Great News for Cricket Funding in Mayow Park

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
mummycat

Great News for Cricket Funding in Mayow Park

Post by mummycat »

Following a press embargo, we can now reveal great news for the future of sport in Mayow Park (and Hilly Fields).

Just before Christmas, Parksport (a joint enterprise with Envirowork, Teach Sport and Lewisham Council) were awarded £75,000 towards the funding of the construction of cricket squares in both parks.

Then just before New Year, we were told Parksport had been successful in securing £243,008 from The Big Lottery Fund towrads capital funding and 3 year project development.

Then last week Peter Ranken (Envirowork) met with the ECB at Lords where discussion about further funding could total £600,000 for the whole project.

Peter comments, "It will allow local people to develop their sporting skills within the borough rather than having to go outside, giving them the opportunity to get involved with community cricket and football teams and become the sporting stars of the future."

To quote Mike Gatting in the Lewisham press release, "The ECB is pleased to be associated with this worthy project and to give a boost to the community's cricket facilities. It has been planned to imput new impetus into the playing future of the community. I am confident that as the project will go from strength to strength."

This really is great news for the park and we look forward to work commencing on the cricket squares in May/June this year. :D

For more details: www.mayowpark.wordpress.com
Last edited by mummycat on 1 Feb 2010 13:17, edited 1 time in total.
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

Great!

I might volunteer to teach some kids cricket when it's all done.
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

Exciting news mummycat.

I thought we might have more regular sightings of the 'greater hairy Australian warbler', a rare breed of bird indeed, down this way once the plans go ahead! :D
lbere

Post by lbere »

Well done to all!!!!!

Look forward to my children using it.
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Me too, Lbere.

Of course organised cricket coaching means a presence of authority in the park, along with the designated Park Keeper we're getting in March should lower crime and anti-social behaviour that we've been witnessing over the last few years. :D
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

Ulysses wrote:Exciting news mummycat.

I thought we might have more regular sightings of the 'greater hairy Australian warbler', a rare breed of bird indeed, down this way once the plans go ahead! :D
had to do a double take...i thought this read 'greater hairy Australian wanker'....either way it's not far off the mark ahahah!
Bram

Post by Bram »

Admin:

Time to move Lambchops? Do we really need this level of exposure?
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

Bram wrote:Admin:

Time to move Lambchops? Do we really need this level of exposure?
To where? And for why?

Deary me.
Miserableold-ish git

Post by Miserableold-ish git »

Jumping the gun abit, but how will use of the Cricket Nets work ?
Schools in the Morning/Afternoon and Cricket Clubs in the evening ?
Time for individuals at weekends ?
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Hi MOG,

I'm not sure how much time will be allocated for certain community groups at the moment - I'll try and find out and get back to you.
Miserableold-ish git

Post by Miserableold-ish git »

Thank you:
I've played for "pub" teams before and enjoy a Bowl now and again.
Mind you, I do bat at Number 12...................
:)
summerbreeze

Post by summerbreeze »

This is great news!

With fielding 8 adults sides and 3 colts teams at the club my son plays for, based off catford hill it is about time we had more cricket squares within the borough to help accomodate games. Without having to travel to Bromley borough for use of pitches for league home games.

Well done to all those that secured funding it is not an easy process.