Sirens

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

nimbyboy wrote:No i'm sure it was not just for fun..but when you think about it flying a helicopter tracking villians and high speed police car chases must be quite good fun.. I'm sure when these guys and girls sign up its not to sit behind a desk
How does whether or not it is "fun" to be a police officer have anything to do with the appropriateness of the use of Helicopters and Cars?

And I'm certain any amount of "fun" in the job would be tempered with the fact that a lot of policing activities are, in fact, very dull.

Indeed, I don't think ordinary PCs ever get to fly the chopper....I believe they recruit an already qualified pilot direct.
Annie

Post by Annie »

:wink:
Fatbackfour

Post by Fatbackfour »

You need to lighten up.. I'm sure the fact that your a trained pilot doesnt make it potentially less fun, and I'm sure the met wouldnt let a new P C loose in a high speed police car.
I,m just exploring the fact that it can be fun whilst at the same time a very important job..
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I removed the posts of a returning troll as his last post was unacceptably offensive and abusive. This left a number of posts responding to his chav taunt hanging in the air. I have removed them too so the discussion could return to the subject matter if anybody remembers what it was ... I apologise for not sorting this out earlier

Admin
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

Mrs.E wrote:I take offence to your view that maestro's post was 'only mildly sarky'.

It seems to me that far too often posts are being mocked by a core group of people on this forum.

It isn't everyone on here but I have had countless posts ridiculed by the same 5 or so frequent users.
Not trying to stir anything up and I can see your point but forums are full of people who are smarter better more inteligent and experienced than you, they will redicule everything you say and when you try to contribute they will jump on you and show the world just how supirior they all are. Not......

I've been so antogonized in the past that I've seen red and lost the plot to the point where I could have ended up with a caution lol. just because some smart alec decided it was funny to mug me off on a forum and say that I was not good enough to contribute in a round about way. In the end though you have to just ignore it or even avoid such places if they upset you. it never is a reflection of the community or you as a person or them, tbf just a reflection of some show off types you meet on the net, and I have learned that the best way to deal with it is to ignore it. I made the mistake of reacting in the past but in the end its all just kids in a playground, big school for so called adults. This is just an opinion and not intended to inflame anyone because my experience has shown me that maybe some of us ar'nt cut out for the general chit chat type forums.
Last edited by CaptainCarCrash on 1 Dec 2009 07:35, edited 1 time in total.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

I think the fact that most posters are anonymous encourages the sort of behaviour which Mrs E understandably complains of. When I joined this forum I decided to do so under my real name, partly because I knew that that would deter me from making the sort of sarcastic, cruel or bullying comments which I might otherwise be tempted to post. (In any case, the idea of a 'local community forum' where people can shelter behind a pseudonym has always struck me as odd - like going to a street party with a mask on!)
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

Unfortunately Robin, posting under your real name doesn't prevent you getting abused or even being abusive.

The reason STF so often descends into rancour and abuse is that it is insufficiently regulated. Abuse can only be dealt with by a clear and straightforward attitude from admin. And that really isn't going to happen.

I've lost count of the number of very well informed and community-minded people in SE26 who used to contribute to STF and have a great deal to say but tell me that they've stopped because of the lack of a fair and objective referee.

When individuals have received abusive emails to their home address emails and admin refuses to intervene, its hardly surprising that so many people are "scared off".
CaptainCarCrash

All forums suffer from this and can be self regulating to a point and I believe this one to have the right balance from what I can see. You need a thick skin to a point and the administration of a site such as this could be a 24/7 job and is unsustainable or damaging if over regulated.

Forums can be and are paradoxical injunctions and if they are over policed become dull, we need fredom of speach but you have to be responsible with it but there will always be dischord because it is human nature, you cant get on with everyone and on the otherhand is it really worth it.

I'm bored I think I'll go and wind a few people up on the net is another thing entirley from what I can see it happens all the time and some people just cant help it.

OH yeah! Sirens I can hear them all the time.
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

Sirens can be predatory and dangerous...Didn't they try and lure Odysseus onto the rocks?
CaptainCarCrash

My spelling stinks, You have definatley chosen the right username HEHE!.

Correction my proof reading stinks.

Spelling

Proof Reading

Proof Reading

Spelling

?
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

Trawlerman wrote:Sirens can be predatory and dangerous...Didn't they try and lure Odysseus onto the rocks?
I think that's one of the best scenes from the film 'O Brother, where art thou'...although, interestingly that's not why I chose my moniker.

Anyone who grew up in the late 70's, early 80's will remember Ulysses as a CBBC cartoon (or whatever CBBC was called then) titled 'Ulysses 31'.
CaptainCarCrash

I can remember the song sadly. When ever I see your name the god awful tune reverberates around my head.
MrsSJME

Post by MrsSJME »

As a friend of Mrs E, I was very shocked to hear that when she last tried to log in, she found that her password didn't match her username. She then clicked to say she had forgotten her password, only for a screen to pop up to say her account was inactive!

......hummmmm.....freedom of speech........unless people don't like what you say.

Thank you to those who have, to an extent, supported some of the views of Mrs E. Guess I'll be 'deactivated' next - bye then!
CaptainCarCrash

MrsSJME wrote:As a friend of Mrs E, I was very shocked to hear that when she last tried to log in, she found that her password didn't match her username. She then clicked to say she had forgotten her password, only for a screen to pop up to say her account was inactive!

......hummmmm.....freedom of speech........unless people don't like what you say.

Thank you to those who have, to an extent, supported some of the views of Mrs E. Guess I'll be 'deactivated' next - bye then!
This is what I hate about forums, because you can get yourself in a right old tiz over stuff that is'nt really that important in the big scheme of the world and everything. You say Tomato I say Tomaita Tomato Tomaita Patato Pataita Let's call the whole thing off. Lol..
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

mikecg wrote:I can remember the song sadly. When ever I see your name the god awful tune reverberates around my head.
I'm not sure what you take such umbrage with mikecg? :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ4c1X5ene8

It certainly bests most of what pollutes the hit-parade these days!?

My favourite cartoon of that time was this*...Anime freaks will see it as a seminal point, me? I just loved it! G-FORCE: BATTLE OF THE PLANETS!

* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWMY4U1g4pg
CaptainCarCrash

I remember G-Force I loved its quirky style and at the time ANIME was'nt a phrase banded about. So your about the same age as me which is to be safe between 36 and 42?
CaptainCarCrash

I'm not sure what you take such umbrage with mikecg? :wink:

Not a pop at you, just that opening lyric. it's all I could remember lol.
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

Seems like I've started a right old wander down memory lane!

Certainly a bit of light relief from some of the stuff I've been reading on the forum!
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

Close, 33 and 3/4 (Next year in Feb I'll be 34). :lol:

I was only joshing that you didn't like Ulysses 31.

Funnily enough I liked all those 80's cartoons:

Transformers
Dungeons and Dragons
Thundercats

I think my first crush was with the Princess on He-Man!

Sorry all, I'm not sure this is the place for this type of discussion. Perhaps the Town Pub instead?
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

I can't actually see where people have been so offensive... could anyone enlighten me?