Serious threat to Sydenham Road improvements

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham

Overall what is your view on Lewisham's Sydenham Road plan

Support
96%
Oppose
4%
Undecided
No votes

Total votes: 45

poppy

Serious threat to Sydenham Road improvements

Post by poppy »

I am posting a link to the petition retrospectively at the top of this post so people can find it easily if they do not have their leaflet to hand or have just heard about the campaign:
http://www.PetitionOnline.com/mod_perl/ ... gi?sydroad

Hello

I just thought I would let you know that one of the council officers at the current exhibition at the old linen shop told me that someone has set up a petition against the improvements because they are worried about the impact on motorists. They currently have 400 signatures on the Number 10 website and it could be enough to stop the current plans going ahead.

Here it is:
http://www.number10.gov.uk/Page19097

I do not know who is behind it but it seems pretty crazy to me.

Here is a link to the proposals:
http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/Environment/ ... Street.htm

'Gently sloping' approach ramps are not the same as those awful road humps which litter the streets of Forest Hill.

Also, apparently Sydenham Road is quite wide for a high street and the narrowing should make it safer and the traffic flow faster where there are currently single traffic lanes because cars will not try to squeeze through, basically trying to make two lanes, and it would take less time to cross at the pedestrian crossings thus cars would have less time to wait.

Apparently, if those of us who support the proposals set up an alternative petition supporting the changes it could counteract this one.

Does anyone have any idea how to do this?

I do broadly support these changes, but still feel the pocket squares will not work until Sydenham road gets a drinking ban like other places in the borough and surrounding boroughs.

Maybe we could set up a petition about this to put pressure on the council who currently argue that it is not working elsewhere so there is no point having one in Sydenham.

I don't recall seeing groups of six or more drunks sitting (with their own furniture in tow often) or standing outside shops in Forest Hill, Catford or Brockley recently - has anyone else?

(Amended amount from 1,000 to 400, was told 1,000 by the officer, I should have checked myself, whoops!)
Last edited by poppy on 30 Oct 2009 13:09, edited 3 times in total.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The author of the petition is Gwyn Maysey of Burghill Road. She and a couple of other people (Tom & Tim) were responsible for distributing a yellow flysheet opposing the plan and asking traders for support sometime ago. It was much discussed here. I'll do a search and post a link.

EDIT: Found it http://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2795
You can see a list of petitioners here: http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/SaveSydenham/

Meanwhile I have posted a poll so we can see the split in STF opinion.

Admin
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

As this has now become a "sticky" and there were two threads I have amalgamated my two previous postings on the other Sydenham Road Pedestrian improvement thread and will re-post here.

With regard to the petition, apart from polling on STF, we should show Transport for London and Lewisham's highway planners that we approve of the plans by visiting the exhibition, educating ourselves about what is being proposed and completing the Feedback forms giving the thumbs up to their ideas. We should also encourage others to do the same. These Feedback forms will be analysed by Lewisham and Transport for London.

Four hundred and fifteen Feedback forms showing the local community's support should not be too difficult to achieve. With the exhibition due to run for at least another couple of months much higher support should be achievable. Current approval by Sydenham residents should negate any objections (and the petition) by those given incorrect information over a year ago.

If you missed the exhibition last Saturday, or want to see it again, the exhibition will open on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday this week between 5 pm and 8 pm and again on Saturday between 11 am and 3 pm.

The exhibition was well visited on Saturday and so far there have been few comments on this forum which is surprising

Frankly I am extremely impressed by the amount of detail and thought that has gone into redesigning the pedestrian part of our high street and especially the safer crossing at Newslands Park as well as trees and a new roundabout planted with ivy and seasonal bulbs!

Comments on options for a makeover of Station Approach are also invited.

A decision is yet to be made about the opening times for next week.
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

Hello Pat,

I popped in on Saturday also and thought it was excellent. I too am surprised that there isn't a great deal on the STF regarding the exhibition [unless I've missed it] but I guess I just assumed it would be done as this site has been excellent thus far in keeping people abreast of developments.

Sycophancy over. The thing that surprised me most was how excellent the whole thing was. I spoke to both the chaps and they were both knowledgeable and enthusiastic. My partner and I both filled out a form each, as politely instructed.

I'd say to anyone to go. If really brings it 'to life' - especially as you are in situ when reading about all the plans. Don't be put off by having to sign-in! I thought it a slightly draconian measure when first asked but I now see how critical it is to know who has visited. Especially as it seems there's some skull-duggery afoot from the other lot! So to speak. :wink:
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

'Worried'...about motorists?
Maybe I'm mistaken...But I would have thought that most shoppers in the High Street would be locals?

Traffic calming ...A pretty good idea?

I would have also thought that less traffic in the High Street would have been good for everybody...Health [asthma, stress etc], injuries and the occasional fatality[inevitable when there is close proximity of fast moving metal and flesh], the general environment...

The future certainly does not belong to the petrol engine...But to a sensible environment and people-friendly integrated urban transport system [that includes two legs!!]
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

I have seen the planning and debating process behind the proposals for the Hight St, and must say they are very detailed and thoroughly well-considered.
Apart from the STF poll, do supporters of the plans need a formal petition to counter the objectors?
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

I would definately offer my support to a formal petition. The High Street is crying out for this improvement. I personally cannot wait for the works to start!
poppy

Post by poppy »

Thanks for the sticky admin.

I hope it helps. The officer seemed to think an alternative petition would be required and seemed quite concerned about the whole thing. "It might not happen", were his words, because of it!

Can you link directly to the plans too?:
http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/Environment/ ... Street.htm

It might be easier for anyone who has not seen them yet, I meant to put the link in my original post and will now add.
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

poppy wrote:"It might not happen"
I can't believe that a few hundred signatures on what is a national petition, open to tens of millions, would be enough to derail the current plans. Surely anyone who is worried about how long it takes to pass through Sydenham isn't someone the council should be listening to, as they clearly don't live here or want to stop off here. It's also beside the point, as the road is currently single-carriageway and will still be single-carriageway after the improvements.

I will definitely go to the exhibition on Saturday and restate all the views I've already outlined when I filled in the consultation document, namely that this is sorely needed in order for further regeneration of the area. I will also write to the council encouraging them to ignore the petition on the No10 website. Please do the same if you care about seeing the improvements realised.

How any business in Sydenham could be against the plans is beyond me. It will make the high street much more attractive as a place to shop.
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

I wouldn't be so confident that these plans will go ahead without a show of local support Chazza. What TfL have is a petition opposing the scheme. The petition is signed by local people - have a look through the names. They may be misguided and most may have signed without knowing details of the scheme - but the names are on a petition nevertheless.

With cuts to their budget, TfL might be very happy to save £3m on the grounds that the scheme "doesn't have local support". The guys running the exhibition certainly seem to have concerns that this may be the result.

What a pity that, of the 600 people who have already viewed this posting, only 15 have bothered to register their support.

Why doesn't someone set up an online petition supporting the proposal? Otherwise a once-in-a-generation opportunity to improve our high street could slip away.
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

What would be the stance on contacting those who have fillled out the 'feedback forms' at the exhibition to garner further support of those in favour? Either via an online or paper petition. Given that they have already signed in and from what I saw filled out a short form I can't imgaine a signature would be seen as too much.

BTW - I filled out my support in the poll but perhaps it needs to be made clearer that we are looking for people's views on this thread?

Whatever I can do to help combat the fairly militant, almost Daily Mail-esque tactics of the other lot just let me know. If it means going door-to-door I will do it.

Although I shall be playing with a straight bat and the truth of, as you say, missing out on the High St. regeneration shall be the compunction to sign!
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Having looked down the names of those who signed the petition there are quite a number I recognise.

I propose to email those whose details I have and say I note they signed this petition which closed last April. Having visited the exhibition in the high street I shall say I am wholly in favour of these proposals and hope that they, too, will visit the exhibition and see for themselves the improvements being proposed and will change their minds and support these ideas as do the majority of the residents in Sydenham.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained - I presume there are others who read this forum who recognise some of the petitioners names so why not join me in suggesting that they go see for themselves.
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

I've created an online petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/sydroad/

If you are concerned that the No10 petition will sway the decision on the current proposals, please sign this petition.

You could also drop an email to relevant people at Lewisham Council:

Steve Bullock - Mayor - steve.bullock@lewisham.gov.uk
Chris Best - Sydenham Councillor - cllr_chris.best@lewisham.gov.uk
Darien Goodwin - Head of Transport - transport@lewisham.gov.uk

We need to make a concerted effort to oppose the No10 "Save Sydenham" petition.
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

I think that's a good idea Pat, it would be ridiculous if these improvements were hampered by an old petition that hasn't been based on this exhibition.

While I may have my reservations about a few minor points (moving the bus stop closer to the station) the high street is in desperate need of these improvements. Having some raised road areas will slow the maniacs who race down this road at night well above the speed limit. I went to the exhibition earlier in the week & I was surprised by the couple of people in there who had no idea it was being planned.

There's also a page on the councils site with all the Exhibition details here if anyone cant make it, has PDF's of all the posters up in the shop...
http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/Environment/ ... bition.htm

Exhibition drop-in times this week
Monday 12 October 5pm-8pm
Wednesday 14 October 5pm-8pm
Thursday 15 October 5pm-8pm
Friday 16 October 5pm-8pm
Saturday 17 October 11am-3pm
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

Does anyone think it's worth leafleting the area to let non-forum users know about the new petition and making them aware of the threat posed by the No10 petition?
angela53

plans for Sydenham Road

Post by angela53 »

Chazza wrote:Does anyone think it's worth leafleting the area to let non-forum users know about the new petition and making them aware of the threat posed by the No10 petition?
I could have predicted this would happen. There are always people who oppose any change. Look at the plans for Crystal Palace Park !!
Sydenham needs this change desparately. I also notice some of the signage above some of the shops opposite the post office are in a disgraceful state as half missing or fallen off completely. There are more people who want to see improvements than not. I feel a petition for change is a good idea
MiniFox

Post by MiniFox »

Well done on the petition. I have signed.
Mr MiniFox and I were impressed by the exhibition and the attempts to consult.
We made the same comments about traffic only yesterday - that its single lane anyway...
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

One thing, has anyone asked how long they intend to take to do the actual works?
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

Chazza wrote:Does anyone think it's worth leafleting the area to let non-forum users know about the new petition and making them aware of the threat posed by the No10 petition?
Great idea Chazza. I would be willing, again, to put in some miles in this regard. If it meant knocking on neighbours doors also to drum up support then if needed, it wouldn't be a problem.

Pat's idea is an excellent one also. It seems some signatories are missing though? I did a quick skim-count and I only got to about 400? I wonder who is going to tackle Yorkie though! I hear his bark is as bad as his bite... Honestly, are these the tricks employed that not only have whole familes been corralled in but the dog also? The little terriers [pun intended!]
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

OK, I'll knock up some literature over the weekend. I'll phrase it in a fairly similar way to the petition, so if anyone has any comments/suggestions on the language used, please let me know.

Any suggestions for places to get this printed up? I don't think I could get away with a large print run at work.