gladden the heart. What we need is a small, classy supermarket.
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

Somerfield seems to have two styles of store - 'standard' (the one in Tulse Hill was like this last time I looked) and 'posh' (see the one in East Dulwich, called 'Market Fresh' or somesuch).

I think it will be a be an interesting sign of Sydenham's status to see which type we end up with. :? Anyone care to speculate..?
GLOBAL THINKER

Post by GLOBAL THINKER »

Further to Sandies posting of 29th Oct - I agree that the East Dulwich Somerfield is a great addition to Lordship Lane. It looks smart and sophisticated. I think with the decline of Sainsbury's, Somerfields can make some real inroads into Sydenham if they do it properly. Starting with the outside of the shop - if they make it the same facade as east dulwich it will look pretty nifty. I for one will shop there if the service is good and prices are reasonable. Sainsburys seems to be getting a lot more expensive and a lot less customer orientated.
danny1973

Post by danny1973 »

Lets hope it's the 'fresh' type of somerfield which would look cracking on the high st and be a worthy addition.
If however it is one of the other types (the older style) I think you're right ...... it will sum up the intentions of Sydenham High St.

Really disheartening.
GLOBAL THINKER

Post by GLOBAL THINKER »

Is there any way we could ask what their intentions are for the store front?? I can't imagine they would give us a standard one if it was made clear the people of Sydenham would prefer a "Market Fresh" store.

Any ideas??
annabel mclaren

Post by annabel mclaren »

Funny you should mention that Global Thinker - the Sydenham Society have recently deluged Somerfields execs with letters along those lines, together with pix showing the current frontage. We think that with the neighbouring Lidl offering 'value' we need a supermarket that is going to concentrate on 'quality' - and fresh food, which is sadly lacking from the current branch of Morrisons/Safeways. A store in the Market Fresh format, such as the one in Lordship Lane, would be a terrific boost to Sydenham Rd. We've had a reply from one of the top brass - which says they are considering the case for Sydenham, along with the many other branches of the smaller Safeways they've recently bought. Apparently a socio-economic analysis of the local demographic needs to be done! So, we're being watched - and if Somerfields think there is a retail opportunity here then it looks like they might be up for it... fingers crossed! Otherwise it's Penge Sainsburys or Beckhenam Waitrose in future...
stuart

Post by stuart »

News from the tills....

The transformation to the Somerfield format is scheduled for 5th February. Safeways will close on the Saturday and re-open on the Thursday. This will allow for a stocktake, removal of Morrison produce (hooray!), restocking and shopfitting.

No word yet on which format. Apparently Sydenham will be one of the biggest Somerfield stores so lets hope they will try and make it a showpiece!

More information on the Somerfield formats can be found here: http://www.somerfield.co.uk/site/stores ... stores.asp
Muddy Waters

Post by Muddy Waters »

Posted: 3 Dec 2004 19:07 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Stuart

Hope you dont mind but I've copied Annabel's interesting piece of news responding to Global Thinker's comments both of which could get lost on previous page of postings - personally I think that both yours and Annabel's news re Safeways should be read together

"Funny you should mention that Global Thinker - the Sydenham Society have recently deluged Somerfields execs with letters along those lines, together with pix showing the current frontage. We think that with the neighbouring Lidl offering 'value' we need a supermarket that is going to concentrate on 'quality' - and fresh food, which is sadly lacking from the current branch of Morrisons/Safeways. A store in the Market Fresh format, such as the one in Lordship Lane, would be a terrific boost to Sydenham Rd. We've had a reply from one of the top brass - which says they are considering the case for Sydenham, along with the many other branches of the smaller Safeways they've recently bought. Apparently a socio-economic analysis of the local demographic needs to be done! So, we're being watched - and if Somerfields think there is a retail opportunity here then it looks like they might be up for it... fingers crossed! Otherwise it's Penge Sainsburys or Beckhenam Waitrose in future..."

Post by GLOBAL THINKER »

Maybe we should get the top brass at Somerfields to log onto the forum and see what the [u]people[/u] of Sydenham would like rather than looking at statistical analysis. It still brilliant that you guys are in discussions with them about the future of Sydenham High Street, it's positive and pro-active and it's nice to know that people actually care about the environment we live in

Post by Guest »

A comment all the way from Aberdeenshire!!

I was most interested in your item regarding the Sydenham Safeway, and thought I'd share our experiences from North East Scotland. Like you, all our excellent smaller Safeway stores became "Safeway Compacts" under Morrisons at the take-over, and this was the start of a period of total and disgraceful neglect by Morrisons, who reduced stock lines, raised prices on all but their bland and boring "own brand" offerings, removed fuel discounts, and turned the shops into untidy, uncared-for places, which the customers deserted in droves.

Thankfully Morrisons decided to rid themselves of these store to Somerfield. I have to say the transformation by Somerfield has been instant - a return to quality product lines, fresh tidy and clean stores, and happy staff again, and the customers are liking it and returning! There's a promise of more to come too, as stores are refurbished during 2005.

The Morrisons saga has really been a disgrace by the company, and their image has suffered hugely in Scotland, where they are seen as mean, grasping, uncaring, and rather dim Northern Englanders!

Jim Ferguson
Matt_G

tell Somerfield what you want

Post by Matt_G »

Hi everyone,

I have just joined, but have been reading the site for a while.

Perhaps anyone who feels strongly about getting a market fresh store (as I do) should use this link to tell Somerfield what they want. I'm fed up with having to drive to Waitrose in Beckenham !!

http://www.somerfield.co.uk/site/contac ... /index.asp

cheers
Matt