Road *!@!! works!

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
lbere

Re: Road *!@!! works!

Post by lbere »

SGN,
I was nearly knocked down by a bus this morning as your traffic management at Kent House Road/Sydenham is so bad.

The traffic on Sydenham High Street in both directions are gridlocked as they have been for the last two weeks at least, causing the junction with Kent House Road to be blocked.

This morning I was crossing from The Prince Alfred towards Sydenham High Street, I turned my head to the right to check for traffic coming from Sydenham High Street into Kent House Road which was clear, only to find when I turned by head forward a BUS coming towards me, on the wrong side of Kent House Road, ie the side that traffic should turn into from Sydenham High Street.

My next phone call is to the bus station.
Willy

Post by Willy »

They have also successfully managed to cause a jam on Newlands Park all the way from Penge East station. Luckily I walk to the station but this is the worst traffic I've seen in my 4 years of living in Sydenham.

I'd also like to know when this work is going to be completed, it seems to me that it's being going on for 3 years or so - longer than it took to extend the East London line!
lbere

Post by lbere »

The bus garage could not help as I did not get the bus number so they could not confirm if the bus came from their garage, how silly is that.

Lets just wait for some one to get knocked down and then maybe action will be taken, sadly too late
griffiths

Post by griffiths »

Its not silly at all. With approx 7500 buses operating in London how are the bus Co. expected to know if the vehicle is one of theirs if you don't give them the number. Taking down a vehicle reg. no. is a basic function of anyone witnessing an incident on the roads.
lbere

Post by lbere »

Well I am just so sorry for wasting the bus garages time. Oh my, maybe, just maybe that the sheer fright of nearly getting knocked down, whilst I was in the right and the bus was on totally the wrong side of the road, caused me to forget to take the bus number, how silly was I?

Oh well, just lets wait until someone gets knocked down and then we can all be up in arms.
Monica

Post by Monica »

I got this in response to an email I sent yesterday. Four more weeks, apparently.

Thank you for your e-mail dated 29/09/10 , I am sorry to learn that you have had cause to complain regarding our gas essential gas replacement works in Sydenham Road & Perry Vale.

These projects are part of SGN’s ongoing mains replacement programme agreed with the Health & Safety Executive and will ensure the safe and continuous supply of gas to homes and businesses for many years to come.

I shall have my supervisor for the projects supply the information to our communications department to have the web sites updated.

Sydenham Road has approx 4 weeks of further works until completion, this project has been planned to be complete before Lewisham Council complete there refurbisment works in Sydenham Road. Meetings were held with local traders and letters and leaflets were distributed to local residents.

Perry Vale has approx 3 weeks of further works.

If you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact my supervisor Gareth Lewis on 07887825440
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I hope they are better at digging and filling holes than they are at composing emails.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Southern Gas Networks

Post by Southern Gas Networks »

UPDATE: 30 September

We have now decommissioned all the cast iron mains between Sydenham Road's junctions with Kent House Road and Bell Green. This was done ahead of schedule due to the need to repair a leaking main at the junction with Elderton Road. We have decommissioned the main between Kent House Road and Mayow Road and will begin the insertion process next week. All being well, we will commission the new main and to start returning our workareas at Kent House Road and Mayow Road back to normal in the week commencing 11 October, after which we will remove the temporary traffic management from these junctions. The only work remaining then will be to connect the new main at the junction with Bell Green.

We estimate project completion by the end of October.
Southern Gas Networks

UPDATE: 22 October 2010

The connections at Sydenham Road's junctions with Kent House Road and Mayow Road have now been completed and we are currently in the process of reinstating these areas. We expect to be in a position to remove the temporary lights at both locations by Wednesday (27 October). The final connection (at the junction with Bell Green) will be carried out on Wednesday and we expect to complete reinstatement of this area in time for the morning rush hour on Monday, 1 November.
Wing

Post by Wing »

The eastbound side of the roundabout at the summit of Sydenham Hill (by the Astra Hotel) is closed since this morning. A temp traffic light is in place and it is causing long queues at the moment (not to mention office rush hour this evening) from 3 directions - Westwood Hill, Crystal Palace Parade and Sydenham Hill.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

On the plus side, the temporary lights at the end of Mayow Road have gone. Don't know about Kent House Road - if those have gone too I shall be jumping for joy!
Murphistophiles

Post by Murphistophiles »

rshdunlop wrote:On the plus side, the temporary lights at the end of Mayow Road have gone. Don't know about Kent House Road - if those have gone too I shall be jumping for joy!
........So will we who live in Hillmore Grove and Knighton Park Road :D
Wing

Post by Wing »

Re my earlier post the good news is the temporary light had been removed just before the office rush hour.
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

Thought Boris Johnson was going to sort out all these road works, (especially when no one was actually there working) or is this just another typical example of his lies and waffle!
simon

Post by simon »

Temporary traffic lights at Kent House/ Sydenham Road junction now gone :)
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

That minor earthquake was me jumping for joy, as earlier promised.
sophie

Post by sophie »

"That minor earthquake was me jumping for joy, as earlier promised."

So YOU'RE the one responsible for the mini sink hole that mysteriously appeared on the pavement outside my house the other day!!!!

I think it's about time they dig up Kirkdale roundabout again, after all it must have been a couple of years since the last time .... :twisted:
LivesNearby

Post by LivesNearby »

Looks like there must be a worldwide curse on Sydenham...
Southern Gas Networks

UPDATE: 8 November 2010

Our engineering work was completed on Friday, 29 October and we have since reinstated an excavation at the junction with Bell Green. This morning we began reinstating at the junction with Berrymans Lane, in the footway. This will take two days, so by Wednesday, 10 November the site will be entirely clear and the project complete.
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

good lord you mean it's actually over?