The Girls House

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Wispy Wonder

Post by Wispy Wonder »

Although I think the location for this project isn't ideal, I fully support it's objectives. After all, there's nothing worse than not understanding oneself as a female - I do that all the time. And personal boundaries... don't mention them, I pop mine daily.

I am more concerned about timing though. How about putting it on the back burner temporarily, maybe just until the pavements in the borough are safe to walk on, all the potholes are filled, the fly-tipping hotspots are tackled, when there are enough planning enforcers, dog wardens, street cleaners and park attendants, when there's enough salt to grit the roads and pavements properly in icy weather, oh, and someone can be bothered to take down the Christmas tree and decorations from the High St.

Get those jobs done, then yes, the project will be a priority.
dickp

Post by dickp »

I can tell what my expertise is.

I run a small business. I do not branch out into new ventures, unless I am sure I am offering a unique product, or can offer it better (or cheaper) than existing providers.

This project does none of those things. Whoever decided to fund it clearly has more money than sense, and clearly has no concept of making tough decisions about spending priorities in a tough economic climate. Never mind, they will hopefully be out of a job themselves come the May election.

You only have to vist the website to realise it duplicates existing facilities. Money that could be spend more cost-effectively on existing providers will be spend on rent, sofas, lighting, websit developers, removal companies (twice), on-site staff and equipment. It is temporary, and so cannot build up a following or make a lasting difference.

Take the time to visit the website, including its forum. It really does tell you all you need to know.

I am not against what the project is doing. I am against the method by which is it being delivered.

Anyway, I suspect we're not going to get any further with this debate, so I am calling it a day.

I look forward to being provd wrong.
Last edited by dickp on 28 Jan 2010 09:42, edited 1 time in total.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Whilst not wishing to critisise Pat , I am pleased , if not surprised , that many people agree there are questions to be asked.
For instance someone said they would not want to go to GP. Surely if a medical problem they should go directly there. The GP will probably not advise parents but in some cases they should be told so they can help the young lady.
digime2007

Post by digime2007 »

You can't make this stuff up! Absolutely priceless. It would be funny if it wasn't so tragic.

How does running your own business and looking at a website qualify you to make the judgements you call here? I don't see anything more than 'bloke down the pub'/Daily Mail opinions.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Digame
Please explain.
I assume Public Money and many people seem to agree duplicating services already in place.
If under 18 then parents should be first point of call.
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

Eagle, you keep saying "should" - they "should" see their GP, they "should" talk to their parents.

But the reality is for a variety of reasons some people can't, won't or don't.

Regardless of whether you think society has a moral obligation to help these people, the fact is that lots of public money is spent on "mopping up" after things have gone wrong.

Surely it's better for everyone that there are attempts to tackle these issues before thing go wrong?

I can't guarantee that this particular scheme will be a success but I'm confident from broader experience that it will be based on a sound understanding of what the issues are for young women and the consequences of not tackling these issues.
MiniFox

Post by MiniFox »

I said I wouldn't wade into this argument again on account of how lame it is to enter into online scuffles with strangers when I've a perfectly good family at home with whom I can be disagreeable to my heart's content. But, I've read some things on this topic that, even by the standards of some forum contributors, are about as unpalatable as it gets

Regardless of your position on what taxpayers' money should be spent on and whether this project is one of those things (and that's a presumption, do we know that this is state funded? Do we know the dance-mats were purchased and not donated?) there is a distinct tone that victims of abuse are unworthy of state help from some (but not all) detractors of this project. That trying to prevent it isn't worthwhile.

I was an abused adolescent, by someone who was actually in a position of trust and the situation was extremely volatile and complicated. Good for all of you that your upbringing was not thus. I am delighted to hear that the miniscule amount of money that might have gone on helping me to see it for what it was before anything happened rather than live with the life sentence that invariably accompanies abuse would be better spent filling a road. Or being given to a youth club. Thanks very much.

Not all of us are from trash, whose offspring I suppose bring it on themselves, having found themselves born to trash. Hey, some of us even have jobs. I have never ever had a state penny of "mollycoddling" - I dealt with it, in adulthood, paid for privately by my own high-rate taxpaying, private-sector pound.

The lack of empathy or insight displayed is giddying. People wonder why abuse so often doesnt come out until years later, if at all... Read this thread and wonder some more
digime2007

Post by digime2007 »

Minifox. I decided there wasn't any point continuing the discussion as well.

I'm just jumping back in to say thanks for sharing those comments.
jman

Invite to The Girls House

Post by jman »

Hi everyone, my name is Julia and I am one of the staff at The Girls House. We have been very excited at all of your posts on this forum, and have been following them with great interest!

We would like to invite you all to The Girls House on Sunday 28th Feb from 2 - 4pm for afternoon tea and a chat. It would be a great opportunity for us to meet you all and tell you a bit more about us and what we do, and of course hear from yourselves.

If you are interested you can email me on juliasmansell@hotmail.co.uk or fill in the contact form on the Girls House website www.thegirlshouse.co.uk.

We look forward to hearing from you, and hopefully seeing you on the 28th!

Kind regards

Julia :D
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

Thank you for the invite Julia - I hope people who have commented and asked questions on this thread take you up on it, to find out a bit more about what you're up to!

I'd be really interested to come along - I'm not sure whether I'll be around that weekend but if I am I'll definitely come down and see you!

Good luck with the programme! :D
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Yes Julia
I appreciate your kind offer. If I can will try and attend
simon

Post by simon »

Just to let you know that Julia Mansell and Christina Fuller from The Girls House will be guests of Ingrid Marsh on her show on Sydenham Community Radio between 7-8 pm tomorrow (Thursday) night. Details of how to contact the show are below.

How to understand your teenage daughters?

Young girls seem to be unhappier than ever according to a recent report. The chief reason for their unhappiness however, is not because their parents have split, nor because they are unhappy at school. The chief reason for young girls being unhappy is, because of the way they look!!!!….Crikey - What is the world coming to?
Breast enlargements are up 150% - the increase attributed to teenage girls
Young teenage girls are three times more likely to be admitted into hospital for alcohol poisoning
Teenage pregnancy is also on the increase.
Sadest of all, a quarter of Young teenage girls are being abused by their boyfriends.
Does the ‘The Girls House‘ in Sydenham with their workshops and courses help to address some of these issues?
Joining me on 18th February, for a cup of tea and a slice of cake is Julia Mansell and Christina Fuller, a volunteer from ‘The Girls House’. Their aim is to engage young females making them aware of services locally, their rights if assaulted, to set personal boundaries and to understand themselves better, to name but a few.
Together, we will help Get the Groove Back in you as a parent trying to cope with it all and our Young Females.
If you have any questions you would like answered during the show, you can email studio@sydenhamradio.co.uk in advance, re: The getting your groove back show - GYGB Girls
LISTEN LIVE ON http://sydenhamradio.co.uk/ AT 7 -8PM. SET YOUR ALARM CLOCKS - NOW
Last edited by simon on 18 Feb 2010 17:59, edited 1 time in total.
DaveT

missed it..

Post by DaveT »

Clearly not paying enough attention - so I missed what I'm sure was an ear-opening broadcast.....

Any chance of it being published as a podcast somewhere?

(It's not on the listen again page yet....)
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

You've not missed your chance - it's TONIGHT at 7pm. :D
simon

Post by simon »

Thanks Weeble
Just to confirm the show is on at 7.00pm tonight, Thrusday 18th February.
nomie44

The Girls House

Post by nomie44 »

Out of the mouths of babes... my nearly-four-year-old is very interested in the Girls House, which we walk past most mornings. When I said he couldn't go in because it was just for girls his reply was "well where's the boys' one?"
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Yes, my 5 year old son is hoping the old Proctors office will be the Boy's House! It makes sense, doesn't it?!! :lol: