Serious threat to Sydenham Road improvements

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham

Overall what is your view on Lewisham's Sydenham Road plan

Support
96%
Oppose
4%
Undecided
No votes

Total votes: 45

Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

To remind everyone - the exhibition is open tonight and tomorrow, Friday, from 5 - 8 pm and on Saturday it is open from 11 am - 3 pm.

Next week's (week beginning 19 October) opening times have just been announced:

Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday from 5 - 8 pm and Saturday 17 October from 11am - 3 pm

Every opportunity is being given to local residents to visit this exhibition and we need to encourage everyone to take advantage to go along and see for themselves.
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Dont forget to sign the petition supporting these proposals at:

http://www.petitiononline.com/sydroad/
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

Ulysses wrote:
Chazza wrote:Does anyone think it's worth leafleting the area to let non-forum users know about the new petition and making them aware of the threat posed by the No10 petition?
Great idea Chazza. I would be willing, again, to put in some miles in this regard. If it meant knocking on neighbours doors also to drum up support then if needed, it wouldn't be a problem.
Ulysses, thanks for offering to help out. I have also had a couple of other offers of help with printing and leafleting. If you could please PM me your email address, I'll make arrangements to get the ball rolling on this ASAP.
Annie

Post by Annie »

(quote)Whatever I can do to help combat the fairly militant, almost Daily Mail-esque tactics of the other lot just let me know. If it means going door-to-door I will do it.

Although I shall be playing with a straight bat and the truth of, as you say, missing out on the High St. regeneration shall be the compunction to sign![/quote]

Erm-Objection! I read the Daily Mail, and have also signed the petition in favour of the proposed developement of Sydenham High Street!
so what doe's that make me? I know common sense when i see it. :wink:
sean

Post by sean »

I remember being approached by a gentleman while in Chef's Delight back a few months ago asking for people to sign his petition because the council were going to "close sydenham high street to cars". A lot of people in the cafe signed without reading it. I didn't.

A few weeks later I was approached by him again - he has holding a load of papers with signatures and this time asked me to sign to stop the council from "putting a load of humps up and down the street".

I question whether those on the list knew what they were signing. I could see a lot were signing it just because they wanted him to leave and carry on with their dinner. He was later thrown out of Chef's Delight.
sean

Post by sean »

I have offered my help to Sydenham Radio and am happy to produce a balanced programme on this matter in order to broadcast on the radio. I am awaiting a responce.
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Reminder. Exhibition is open this week on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday evenings from 5 - 8 pm and on Saturday 24 October from 11 am till 3 pm and meanwhile dont forget to sign the petition

Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

Annie wrote:(quote)Whatever I can do to help combat the fairly militant, almost Daily Mail-esque tactics of the other lot just let me know. If it means going door-to-door I will do it.

Although I shall be playing with a straight bat and the truth of, as you say, missing out on the High St. regeneration shall be the compunction to sign!
Erm-Objection! I read the Daily Mail, and have also signed the petition in favour of the proposed developement of Sydenham High Street!
so what doe's that make me? I know common sense when i see it. :wink:[/quote]

Sorry Annie.

I meant nothing personal, of course, although you seem to have taken the barb well. A Daily Mail reader who doesn't allow themselves to be indoctrinated by the peseudo-Nationalistic rhetoric? I think you something of an anomaly - and a very welcome one at that.

My Mum {should I write Mother?) reads the DM. Fair to say she'd blame the current plight of Sydenham Road bringing the appeal of the whole area down on single Mothers and immigrants, as per the editorial stance of the DM. :cry:

Anyway, I've PM'd you Chazza.
sean

Post by sean »

I will be at the exhibition on Thursday and in the high street recording a news piece about this discuss, the pros and cons, for Sydenham Radio. If you'd like to take part please meet me in the exhibition from 6pm, Thursday.
Annie

Post by Annie »

Thats fine Ulysses, I just wanted to let people know that "we" are not all behind the times :lol:

I can't wait to see the work start on the high street, especially my old bug bear the wobbly roundabout! Bring back the flowers and soon please. :wink:
Jules

Post by Jules »

Well done Chazza for setting up the counter petition.
I've just signed.
SMOKEIT

Post by SMOKEIT »

i went to the exhibition and found it very informative. also very good to see progress on the station approach.
As a suggestion can the exhibition advertise a link to the online petition. not sure how many people use the sydenham town forum...maybe a couple thousand leaflets in letterboxes will get number count to a good level
Columbus

Post by Columbus »

Just got something through the door about this counter petition. Well done whoever put it round. I'd already signed, but now the wife has too.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

I too ventured down the High Street this evening and was very impressed with the displays and the passion and knowledge of the two consultants there. Thanks to Pat who displayed the opening times on here.

I was also pleased to see that they are actively seeking comments on the (currently underwhelming) Station Road proposals in the feedback forms in anticipation of developing this too.
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

To everyone posting on this thread please remember to keep repeating the online petition link for easy reference - thanks

Simpson

Vote to oppose Sydenham Road improvements is not recognised

Post by Simpson »

It is not possible to vote oppose to the road improvemnt scheme (36 for, none against!) on your forum!

I am therefore taking this space to say I oppose; I am fed up with all the road humps - note to Lewisham Council - try the 450 bus from Sydenham to West Croydon!, the traffic jams (surely road widening, not narrowing, is called for) sick of cyclists mounting the pavements to get ahead, bus stops out of use for MONTHS, and as for the Sydenham Festival, please could it be renamed the ROADWORKS FESTIVAL in time for next year, when we will still presumably have plenty of those to make crossing the road a highly dangerous business.
Christhom

Roadworks

Post by Christhom »

I was tempted to post 'road doesnt works '. The situation re the crossing at Mayow Rd/ Sydenham Rd/ Girton Rd is absurd. As a partially sighted individual I am grateful to the council for help offered but on this issue...FAIL !!! How much longer will I have to use either the stupidly timed crossing near the Post Office or risk crossing the road outside The Dolphin ?
I constantly encounter people who claim to be avoiding Sydenham because of the roadworks nightmare.
As for the drunks...I seem to recall drinking bans in Catford and Penge and an area ASBO for the environs of Penge East Station. As a former alcoholic I sympathise but it puts people off.
I have been in Sydenham for 50 of my 52 years and cannot recall the High St looking so shabby.
leenewham

Re: Vote to oppose Sydenham Road improvements is not recogni

Post by leenewham »

[quote="Simpson"]It is not possible to vote oppose to the road improvemnt scheme (36 for, none against!) on your forum!

Well, someone has!

I hope you have decided to oppose this after going to the display in the high street.

You said 'I am therefore taking this space to say I oppose; I am fed up with all the road humps'

• The road 'humps' as you will know from having been to the presentation are very shallow with very gentle slopes to help define the areas where pedestrians can safely cross. With the speed limit in the high street being 30mph this wont cause a problem with the traffic. They are not there to slow traffic to a snails pace.

• The High Street is only one lane in either direction now. It will be the same afterwards. It is being made slightly less wide in SOME areas. Access for Cyclists will be improved. Access for pedestrians will be improved. It will make the area look better. I'm not sure in the logic in opposing that!

You are of course entitled to oppose this scheme, but from your comments it looks as if you haven't gone to the exhibition. Which is a shame.

If this doesn't go ahead now it probably never will. The high street is in a state, it needs help. This is a good first step.
southernmoose

Nice one

Post by southernmoose »

Good work Chazza,

I've just put my name to the petition and send a few emails as you suggested. Such a shame if the proposals get hijacked...
Chazza

Re: Vote to oppose Sydenham Road improvements is not recogni

Post by Chazza »

Simpson wrote:I am fed up with all the road humps
Me too - this scheme doesn't contain any though. There are very shallow inclines (1 in 25) to take the road up to pavement level at pedestrian crossing points. These are nothing like speed bumps.
Simpson wrote:the traffic jams (surely road widening, not narrowing, is called for)
The scheme should improve things here - the road is being narrowed where pedestrians cross, allowing them to clear the road more quickly and get more traffic flowing. The two-lane queues at the Newlands Park junction are being lengthened to improve throughput at this junction.

If you still want to widen the road, how do you propose to do that? Get rid of the pavements? Maybe demolish all the shops?
Simpson wrote:sick of cyclists mounting the pavements to get, bus stops out of use for MONTHS, and as for the Sydenham Festival, please could it be renamed the ROADWORKS FESTIVAL in time for next year, when we will still presumably have plenty of those to make crossing the road a highly dangerous business.
None of those complaints relate to the improvement scheme.

I encourage you to take another look at the plans and to reconsider your position on this matter.