Selfish Parkers in Tannsfeld Road

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Eagle

Selfish Parkers in Tannsfeld Road

Post by Eagle »

Spoke to an elderly lady yesterday who lives in Tannsfeld but is distressed by cars parking outside her house.
I know you do not own the parking space outside your house but please show consideration to others.
Only park outside your own house or a house you are visiting. Think of others.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

As you said, one doesn't own the piece of road outside one's house... So if someone has paid their road tax then why shouldn't one park where one likes within the law?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

She was very distressed about this
Her and her neighbour , who both have no cars , are even thinking of asking the council to lower the pavement so no body will park outside.

Sounds a bit drastic but should work.
nork1
Location: Banned myself - can't be bothered with the Greg/Ulysses show anymore

Post by nork1 »

Who's being selfish? They don't own cars and don't park there but don't want anyone else to park there either. How are the people who park there supposed to know that they're distressing someone by parking?
lbere

Post by lbere »

I live on a road where if Im lucky I can park somewhere on my road, hardly ever outside my own house, most of the time I have to park in the next road. I would not have the option of being able to have a dropped kerb on my road.

I could understand if these people had a car of their own and were unable to park outside the property, I know how tough that is with kids and heavy shopping, and any other factors that people may have to take into consideration.

Come on, they dont have a car.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Perhaps there are too many cars in an area built before the motorcar.

How many people really need their cars in SE26. Would it not be far more civilised without so many cars.
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

There are all sorts of problems here.

London, as I have said before, was not built with the car in mind. Our streets are not and were never meant for motorized traffic to the extent that we see today. But ever increasing numbers of cars have arrived on the scene and human beings have had to adapt. But, as we all know, things are getting beyond a joke.

It is an inescapable fact that we will have to adapt in future to a cityscape with far fewer private internal-combustion powered vehicles on our urban streets.

[Note my comments on the 'school run']
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Eagle, why were they distressed? It does sound very odd considering that they don't drive. I was assuming they had mobility issues or something....
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Just did not want to look out on a road full of cars. They remember , as I do , when our roads had few cars.
There is also a Public Car Park close by.
georgemichael

Post by georgemichael »

Maybe it's time they considered a first or second floor warden assisted accommodation. Or move to the country. It's all very suburban isn't it?
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

Don't get the drift, GM. Fewer cars is surely a good thing.
Please read my previous...[including my point about the school run.]
Also...We all have to get old...
But old doesn't necessarily mean daft.
And..are you meaning there's also something automatically wrong with 'suburban'?

Mind the stereotyping... Its a very comfortable trap to fall into...

And another thing...Miss the old concept of front gardens rather than concrete parking bays for the four-wheeled expensive deities we are all so fond of these days. Concrete / tarmac VS plants / grass / bushes / flowers etc

Has anybody yet read Betjeman's 'Inexpensive Progress'?
You may find it interesting... You may find it at...
www.johnbetjeman.com/inexpensive.html
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Well said Trawlerman.
Front gardens with flowers are fast vanishing to layers of concrete.
Not sure how anybody could commit such a crime but many do.
dickp

Post by dickp »

I am distressed that it is not 25c outside.

Perhaps Lewisham should ban cold weather?

Or perhaps I should buy a jumper, and just accept that the world is not as I would like it.
MartinH

Re: Selfish Parkers in Tannsfeld Road

Post by MartinH »

[quote="Eagle"]Spoke to an elderly lady yesterday who lives in Tannsfeld but is distressed by cars parking outside her house.
I know you do not own the parking space outside your house but please show consideration to others.
Only park outside your own house or a house you are visiting. Think of others.[/quo
------------------------------------------------
I visit the Nat.West bank at least once a week but I can't park outside it. I believe the lady you are referring to lives on the left going up to the high street. She's like a greyhound out of the trap if you happen to park outside her house.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

some people need to get a life.
I am a car owner/driver and i pay road tax.
I can park (legally) where i like. I don't have to consult nearby residents or businesses.

I don't mean to be harsh, but that's the way it is.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

and the title of the thread annoyned me somewhat. It is not the selfish parkers who infuriate, but the people who moan about legitimate activities whithn their comfort zone.

Get used to it.
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

Just so I'm clear, they are 'very distressed' about looking out at cars, really? That sounds quite bizarre to be honest but I assume you're being serious, they realise they live in London right?

What is selfish about parking legally on a road anyway, if they parked up into their driveway or started pulling doughnuts at 2 in the morning they would totally have my sympathy but parking legally doesn't I'm afraid. It's like saying people are selfish for using public bins.
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

Perhaps the ladies in question could just grow their hedges up higher than 5 or 6ft thus removing the 'distressing' view? Assuming this wouldn't block out natural light.

Failing that they could just dip their net curtains in tea, smoke incessantly, have bread 'n' dripping for supper, turn the wireless on and 'hey presto!' all those infernal cars will magically disappear as we once more find ourselves in the halycon days of the 50's?

Sorry for being glib but if they have 'on street' parking then they cannot do a blinking thing about people parking outside their homes. Presumably this is not a new phenomenon? After all jam-jars have been a fixture for over 101 years since the Model-T Ford?
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

Before the Model T... [any colour so long as it is black]
......................................................................................

Of course, we all have a right to park wherever we like...within the law.

But right and what is right are not always the same thing.
I'm not just talking about parking.
Do check out Betjeman. Not really an old duffer...You don't have to take my word for it.
Ignorance is not always bliss...
Julsb

Post by Julsb »

Fabulous thread. I actually thought Eagle might be serious for around, oh, half a second.