Sydenham receives £3.5 million for new youth centre

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Chris Best

Sydenham receives £3.5 million for new youth centre

Post by Chris Best »

I am delighted to share the news that Lewisham has been successful in the £3.5 million bid to redevelop Sydenham Wells Park Hall into a fabulous new youth centre. Youth facilities including a new Youth Centre was voted the top priority for Sydenham at the first Sydenham Assembly in March 2008 and we have been working on delivering this.

My thanks for the input from young people and a range of partners who gave their support when officers put the bid together for the "my place" programme funded by the Department for Children and Families (DCSF). Lewisham is one of three London Boroughs to receive a share of the £31m funding aimed at delivering world class youth centres across England. This will provide positive activities for young people living in the Sydenham area and will be developed on the existing Sydenham Wells Park Hall space. The current building has subsidence and this is a wonderful opportunity to build a new centre open from 9am to 10pm seven days a week.

Also thanks to those who completed the survey as whilst this will be a focus for young people it will also be a resource for the whole of the community.

Please click on the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79uZNt2RcEs for my festive message and scenes of Sydenham.

Cllr Chris Best
Last edited by Chris Best on 29 Dec 2009 16:05, edited 2 times in total.
Sydenham

Post by Sydenham »

This is really good news for all residents and the sooner this cash is turned into a working centre the better. Well done to all who pushed the bid through - a great new year's gift for the area.
SydenhamHillAndy

Post by SydenhamHillAndy »

Wow, this is great news. Does anyone know what sort of facilities it will have?
Chris Best

Post by Chris Best »

Yes please see the link for the Mayor and Cabinet report on the 16 September - http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres ... er2009.PDF.

The capital project will be to deliver a bold and robust contemporary building that wraps around an external activity space linking well with the local park. Inside, the building will be open, dynamic and fitted with state-of-the-art and industry-standard facilities including:
• Multi-use games area
• Multi-use Hall
• Climbing Wall
• Youth Theatre and green rooms
• IT/Education zone
• Fitness suite gym
• Agency/youth provision
• Multi purpose/hot desk area
• Storage facilities

We will be working on the plans with young people in the New Year and I will keep you updated on progress.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I agree welcome that it is being spent here but am surprised HMC can afford to give any money away at all at the moment with out ginormous debts.
Should be cutting eXpenditure before international investors walk away from the UK
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Wow, the planned facilities sound amazing, its an excellent location for this kind of facility and brilliant news for the Wells Park area. This is by far the best use of any money available as it will steer youth away from crime and get them involved in beneficial activities of all kinds.

In the long run this will save money. People who have somethign to do won't be so likely to get sucked into crime. And people who feel good about themselves will be more likely to get jobs and not go on the dole & get into crime later on.

Plus it sounds like facilities that the whole community will benefit from.

This is the best news I've heard for a while!
sean

Post by sean »

Festive message!! Thinks she's the Queen now does she. :roll:
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

Great news for the take away shop!!!!!
multisync

Post by multisync »

Yes "eagle" I agree and great news for the residents! There are enough problems in the Wells Park area already I don't know if they were consulted about this.It seems another historic building is to bite the dust in Sydenham!
incognitoX

Post by incognitoX »

This is a great idea
Young people need somewhere to go rather than hang around

Please dont feel this a problem
Think positive
multisync

Post by multisync »

But they will hang around when it closes.But that will make a roaring trade for the chicken shop I suppose!!!
smith

crap

Post by smith »

What about the people that cant make it to the sydenham assembly meetings, why weren't the locals asked if they wanted this on there doorstep??? and i dont mean people down the high St/ thorps area or even longton grove this wont affect any of you but will the people of wells park. lets just throw money away what the hell.
goonerchamp

Post by goonerchamp »

is it too late to tell them where they can shove this stupid waste of money ? - they can open another shop like what they have done to the old curtain shop know !! WTF is this council on !??
multisync

Post by multisync »

Were the residents of Wells Park road area ever consulted about this youth centre,I DON"T THINK SO! Its all well and good saying the youth of today need somewhere to go, but I don't suppose the people who said it would want it on there doorstep and until 10pm doesn't bear thinking about!
Chris Best

Post by Chris Best »

Just to come back on these last few posts. Yes local residents were consulted as part of the Sydenham Assembly process and for people who can't make the meetings the notes are posted up on the Sydenham Assembly web site. Young people and residents wanted to replace the existing youth centre that has subsidence - this is going to be a fabulous new building to replace one that is currently not fit for purpose.

Rather than just take a negative view of the provision for young people and the rest of the community why not get involved in working up the proposals. The Centre will have a range of activities and it would be helpful to hear what facilities residents would make use of. Send me an email if you want to get involved - and try to come along to the next Assembly meeting on the 4 March to join in the discussion.
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

You should ask the local residents what it was like when they had a youth club in St Barts crypt. Once it was closed there was mayhem outside. Large groups of black kids as many as a hundred terrorising the residents before they all charged down Sydenham High St no doubt frightening anyone in there way.. From what I can gather it was not the organisers/supervisors responsibilty after they left the premises.

I am not being negative or rascist I am just telling you as it was.

If I wanted to be negative ......if the Council deal with this like they have dealt with the Forest Hill swimming pools I think we will have a very long wait for it to open.
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

The Eagle wrote:I am not being negative or rascist I am just telling you as it was.
No? Not how it sounds to me.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Well I live in the Wells Park area and I am delighted about the new youth centre. Our residents association which represents the whole road sent a letter of support for the centre. I have not heard of a single person against it.

You've got to remember this centre is not an old style youth-club ie. an empty hall with youths running around it!, which I think is what a lot of the detractors on here are thinking of.

This is completely different, its a purpose built youth centre which will provide loads of activities and its an educational facility as well with advice and support.
smith

Post by smith »

Residents association?????????? surely everyone living on wells park road and roads off of it should know about this, ive lived on peters path for over 20yrs and have never heard of it let alone received a leaflet through my letterbox. Not everyone has access to the internet not everyone has time to get to these poxy little Hitler meetings, what should of been done is everyone affected by this big pile of dog poo which will just bring more unwanted little S*its to the area and bring more crime, should of been asked there opinions door to door.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Well smith maybe you should take more interest in your area where you live, instead of getting all angry after people have tried to make a difference and improve the lives of young people in the area. There have been plenty of leaflets through the doors about this, but I expect you're one of those people with a big pitbull that frightens all the leafleters off.